We've got the opposite of 2 foot itis - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2015, 09:04 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
As someone who has camped in a 17 ft. Casita for sixteen years, I can tell you the thing we are most looking forward to with our soon-to-be-built 21 ft. Escape is no longer having to move stuff from the tow vehicle to the trailer during the day and back from the trailer to the tow vehicle at night. I'm referring to food, clothes, and various miscellaneous items that are just in the way. It's been especially problematic for us on long trips.

YMMV, of course. And I'm not familiar with the Escape 17's floor plans.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:08 PM   #22

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B, 2011 Ranger FX4
To repeat yet again . . . to each his own, according to their desired camping style, comfort level (in all meanings of the phrase), etc.

After over a decade in a series of Westfalia's, we were ecstatic at the spaciousness of our Boler 13.

After a decade with the Boler, we are ecstatic over the comfort, room (and BATHROOM) of our 17B.

And I imagine after another decade we'll be ready for a 19 or 21?

Most of our camping, as has been mentioned by others, is outside. But too often we've been extended camping, shoulder season and encroaching winter, and of course on the Wet Coast, so more & more often we want a dry space to "live" when the weather doesn't cooperate.

And a big deal for us is to have something available at the drop of a hat . . . we like & want the ability to move out quickly when our lives allow (still working (although self-employed), doncha know).

In the final analysis, your best camping vehicle is whatever GETS YOU OUT CAMPING!

Happy trails.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:39 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Lots of good input everyone -thank you! Unfortunately we only have a week or so to make our decision. We love the 21 so we would be choosing the 17 only because we wouldn't need a new TV and we think it would be easier to tow. We have seen the 19 and the 21 and will see the 17 next week (thank you Sandra!).

Doug you had it right. The thought of towing the 21 is a bit intimidating. I would imagine the size could be a challenge in narrow freeways, gas stations, campgrounds etc.

I think the issue boils down to justifying buying both a trailer and a truck. And if we think the hassle factor of the larger trailer will outweigh its benefits.

The towing is not a consideration that I see. You are talking 3'8" different in length and 8" difference in width on a trailer that is over 21' long and 7'4" wide. If you were buying some huge stick 5.0, that would be a consideration. It is, however, a very big consideration as to having it at home or not. We would not have bought a 17' though instead of a 19' or a 21' because of that. We use a storage place.

The big obvious difference in the 17' is the smaller bed. You can either sleep in it or not. If not, that takes care of that. Many say it is just fine, so you can decide that when you see Sandra's.

As for getting a truck and trailer, we had to do that but we had no vehicle that could tow. That choice is with regard to your budget and no one else knows if that will strain your budget. If you feel it will, you can no doubt be very happy with the 17' and have it at home also.

If it does not strain your budget, I would certainly not get a 17' on the basis of the towing situation. The 21' gives you a dual axle which is a safety consideration.

I could tell you that the towing is not a problem, however, we do not travel the way many do and I have no idea how you want to travel. We try to avoid high traffic areas but of course may be stuck with them at times. When we look for an Interstate, it is to avoid it. The towing is not a problem. Backing is the problem! I would say on that that you should not go down any questionable road or into any parking lot unless you can see first how you are coming out! That pretty much covers the towing problems.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:56 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
We considered a 19, settled on a 21, and are SO grateful we did. The extra two feet (and eight inches) gives additional, valuable counter and cabinet space. We're currently on a 5-month trip, and my wife and I just commented yesterday how perfect the 21 is, and how anything smaller (for us) would have been too small. Also, no problem with gas stations or fitting into almost every camping spot. Of course, as is so often pointed out on this forum, everyone has different needs, so Escape makes pretty much something for everyone. Or as Donna says, YMMV!
Jeff and Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:47 PM   #25

The actual difference between a 19' and a 21', I believe, is only 10" in length and 4" in width. The big difference seen in the interior is due to not cutting the length with the bed but turning it lengthwise. That gives more counter and a little larger bathroom but a smaller bed. It also allows for more walking space which makes the trailer seem bigger.

We are simply getting a change in the interior look with a different layout, plus custom everything, that we have chosen. That would be the counters, faucet, flooring, fabric, table legs and bases, and other additions including solar that our 19' did not have. The actual space, however, will not be much different. There is a different use of the space that makes for the change we want, along with all of those other items and more!

I will correct the above as I see the 21' is a foot eight inches difference from the 19'! I recalled a discussion where I thought someone said that Reace said he added 6" to the front and 4" to the back for a total of ten. I take it it was changed after that.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:40 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Initially I wanted an Escape 17 because I could pull it with the 4-cylinder Tacoma that I inherited from my dad. I loved that truck and wanted to keep it. It would tow 3500 pounds. But when I flew out to look at a 17 in Chilliwack I was put off by the small bed, smaller than a standard single bed IIRC, and furthermore the bed was tucked behind a set of drawers, making it a bit claustrophobic for me. I was afraid I'd have problems staying in the 17 for weeks on end, so I ended up getting a larger trailer, and a Tacoma with a larger towing capacity. And I am indeed living in the Escape 21 for weeks on end, as planned.

But to each his own-- for instance, Jon Vermilye has taken his Escape 17 on months-long trips all over the country, and in fact is now in Alaska! Living in it for months on end doesn't bother him, apparently.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:51 PM   #27

Well, don't think there was a 21' when Jon bought his so you never know if he might just go to that.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:08 AM   #28

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We purchased the 19' as this was the first time we had towed anything. As it is, the 19' is still "challenging" to us, no matter what any one says. (So many experienced campers have told us that a double axle is much harder to back up/park than a single.) That said, after our two week camping trip in Oregon with our two dogs (one small, one medium) we decided that a larger Escape may be in our near future, even though it may mean a bigger tow vehicle. (We had a bit of rainy weather so spent a fair amount of time indoors which really gives you an appreciation the space you have.) We're not going to do anything about going bigger right now, but I'm certainly glad we didn't go smaller. You need to do what feels right for you, but I have a feeling that you'll be very happy with the 21' after you get the hang of it.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:20 AM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While I love my 17B, and am comfortable in it on long trips, I have to admit I would like the advantage the larger trailer provide - a 4 person dinette AND a large (relatively speaking) bed.

I don't have a problem sitting at the small table (the large one in the read is now a permanent bed in my 17) but when traveling with friends, it gets tight when we eat in the rain! They are in a Scamp 16 which has even less "dining room".

As to what I'd buy now, it would probably be the 5th wheel. The overall length (combined with the tow vehicle is probably less than my 17B & RAV4 together, and the permanent bed & table are attractive. I'm a bit concerned with outside storage with the 5th wheel since the hitch takes up a significant part of the truck bed, but I do have a StowAway II hitch box on my 17 & it would work with the 5th wheel.

And finally, for anyone considering Alaska - Do It. We are having a great time & wish you were here!
Old 06-28-2015, 12:36 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
While I love my 17B, and am comfortable in it on long trips, I have to admit I would like the advantage the larger trailer provide - a 4 person dinette AND a large (relatively speaking) bed.

I don't have a problem sitting at the small table (the large one in the read is now a permanent bed in my 17) but when traveling with friends, it gets tight when we eat in the rain! They are in a Scamp 16 which has even less "dining room".

As to what I'd buy now, it would probably be the 5th wheel. The overall length (combined with the tow vehicle is probably less than my 17B & RAV4 together, and the permanent bed & table are attractive. I'm a bit concerned with outside storage with the 5th wheel since the hitch takes up a significant part of the truck bed, but I do have a StowAway II hitch box on my 17 & it would work with the 5th wheel.

And finally, for anyone considering Alaska - Do It. We are having a great time & wish you were here!

Not sure why you would go to the 5th wheel except you are mentioning length.

The 21' bed is between full and queen and whether we find it enough, we will see. Of course, the dinette is permanent.

Just for your info though, our 4Runner and the 21'-to-be will fit in a two-car parking space. Of course, if we get another TV, that may or may not be the case. Many trucks towing the 21' would not fit. The two-car parking length is very convenient for stops. Can't say all two-car spaces are the same everywhere but they would fit where we checked that.

Glad to hear you are enjoying Alaska!
Old 06-28-2015, 06:44 AM   #31

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
How tall are you? The 17 has a lower ceiling, and that's another consideration that really impacts the feel and function of the interior space.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:22 AM   #32

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Also dual axles give you twice the braking power...
Old 06-28-2015, 11:44 AM   #33

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
We purchased the 19' as this was the first time we had towed anything. As it is, the 19' is still "challenging" to us, no matter what any one says. (So many experienced campers have told us that a double axle is much harder to back up/park than a single.) That said, after our two week camping trip in Oregon with our two dogs (one small, one medium) we decided that a larger Escape may be in our near future, even though it may mean a bigger tow vehicle. (We had a bit of rainy weather so spent a fair amount of time indoors which really gives you an appreciation the space you have.) We're not going to do anything about going bigger right now, but I'm certainly glad we didn't go smaller. You need to do what feels right for you, but I have a feeling that you'll be very happy with the 21' after you get the hang of it.
I actually find the 5.0TA easier to back up/park than the Scamp 19 (single axle 5er) I previously owned. The Scamp seemed to swing rapidly with the slightest turn of the TV's steering wheel. Still, any trailer with a short wheel base in relation to the TV's rear wheels will be more difficult to back than one with a longer wheel base. If you want to get proficient backing a camping trailer, practice backing a dump cart attached to a lawn tractor.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:58 PM   #34

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Also dual axles give you twice the braking power...
...but 880 more pounds to stop.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:34 PM   #35

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
...but 880 more pounds to stop.
Agreed!
The weight is one of the reasons for the additional axle and brakes.
Slickheadhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:34 PM   #36
rfs

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I actually find the 5.0TA easier to back up/park than the Scamp 19 (single axle 5er) I previously owned. If you want to get proficient backing a camping trailer, practice backing a dump cart attached to a lawn tractor.
Or better yet, a lawn cart attached to your Z-turn mower, in the dark,with a storm coming,while slightly under the influence.
Dave
rfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:44 PM   #37

Trailer: Looking
Fwiw, I got 'sized out' of an Escape when they discontinued the 15 because I didn't feel a 17b would be fun to tow with my V6 3500lb tow rated Jeep. As other said, YMMV.
mjlevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:48 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Isnt that matching a trailer to your TV? Not the best way to choose is it? Dont ask how I may know this.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:49 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfs View Post
Or better yet, a lawn cart attached to your Z-turn mower, in the dark,with a storm coming,while slightly under the influence.
Dave

Now who would do that?
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:53 PM   #40

Trailer: Looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Isnt that matching a trailer to your TV? Not the best way to choose is it? Dont ask how I may know this.
If you're suggesting I'd drive a vehicle other than a Wrangler, I say..... um...... no.

I'd forgo the trailer entirely before I replaced the Wrangler! My 13' trailer suits me just fine!
mjlevin is offline   Reply With Quote