Water tank security - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2015, 12:16 PM   #1

Trailer: '15 Escape 5.0 TA
Water tank security

Last weekend we went camping with no hookups and filled our fresh water tank to nearly full. I didn't really pay attention to it until we made a stop and I did my normal walk around. I looked under the trailer and then noticed that the water tank had a considerable sag in the middle. A full tank weighs about 224 lbs, which is far amount of weight at the back of the trailer. A bumpy road would put a fair amount of stress on the attach points. In the future, I may consider dropping the tank and welding angle brackets in the center to add another strap. Anyone else notice this and have any concerns? Maybe I just think about things too much! The picture is shown with the tank nearly empty and is attached to just show the location of the straps. Thanks, Bob
Attached Thumbnails
20150801_140853.jpg  
"How can I be lost, if I have no place to go"
t-twnbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:30 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Many Stick trailers are like this as was mu Starcraft. My brother has a Jayco with the fresh tank centered over one of the axles. If he puts more then 1/4 tank of water in it it sags and rests on the axle.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-twnbob View Post
Last weekend we went camping with no hookups and filled our fresh water tank to nearly full. I didn't really pay attention to it until we made a stop and I did my normal walk around. I looked under the trailer and then noticed that the water tank had a considerable sag in the middle. A full tank weighs about 224 lbs, which is far amount of weight at the back of the trailer. A bumpy road would put a fair amount of stress on the attach points. In the future, I may consider dropping the tank and welding angle brackets in the center to add another strap. Anyone else notice this and have any concerns? Maybe I just think about things too much! The picture is shown with the tank nearly empty and is attached to just show the location of the straps. Thanks, Bob
I checked my tank because your photo didn't look quite right to me. First of all, at least for anyone with a late model 19, the tank isn't mounted that way. It has traverse mounting bar, with a full length flange and appears well supported. It does appear to sag in the middle on one side but that appears to be molded in to allow for complete draining. Thought I'd better mention the 19 is different before anyone starts worrying about the 2 strap supports setup.

Totally agree with the thought of adding an additional center support strap. Long term the tank would probably be better off for it and it would have much better support for impact loads.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Bottom of mine looks slightly angled, which probably makes it stronger. Water level is to me more visible in the picture than when I was checking while camping. Made me wish for a vertical strip of non-frosted tank.

Oh wait...what you said, Ron... "...on one side... sags... to aid draining."
Attached Thumbnails
Tank1.jpg  
Old 08-03-2015, 01:10 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My foam is supporting mine........ps, I miss my low point drain I had in the 19 Escape.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:40 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Not to induce thread drift but, good detail photo Myron, shows a well supported tank in the 19. Also, yes, your photo shows the water level better than real life. Although when my wife first used to panic because the inside gage showed really low water level I'd assure her that we had lots of water because I could see the level through the tank wall. I don't think she was assured until one day she looked for herself. Since that, she just takes my word for what our water level is.

Also, what's that blue hose? Low point drain?

And, finally, back on topic, I was thinking that if I had the strap hanger arrangement and I was going to add another one that I might consider something adding a 1/2" piece of plywood for it to sit on. Less stress on the tank and protection from road debris, especially if I was doing gravel roads etc.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:53 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Yes, low point drain. Maybe 5/16ths or 1/8th plywood, or even better a sheet of aluminum might slip easier in between the straps.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:05 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 Classic
Our freshwater tank looks exactly the same. A bit of sagging in the middle and the 2 metal holding strips on the side.

Me too thought this does not look right but then again, i never read anything on this forum about freshwater tanks dropping off the mounting points, or breaking because the were full while driving on bumpy roads.

So tend not to overthink this one and just trust the manufacturer of my 5.0 classic.
Seef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:45 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I checked my tank because your photo didn't look quite right to me. First of all, at least for anyone with a late model 19, the tank isn't mounted that way. It has traverse mounting bar, with a full length flange and appears well supported.
The tanks (fresh and grey waste) in my non-Escape trailer are mounted the same way as Ron's. I think it's important to note that if Ron's tank is like Myron's and mine, this design of tank is different from Bob's: ours have a step in the front and rear sides, which facilitates this type of mounting (usually the step height matches the frame depth so the mounting bar an just bolt or weld directly to the bottom of the frame) and strengthens the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Totally agree with the thought of adding an additional center support strap. Long term the tank would probably be better off for it and it would have much better support for impact loads.
I agree this would be better, although it may be fixing a non-problem.

A simple alternative would be to simply add angle iron (or aluminum over the front and rear edges, still providing support from the two factory straps, but strengthening the tank against sag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Bottom of mine looks slightly angled, which probably makes it stronger. Water level is to me more visible in the picture than when I was checking while camping. Made me wish for a vertical strip of non-frosted tank.
The angle is for draining, but it couldn't hurt structurally.
A flashlight - even in daylight - held directly against the tank makes it easier to see the level in translucent tanks like this.
The tank isn't really frosted; it's translucent material though the thickness, so there's no way to make a clear window short of removing a section and installing a window of different material. A clear tube like the one shown on Myron's tank (which I assume is the suction hose for the pump) but leading up to a vent is easier to install and more reliable, and would work as a standpipe with an easy-to-read level, if that's important to have.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:45 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
I noticed this on day one and wondered why the tanks wasn't better braced. I didn't want to sound like chicken little so until today, never expressed my concern. Figured if nobody else said anything, it must be ok. I hate to use the "C" word, but my previous trailers had straps bracing the tank.
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:05 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've done a lot of washboard and pothole roads with my 17B since 2008. I've not had any issues.
I can't see the water level in mine ( it's actually full, but sensors indicate 2/3 full ).
Attached Thumbnails
Fresh water tank.jpg  
Old 08-03-2015, 05:11 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I've done a lot of washboard and pothole roads since 2008. I've not had any issues.
What is the capacity of your fresh water tank ? Less than a 5 OTA ?
Old 08-03-2015, 05:19 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
20 gal. tank on 17B.
Specs on ETI site say 28 gal. for 5TA