ways to make rear of Escape more attention grabbing, that is legal in all states? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2016, 01:52 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I had hoped that polished metal surfaces on vehicles had gone when the few truckers (with their own trailers rather than fleet units) who did this on their trailers moved on to some other fad. This is not a solution to anything and is a problem for safe drivers.

In a more constructive vein...
It can be hard to judge distance to a white shape, especially one without sharp edges. Without resorting to making large areas reflective, just using extensive graphics of a different colour might help people who are closing in quickly. People tend to judge red lights as further away than blue, so this might work better with graphics colours other than red.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 03:14 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I had hoped that polished metal surfaces on vehicles had gone when the few truckers (with their own trailers rather than fleet units) who did this on their trailers moved on to some other fad. This is not a solution to anything and is a problem for safe drivers.

In a more constructive vein...
It can be hard to judge distance to a white shape, especially one without sharp edges. Without resorting to making large areas reflective, just using extensive graphics of a different colour might help people who are closing in quickly. People tend to judge red lights as further away than blue, so this might work better with graphics colours other than red.
Brian what are your thoughts on putting reflective tape on rear of belly band ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 03:27 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Brian what are your thoughts on putting reflective tape on rear of belly band ? Pat
I think it has a lot going for it - integrated with the design of the trailer, high enough to be visible, shows the full width of the trailer...

But the slickest way to install it would be on the insert strip (the vinyl strip - black in stock Escape form - which inserts into the aluminum channel) and that strip needs to bend to fit and doesn't have a simple shape. Reflective tape is quite thick and rigid, and I'm not sure that the tape could be applied to the strip and still have the strip fit. Someone could try applying the tape directly into the channel without the strip, but it might not go over the fasteners well and would leave the channel trapping water and dirt. I don't have a solution, which is why I didn't suggest using the belly band, but someone probably has one.

Tape on just the exposed aluminum channel would be quite narrow, but that could be done, too - I think it would look better if both top and bottom were done.

If someone can find the right colour and material, the reflective strip could run all the way around the belly band and look good... and it would be easy to find the trailer at night, as it would shine for a flashlight (but not add any light to the campsite).
Old 07-12-2016, 05:14 PM   #24

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Well, guess I'm good then as I'm going to be adding some black custom graphics to all sides of the trailer, including the back.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:33 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
We get a lot of honks and thumbs up with our tire cover. As a homage to Dr. Who, we have even had people wave their miniature Tardis at us as they drove by. We certainly know that people are looking at the back of the trailer and getting a chuckle at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails
Bigger.jpg  
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:38 PM   #26

Quote:
I think it has a lot going for it - integrated with the design of the trailer, high enough to be visible, shows the full width of the trailer...

But the slickest way to install it would be on the insert strip (the vinyl strip - black in stock Escape form - which inserts into the aluminum channel) and that strip needs to bend to fit and doesn't have a simple shape. Reflective tape is quite thick and rigid, and I'm not sure that the tape could be applied to the strip and still have the strip fit. Someone could try applying the tape directly into the channel without the strip, but it might not go over the fasteners well and would leave the channel trapping water and dirt. I don't have a solution, which is why I didn't suggest using the belly band, but someone probably has one.

Tape on just the exposed aluminum channel would be quite narrow, but that could be done, too - I think it would look better if both top and bottom were done.

If someone can find the right colour and material, the reflective strip could run all the way around the belly band and look good... and it would be easy to find the trailer at night, as it would shine for a flashlight (but not add any light to the campsite).
Brian , Little house custom's sells reflecting tape for just the rear or whole trailer band . They mostly sell to Casita owners but I have purchased from them .Rear is 9.95 or 39.95 for going aroun whole trailer .they show what it looks like on their website . Pat
Old 07-12-2016, 05:40 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
We get a lot of honks and thumbs up with our tire cover. As a homage to Dr. Who, we have even had people wave their miniature Tardis at us as they drove by. We certainly know that people are looking at the back of the trailer and getting a chuckle at the same time.
Good looking tire cover ! Pat
Old 07-12-2016, 05:42 PM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Brian , Little house custom's sells reflecting tape for just the rear or whole trailer band . They mostly sell to Casita owners but I have purchased from them .Rear is 9.95 or 39.95 for going aroun whole trailer .they show what it looks like on their website . Pat
Looks nice on the Casita aluminum belly band. Not sure how it would work on an Escape since there's no flat surface on the belly band except above or below the "rub rail."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:49 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Looks nice on the Casita aluminum belly band. Not sure how it would work on an Escape since there's no flat surface on the belly band except above or below the "rub rail."
Donna so their band is kind flat ? Pat
Old 07-12-2016, 05:58 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Donna so their band is kind flat ? Pat
Yes Pat, it's like a Scamp or Boler belly band, U shaped aluminum that's placed over the flange. But, it's actually a bit bigger than either the Scamp or Boler.
Attached Thumbnails
BellyBand.png  
Old 07-12-2016, 06:25 PM   #31

Quote:
Yes Pat, it's like a Scamp or Boler belly band, U shaped aluminum that's placed over the flange. But, it's actually a bit bigger than either the Scamp or Boler.
Oh . Unless I wanted to install under or over which I don't want to do belly band . Their little curtain for bath is real nice though I bought . It installs really easy ,it just fits behind the flange at top after you loosen top screws a little and then retighten .. Great material that takes being wet . I did install a couple of reflectors at back . I have reflectors all the way across bumper too . Guess their reflection tape won't work for us . Oh well . Thanks , Pat
Old 07-12-2016, 08:39 PM   #32

Quote:
A good thought, but as Donna explained the Boler/Scamp/Casita band is very different from the Trillium/Escape band, because the fiberglass joint is differently constructed.

That tape is on the General page of the Little House Customs online store, with an illustration. It's just retroreflective tape, matched to the size of their (flat-faced, narrow) belly band, but the photo could help Escape owners visualize possibilities.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:57 PM   #33

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Tight Levi's ?
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:39 PM   #34
Site Team

If you're an Escape owner looking to see what folks do on a belly band to be a bit more visible, pay attention on the "all-molded-towable" forums and Facebook pages for what TRILLIUM owners may be doing. Classic Escapes are "Kissin' Cousins" to the Trillium brand. Not so much Scamp/Casita/Boler.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:12 PM   #35

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
If you're an Escape owner looking to see what folks do on a belly band to be a bit more visible, pay attention on the "all-molded-towable" forums and Facebook pages for what TRILLIUM owners may be doing. Classic Escapes are "Kissin' Cousins" to the Trillium brand. Not so much Scamp/Casita/Boler.
Thanks for the tip.

I did some google image searching for Trillium exterior photos and I found some interesting options.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0039.JPG   IMG_0040.JPG   IMG_0041.JPG  
Attached Images

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:59 PM   #36

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Come up with something really clever and install it on the spare tire cover......
How about one of those photos of a highway patrol motor officer staring at you from behind a radar gun?
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:14 AM   #37

How about this sign, on the spare tire cover:

"Caution Please do not tailgate”

it is eye grabbing!

Buy Please Do Not Tailgate Sign Online - OSHA Caution Signs, SKU: S-9965
Old 07-13-2016, 12:35 AM   #38

Quote:
Thanks Donna I will check out . Pat
Old 07-13-2016, 01:13 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
I did some google image searching for Trillium exterior photos and I found some interesting options.
Interesting - and there are lots more of these creative eggs. Too bad the first three (ladybug, watermelon, two-tone) are the Boler (or Scamp/Casita) design. The last one (colour patches) appears to be a Trillium 1300 (or equivalent, like an Escape 13')... and the belly band is the only normal part!
Old 07-14-2016, 02:43 AM   #40

I was just looking at photos of a 2017 21' that is about to be completed... and it occurred to me - maybe a good place for some reflective tape would be the trailing (rear) vertical edge of the solar panels that we are getting ETI to install.... ?

they look as if they are roughly 90 degrees to the road, so a decent amount of light would be reflected back at a driver behind..... maybe?

having said that, car headlights on low beam probably wouldn't throw much if any light up that high.....