Wax or Aerospace 303? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2018, 10:41 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 17A
Wax or Aerospace 303?

What do people use to protect the exterior of their trailers going into the summer? I've always used Aerospace 303 on things like ski boxes etc. with really good results. Heard some people talking about wax, and just curious if there is a general consensus on what works best?

Thanks-

Dave
davedru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:53 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedru View Post
What do people use to protect the exterior of their trailers going into the summer? I've always used Aerospace 303 on things like ski boxes etc. with really good results. Heard some people talking about wax, and just curious if there is a general consensus on what works best?

Thanks-

Dave
I also would be interested to hear about experience here.

I can tell you that the 303 product is spectacularly effective in other applications for protecting plastics from UV. Interesting idea to use it on the trailer body. Probably easier to apply too. OTOH, it might not ease removal of the evil bug crust. I'll be interested to watch this discussion.
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:22 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We use Nu Finish and it's worked for us. Except for last Spring when we didn't get to it in time and had some oxidation. Just finished up polishing and buffing that out ... what a job! Nu Finish goes on next.

If you do a search on the Forums, you'll find lots of information (and opinions) as to what works best.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:26 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Someone on an older post mentioned Gel-Gloss. We've never used it on the trailer; however, I did use it when cleaning my mother-in-law's fiberglass tub surround and it worked great. It claims to be a 'polish & protector' all in one.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:08 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Dave, Go to the Searchv button at the top of this page and enter Wax into the Google Search box. There are many interesting threads on exterior maintenance.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I prefer to use products that are formulated for the intended use.
I figure 3M research and development has the experience to produce a top-notch product.
In between proper wax jobs, I use Simonize Wash 'N' Wax, which keeps the shine. Just wash the trailer as usual.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 11.41.18 AM.png  
Old 02-12-2018, 02:01 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
We use Nu Finish and it's worked for us. Except for last Spring when we didn't get to it in time and had some oxidation. Just finished up polishing and buffing that out ... what a job! Nu Finish goes on next.

If you do a search on the Forums, you'll find lots of information (and opinions) as to what works best.
Likewise. I have used Nu Finish for the last 4 years on my 2014, 17B and it still looks like when I picked it up from ETI. Although the flattest portion of the roof has dulled somewhat as one may expect.
2019 KC the Beagle
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:02 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:

Thanks-

Dave
If you're looking for a consensus on what to use, that's like asking which tow vehicle. Way too many opinions. I can tell you what I use: Meguiar's Wash and Wax for regular washings, 303 on all plastic, rubber and vinyl, and Starbrite for a proper wax job on the gelcoat about once a year.

In my experience nothing works better on on plastic or rubber than 303, nothing works better on gelcoat than a marine wax or marine polish designed for fiberglass, and a high grade wash and wax will keep it looking new in between the periodic waxings. Simoniz, Turtle Wax and some others make good wash and wax products, but I've found Meguiar's a bit better at gloss retention and water beading.

If TopCoat F11 wasn't so darn expensive, I'd use that on the trailer. Crazy good stuff, and it can be used on any surface, including the glass.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:16 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 17A
Thanks everyone!
davedru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:25 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I have used Protectall All Surface Care for many years in motorcycle, automotive, and marine applications. I have always loved how easily it applies a coat of carnuba wax that hangs in there for months, without the usual waiting for haze and buffing afterwards. I had noticed their specific fibreglass and RV products, but had no motivation to look at them until we picked up our 19 in September.
I fully intend to try out the all surface care on the 19, and keep it clean with a good quality soap that won’t strip wax. Currently I have Kleen Flo Golden Wash for my vehicles.
Folks have brought some interesting products up in this thread!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Brookfielder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:31 PM   #11

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Quote:

Thanks-

Dave
I learned during our Four Wheel popup camper days to use 303 Aerospace Protectant (www.303-products.com) for protecting rubber, vinyl and seals from fading and cracking from UV rays. Although its product information lists that it's safe and effective on fiberglass, I don't use it on the outside.

I used ProtectAll All-Surface Care (www.ProtectAll.com) to keep the outside clean and shiny. It also aids in washing off insects and road soils. I know some folks are skeptical of multi-purpose products that claim to clean, polish and wax, but I have to admit I'm not willing to spend the time required by other multiple-wax component systems.
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 12:56 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
https://www.amazon.com/Rejex-High-Gl.../dp/B00GM6NF0I

No wax. Incredibly slick, easy on/off once a year. Bugs almost fall off blasting with a hose.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 01:35 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:

Thanks-

Dave

Dave,
As people have stated, opinions are all over the place on this.

Our experience: We have a 2015 E17A, and based significantly on opinions of small aircraft owners in the area, and also some boaters (we're in So.Calif. 10 mi. from the ocean), we have always used Aero303.
Each time we wash the trailer, we then apply Aero303. It's a lot easier to apply than wax. We spray it on, and wipe, per directions.
After 5 full years, the trailer looks great. Basically, all surfaces except glazing get it. I even hit the tires and the aluminum wheels.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:40 AM   #14

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Someone on an older post mentioned Gel-Gloss. We've never used it on the trailer; however, I did use it when cleaning my mother-in-law's fiberglass tub surround and it worked great. It claims to be a 'polish & protector' all in one.
I’ve always had a good experience with Gel Gloss, though I have one of the old metal cans repurposed from an old boat—I hear it has been reformulated.

There was a pretty comprehensive review of various fiberglass wax options on The Drive website last year: https://www.thedrive.com/reviews/283...glass-rv-waxes.
cityofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote