ways to make rear of Escape more attention grabbing, that is legal in all states? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2016, 03:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Question ways to make rear of Escape more attention grabbing, that is legal in all states?

Hello all you wise people.

I'm looking for ways to make rear of an Escape more attention grabbing, visually, that is legal in all states......

Of course I can put some reflective tape on the rear bumper.

any other clever ideas?

Thanks.

Los Angeles
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:00 PM   #2

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Hello all you wise people.

I'm looking for ways to make rear of an Escape more attention grabbing, visually, that is legal in all states......

any other clever ideas?

Thanks.

Los Angeles
put one of those big Led moving signs in the rear window...pre-program some appropriate gestures or slogans to display when needed and then happy driving!
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
A Yosemite Sam "Back Off" sticker. Also I was following a Semi at night a few months ago and he turned on a bright LED spotlight which was at the top rear of the trailer and angled to shine in my face, or a loading dock. I backed off Not sure that was legal but it worked.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
One of these hung in the back window? LED Emergency Flasher

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:20 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
I have the additional brake lights on my 19 and turn on the parking lights at all times while towing. If that doesn't do it, I doubt adding anything will help.

I also just go with the flow in traffic. I don't have the HP to continually pass people, nor the patience to stick with 55 when others are doing 65.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:25 PM   #6

I tow a sailplane trailer rather often and I am always paranoid about a rear impact as the wing tips of the sailplane are about two inches from the rear of the trailer, which is an inch thick piece of aluminum. A rear impact could do a lot of damage to the wings. Often if someone is too close i wag the trailer back and forth. That trailer is narrow but 30 ft. long so I have good visibility with the side mirrors.
I am interested in knowing if the back up camera system offered by Escape can also be used as a rear camera for driving or if I should look into a different system.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:29 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturski View Post
I have the additional brake lights on my 19 and turn on the parking lights at all times while towing. If that doesn't do it, I doubt adding anything will help.

I also just go with the flow in traffic. I don't have the HP to continually pass people, nor the patience to stick with 55 when others are doing 65.
I see this as very sensible, on both accounts.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
I am interested in knowing if the back up camera system offered by Escape can also be used as a rear camera for driving or if I should look into a different system.
Some do use it, or ones like it, for that. I think your use of the mirrors is the way to go though. I too like to keep track of folks on the road, including those behind me.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-11-2016, 04:43 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post

any other clever ideas?
Although the bumper is a good place for the tape, you can also put some much higher, where it can be seen over low cars.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:18 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Come up with something really clever and install it on the spare tire cover. Reflective tape too, maybe in a design on the cover around the front edge.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:04 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Don't know about the back of an Escape but did like the bumper sticker on the bumper of a horse trailer W/ two horses in it. When I got too close I could read it. It said "you are what you see!"
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:18 PM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
How about something along this line, make yourself more visible.

TM3N Pair of Individual WirelessTow Lights
Attached Thumbnails
tow lights (600 x 239).jpg  
Old 07-12-2016, 12:07 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
I tow a sailplane trailer rather often and I am always paranoid about a rear impact as the wing tips of the sailplane are about two inches from the rear of the trailer, which is an inch thick piece of aluminum. A rear impact could do a lot of damage to the wings. Often if someone is too close i wag the trailer back and forth. That trailer is narrow but 30 ft. long so I have good visibility with the side mirrors.
I have the TADI system that Escape has made a standard. The field of view is great, wide enough that rear vehicles are well into the view of my truck mirrors. I chose it primarily for a rear view system to see the zoomies headed for my rear bumper, although it IS a great backup camera for tucking the 21 into it's narrow bay in my barn. The ETI system has a separate monitor; I use a mirror-mount monitor that clips over the standard truck mirror - note that others have had issues with the image brightness of the mirror mount style, though.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:29 AM   #14

Trailer: Shopping tv 2014 Nissan Pathfinder
Quote:
A Yosemite Sam "Back Off" sticker. Also I was following a Semi at night a few months ago and he turned on a bright LED spotlight which was at the top rear of the trailer and angled to shine in my face, or a loading dock. I backed off Not sure that was legal but it worked.
Very illegal
mk1549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:35 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Come up with something really clever and install it on the spare tire cover. Reflective tape too, maybe in a design on the cover around the front edge.
Always good info and ideas and sensible thoughts from Donna D.

thanks. will likely do this, plus some other reflective tape in various places.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:28 AM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We got the extra lights on the back of the 19 and recently when a friend was following us towing they commented about how visible we were with all the lights. Not sure what the state of the options/standard are, but I'd recommending getting all the lights they're offering.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:18 AM   #17

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Don't know about the back of an Escape but did like the bumper sticker on the bumper of a horse trailer W/ two horses in it. When I got too close I could read it. It said "you are what you see!"
Dave
My license plate frame on my FJ says "Get off my ass I'm not in heat". It's always funny to see when folks read it while pulled up at a light. They point and laugh. I've had it for years and moved it from my Isuzu Trooper to my FJ. I'll probably get one for the trailer as well.

I know that's not what the OP was looking for, but what the heck. Problem is, the way folks use their cell phones and text while driving (and other stuff), if someone is really not paying attention, there isn't much you can do. And if you have too much stuff back there, it might be too overwhelming and cause problems.

Although I did like the suggestion of "student driver".
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 03:13 AM   #18

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
My biggest irritation comes from drivers who close in on my bumper at night ... with their high beams on KILL. The best solution to this extreme rudness I ever saw was a Teardrop trailer builder who skinned his trailer with stainless steel sheet metal. Every afternoon at get- togethers he would some spend time polishing up his rear trailer surfaces. He'd tell me that inconsiderate folks would zoom up on his rear end .... then fall back a quarter mile until they could pass him with their low beams on.

Very effective and I have been trying to figure out how to make a very reflective surface on my trailer .... maybe a reversed one way mirror for a rear window??

Tom
Old 07-12-2016, 03:34 AM   #19

Metallized mylar tape comes in 2 inch widths. Alternate strips with the red and white reflective tape but put the mylar higher so it reflects back the high beam more than low beam. Also put it on the spare tire cover.
In recent years I have made many trips between Dallas and Colorado. Between Amarillo and Limon, CO I often drive thru the night and much of the road is 2 lane. A lot of big trucks use that route to get to and from I-70 and I-40 so I always get behind one and just follow it. Some have highly polished trailers which reflect light back and it is annoying for us followers. I don't use high beams but using cruise control it is hard to keep an exact distance; the trucks slow down and speed up on hills at different rates than me. I'm sure my being there is also annoying for the big rigs but in darkness at 70 mph I would rather follow something big.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:50 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
My biggest irritation comes from drivers who close in on my bumper at night ... with their high beams on KILL. The best solution to this extreme rudness I ever saw was a Teardrop trailer builder who skinned his trailer with stainless steel sheet metal. Every afternoon at get- togethers he would some spend time polishing up his rear trailer surfaces. He'd tell me that inconsiderate folks would zoom up on his rear end .... then fall back a quarter mile until they could pass him with their low beams on.

Very effective and I have been trying to figure out how to make a very reflective surface on my trailer .... maybe a reversed one way mirror for a rear window??

Tom
Though effective, not sure this is the best idea.

A good friend with travel with built a custom rear storage box (more like a shed) for his motorhome out of polished aluminum checker plate. When following him at night, even at a very safe distance, I would constantly get flashed by the reflection of my headlights. It was very annoying and tiring, even somewhat dangerous. We ended up always being the lead when travelling in the dark.

He is now building version II of his rear storage unit, this time it will hose their bikes inside, along with other stuff. He is having it powder coated an non-reflective black.

I too hate tailgaters, one of my biggest pet peeves of bad driving, and on the rare occasion that happens, I just slow down for a while. This gives them the message to either pass or back off.