Water pump won't shut off until housing tapped - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-14-2016, 12:30 AM   #1
Member
 
dglasrud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Kimberley, British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 escape 17B
Posts: 63
Water pump won't shut off until housing tapped

New Artis Water pump pumps but won' t turn off until I tap the housing. Any suggestions?
__________________

dglasrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:49 AM   #2
Site Team
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 5,762
My guess would be a bad pressure switch in the pump, as it's new, I'd take it back. Some have an adjustment screw, look in the manual if you have it and want to mess around.
__________________

__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:48 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North of Hertel, Wisconsin
Trailer: TBD
Posts: 2,102
In my experience, if the pressure switch is sticking , adjusting the pressure setting or the range setting will not solve the problem.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:51 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
bdornbush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Santa Rosa, California
Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Posts: 416
I just installed one and when I first turn on the pump, it runs until I turn on a faucet, then it changes its sound and turns off after pressurizing the lines.
__________________
Bill Dornbush
http://dornbush.net
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:09 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Baytown, Texas
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 17
Don't know if this helps, we picked up our 5.0TA in May. The pump wouldn't stop pumping as it should when it becomes pressurized or when an open faucet is closed. I contacted Escape and they sent instructions to adjust the pump and problem solved.
bnjones173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:56 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
bdornbush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Santa Rosa, California
Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjones173 View Post
Don't know if this helps, we picked up our 5.0TA in May. The pump wouldn't stop pumping as it should when it becomes pressurized or when an open faucet is closed. I contacted Escape and they sent instructions to adjust the pump and problem solved.
What were the instructions?
__________________
Bill Dornbush
http://dornbush.net
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:50 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Baytown, Texas
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 17
Sorry guys but I don't know how to include photos to this message, but here were the instructions.

Please use the instructions below to adjust the water pump and stop it from continuously cycling.

Using a 5/64" Allen wrench, back out the set screw that has 3 Philips head screws surrounding it. (Shown in Fig. 1) There is only a spring behind the screw, it will not leak if you completely remove the screw...however leave it inserted, just fully backed off.

Fig. 1 Fig. 2.

Then switch the water pump on with all faucets closed.

Slowly back out the set screw that has 4 Philips head screws surrounding it. (Shown in Fig. 2) Turning the set screw counter-clockwise until the pump stops.
bnjones173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:32 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 5,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjones173 View Post
Sorry guys but I don't know how to include photos to this message, but here were the instructions.

Please use the instructions below to adjust the water pump and stop it from continuously cycling.

Using a 5/64" Allen wrench, back out the set screw that has 3 Philips head screws surrounding it. (Shown in Fig. 1) There is only a spring behind the screw, it will not leak if you completely remove the screw...however leave it inserted, just fully backed off.

Fig. 1 Fig. 2.

Then switch the water pump on with all faucets closed.

Slowly back out the set screw that has 4 Philips head screws surrounding it. (Shown in Fig. 2) Turning the set screw counter-clockwise until the pump stops.
Can you tell me what pump you have ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:04 AM   #9
Member
 
John David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Rossland, British Columbia
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 classic "Escapade", Tow: Nissan Xterra off-road 6spd manual
Posts: 93
Water pump blues

We picked up our 19 on May 20 this year. Our Artist water pumpark worked well for a month then would not turn off when the faucets were shut. Escape sent us the same instructions as shown above and they worked. The set screw in figure one is the bypass pressure. The set screw in fig 2 is the shut-off pressure..

The instructions worked well but it was really hard to get at the business end of that pump. There were rubber and plastic plugs and covers over the set srew registers.

John
John David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:12 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 5,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by John David View Post
We picked up our 19 on May 20 this year. Our Artist water pumpark worked well for a month then would not turn off when the faucets were shut. Escape sent us the same instructions as shown above and they worked. The set screw in figure one is the bypass pressure. The set screw in fig 2 is the shut-off pressure..

The instructions worked well but it was really hard to get at the business end of that pump. There were rubber and plastic plugs and covers over the set srew registers.

John
In 2013 they were using a different pump which I am on number 3 now . Ours is a Shurflo . Maybe you will have better luck with yours . I cut a access door out of bed ply so I can get to it easier. That really hurts laying on your side trying to get your arms in there . Now if I have to fiddle with pump I move bed out of way and sit on ply . I don't have the Escape mattress anymore . Have latex instead , so it rolls out of the way and is very comfortable . Good luck with your new pump . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:31 AM   #11
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 19,398
can anyone post "fig#1" and "Fig#2" for clarification purposes, thanks.
__________________
Jim
It is not the years in your life but the life in your years Lincoln
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:10 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
bdornbush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Santa Rosa, California
Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjones173 View Post
Sorry guys but I don't know how to include photos to this message, but here were the instructions.

Please use the instructions below to adjust the water pump and stop it from continuously cycling.

Using a 5/64" Allen wrench, back out the set screw that has 3 Philips head screws surrounding it. (Shown in Fig. 1) There is only a spring behind the screw, it will not leak if you completely remove the screw...however leave it inserted, just fully backed off.

Fig. 1 Fig. 2.

Then switch the water pump on with all faucets closed.

Slowly back out the set screw that has 4 Philips head screws surrounding it. (Shown in Fig. 2) Turning the set screw counter-clockwise until the pump stops.
Here are the figures.

I tried the same instructions but unfortunately, I couldn't get the water pump to shut off, so it's back to customer support. At least I can still pump water and just shut off the pump at the switch as a workaround.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg waterpump1.jpg (59.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg waterpump2.jpg (59.0 KB, 33 views)
__________________
Bill Dornbush
http://dornbush.net
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:42 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
davescape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Surrey, British Columbia
Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2015 Dodge Ram 5.7 Hemi
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by John David View Post
The instructions worked well but it was really hard to get at the business end of that pump. There were rubber and plastic plugs and covers over the set srew registers. John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
In 2013 they were using a different pump which I am on number 3 now . Ours is a Shurflo . Maybe you will have better luck with yours . I cut a access door out of bed ply so I can get to it easier. That really hurts laying on your side trying to get your arms in there . Now if I have to fiddle with pump I move bed out of way and sit on ply . Pat
Our Artis pump wouldn't stop either. I checked out the situation today. There's an access port cut in the plywood under the mattress with a thin plywood cover and no caps on the set screws. The build quality is always evolving. I just fiddled with the screws from the bottom and was successful, it seems. I've got a broken Shurflo pump from my previous trailer that I'll probably repair and carry as a spare. Seems like a weak link
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:48 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 5,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by davescape View Post
Our Artis pump wouldn't stop either. I checked out the situation today. There's an access port cut in the plywood under the mattress with a thin plywood cover and no caps on the set screws. The build quality is always evolving. I just fiddled with the screws from the bottom and was successful, it seems. I've got a broken Shurflo pump from my previous trailer that I'll probably repair and carry as a spare. Seems like a weak link
If I have to go to number 4 , Oliver has changed to a pump called Remco I might try . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:12 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 5,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by davescape View Post
Our Artis pump wouldn't stop either. I checked out the situation today. There's an access port cut in the plywood under the mattress with a thin plywood cover and no caps on the set screws. The build quality is always evolving. I just fiddled with the screws from the bottom and was successful, it seems. I've got a broken Shurflo pump from my previous trailer that I'll probably repair and carry as a spare. Seems like a weak link
Glad they made you a access for your pump . I made my own . The bed is not escapes though so it will roll to the side . Latex and foam and air . That really hurt trying to get to pump . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:26 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
If I have to go to number 4 , Oliver has changed to a pump called Remco I might try .
There are at least three Remco pumps in their Power RV line that would be suitable:
3200
5200
Aquajet

The Aquajet is variable-speed, so the pump speeds up and slows down as necessary to match the water flow determined by how much you have opened a faucet, instead of cycling on and off rapidly. Variable speed is nice, but it would be a feature upgrade from any Escape pump.

When I saw one of the other items in Remco's Power RV line I realized why the name was familiar to me: they make equipment for flat-towing a vehicle behind a motorhome. The Towing Pump is for circulating transmission fluid in an automatic transmission that is not supposed to be flat-towed; a motorhome owner told me his story of burning up multiple pumps due to a poorly designed installation advised by Remco. Maybe the pumps themselves are good...
Brian B-P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:54 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 5,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
There are at least three Remco pumps in their Power RV line that would be suitable:
3200
5200
Aquajet

The Aquajet is variable-speed, so the pump speeds up and slows down as necessary to match the water flow determined by how much you have opened a faucet, instead of cycling on and off rapidly. Variable speed is nice, but it would be a feature upgrade from any Escape pump.

When I saw one of the other items in Remco's Power RV line I realized why the name was familiar to me: they make equipment for flat-towing a vehicle behind a motorhome. The Towing Pump is for circulating transmission fluid in an automatic transmission that is not supposed to be flat-towed; a motorhome owner told me his story of burning up multiple pumps due to a poorly designed installation advised by Remco. Maybe the pumps themselves are good...
I need to try something different for #4 Brian . I have a 22 year Shurflo on my water distiller never a problem . Had also each in previous RV's long life .Once a Year is a little unacceptable . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:02 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I need to try something different for #4 Brian .
...
Once a Year is a little unacceptable .
I agree. I suppose any brand with a good recommendation could be worth trying.
Brian B-P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:37 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 5,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I agree. I suppose any brand with a good recommendation could be worth trying.
Thanks for that . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:30 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
bdornbush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Santa Rosa, California
Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Posts: 416
The Artic replacement pump worked for a short while then began running all the time. It did pump water. I tried the adjustment as shown above but with no success. I asked Escape for a replacement and they said that Artis wants to deal directly with US customers. I called them. They told me that their pumps have a 2 year warranty. They told me that the adjustment instructions from Escape were wrong. You should turn the bypass adjustment all the way in, not all the way out, then adjust the pressure setting. I tried that but no luck, the pump still runs all the time. I sent the warranty paperwork to them and got an RA number, and I mailed the pump to them today. I hope they are as prompt in getting me a good pump as they are in getting me an RA number as right now I have no pump in place so the water system is out of commission.
__________________

__________________
Bill Dornbush
http://dornbush.net
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×