We've got the opposite of 2 foot itis - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2015, 02:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
We've got the opposite of 2 foot itis

We have a 21ft on order. We love the layout of it and the fact that it meets all our needs for the camping part.

However we're having 2nd thoughts. If we get the 17b instead then we don't have to buy a truck (can tow it with our 3500lb max current SUV). We won't have to store it (we have room to park it on our driveway). It has all the functionality of the 21 (but smaller bed, bath, storage etc). As a lighter and narrower trailer it should be less intimidating to tow (we're new to towing).

We keep going back and forth on this and can't make a decision. We will soon be retired and can foresee multiple trips per year, up to a month or 2 at a time. This is for my husband and I plus our 2 little dogs. No grandkids yet.

I checked with the good folks at Escape and they say we can make this change if we want.

I don't know. In some ways it seems that the older we get, the more indecisive we are! Any other considerations to help sway us one way or the other?
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
I loved our 17b and still wish I had it when I go on a trip alone, but...
When it's the 2 of us and the Girls (in the avatar), the 21 is much, much more livable... you run out of floor space very quickly with the 17 when its cold outside.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Have you been inside each model? That should really help you to make the right choice. It might be worth a trip up to Chilliwack or view both in your area. I appreciate all you're going through as I did the same with the 15 and the 17. Just sitting in each one for an extended period of time helped me.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 03:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Just to confuse things, it would be between the 17 and 19, if it were me. I've not made the move to 19 because I don't want to buy a new tow vehicle. If I were planning extended trips and if my tow vehicle were older, I'd likely move up for the extra space ( read comfort ).
I love having the 17B at home so I can load / unload and tend to it at my leisure, but you should check regs in your area to see if that's even allowed.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:11 PM   #5

Thanks Karen & Paul - both good input. We don't have time to go to Chilliwack but you raise an important point Karen as we've not been inside a 17. I am trying to find one in our area to view.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Just to confuse things, it would be between the 17 and 19, if it were me. I've not made the move to 19 because I don't want to buy a new tow vehicle. If I were planning extended trips and if my tow vehicle were older, I'd likely move up for the extra space ( read comfort ).
At least that isn't something we're struggling with. I can see why people love the 19 with its bigger bed but we prefer the 21 with the bed that's somewhat tucked away. We also love having the dinette in the back. Different preferences for different folks - nothing wrong with either
Old 06-27-2015, 03:20 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The differences between the 17', 19' and 21' can be huge. It's more than just size, it's layout. That then makes it all about you and your needs. What do you need for future camping trips? We know how we've camped in the past. I'm hoping the extra size will give me extra comfort in many different ways, especially the seasons I camp. I no longer want to be tied to the sun, although it's grand to be outside.

Best of luck in your decision.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 03:24 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
We retired two years ago and bought a used 17B 2 months later. We had 100 nights in it and I knew we needed something larger. Also remembered an RV salesman telling me years ago when we were first kicking tires that the biggest mistake people make is buying too small. Love the 21, fits in our driveway and most campsites the 17 would(including #46 at Red's Meadow) and you don't have to pack like an astronaut. Over 100 nights now in it.

For a TV, you don't have to get a truck of course- am glad we went Full-Size though. It seems apparent that most do, and the thing is you don't work as hard and enjoy the trip more.

The Yukon is 1200 lbs heaver and a foot longer than the Highlander, yet the EPA mileage is 15/21 vs. 17/22. The rear storage is much greater and tows the 21 like the Highlander did a 17. We got 16 towing the 17 and 13 with the Yukon. Don't think anyone towing a 21 with a V-6 gets much if any more.

I anguished more about the TV than the trailer, although I had to convince Susan. She flew up and met me after last year's Rally and took about 5 minutes inside one at ETI to agree with me. No regrets.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 03:44 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I'm with Karen. The only way to know for sure if you'll be happy with your choice long term is to spend some time touring each model. That was how we knew for SURE that our size was for us. If it's a choice between the 21 and the 17, I would also tour a 19. Kind of a compromise between the two, and you get a queen bed. Please, look at each model in person. You'll know.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:51 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
The only thing we do inside our trailer is bathe, sleep, and cook (a little - BBQ outdoors). We eat all our meals and spend 95% of our waking hours outside. IMHO, Escape doesn't make a trailer large enough to "live" in and that's fine with us. YMMV
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 05:44 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
A couple of thoughts...

First, don't let towing a 21 intimidate you. Towing is really not that challenging. The difference between the 17 and the 21 is pretty small, and in fact some of the advantages go to the 21 -- the tandem axle has several advantages: more stable ride, less serious consequences from a flat tire, more control when backing up.

Second, if you are concerned about towing at all, then I think you maybe should be just a little bit worried about towing a 17 with a vehicle that has a 3500 pound limit. You're pushing the vehicle's limit there. A new tow vehicle means you can add safety margin...

I agree with what everyone else is saying: if you haven't been inside the different trailers, you really need to make that happen. You're talking about an investment of a few tens of thousands of dollars. It's worth a trip to Chilliwack to see them all side-by-side if you don't have any other alternative.

Our experience: I was originally thinking the 17 or even a 15. The wife insisted on the extra space of the 19 if we were going to consider longer trips, and I had no basis to argue. I don't regret going with the larger trailer, though I'm not certain it's essential. I think that it's a decision each buyer has to make for themselves.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:07 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
We have a 21ft on order. We love the layout of it and the fact that it meets all our needs for the camping part.

However we're having 2nd thoughts. If we get the 17b instead then we don't have to buy a truck (can tow it with our 3500lb max current SUV). We won't have to store it (we have room to park it on our driveway). It has all the functionality of the 21 (but smaller bed, bath, storage etc). As a lighter and narrower trailer it should be less intimidating to tow (we're new to towing).

We keep going back and forth on this and can't make a decision. We will soon be retired and can foresee multiple trips per year, up to a month or 2 at a time. This is for my husband and I plus our 2 little dogs. No grandkids yet.

I checked with the good folks at Escape and they say we can make this change if we want.

I don't know. In some ways it seems that the older we get, the more indecisive we are! Any other considerations to help sway us one way or the other?

Jill, have you seen an Escape? Which ones? You can surely see one or more in your general area. There should be no need to go to Chilliwack. We could tell you better about this if we knew what you have seen.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:45 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Perhaps the Bandon gathering:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...15-a-4795.html

or the later Fall NOG:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...ring-4973.html

would be an alternative to going to Chilliwack for you Jill?
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:19 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
I've had a few campers and have never really spent much time inside any of them other than to wind down at the end of the day and sleep, But lifestyle also has a lot to do with that as well.
Slickheadhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:28 PM   #15

Lots of good input everyone -thank you! Unfortunately we only have a week or so to make our decision. We love the 21 so we would be choosing the 17 only because we wouldn't need a new TV and we think it would be easier to tow. We have seen the 19 and the 21 and will see the 17 next week (thank you Sandra!).

Doug you had it right. The thought of towing the 21 is a bit intimidating. I would imagine the size could be a challenge in narrow freeways, gas stations, campgrounds etc.

I think the issue boils down to justifying buying both a trailer and a truck. And if we think the hassle factor of the larger trailer will outweigh its benefits.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:29 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickheadhunter View Post
....But lifestyle also has a lot to do with that as well.
And weather...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:31 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Think you should get the 21 and sign up for towing lessons at Valley Driving School, as other novices have done.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:32 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
We are glad to have the 17b on our property. The 19 would not fit. The convenience of having the trailer on site is huge for us.

I agree with the poster who advised double checking your TV with the view of using it with a 17. We want lots of margin.

The double axle 19 would be a benefit that is really worth looking at.

We have grandchildren. We got our 17b bunk bed ready. It will be crowded when they come along. However, in our plans, grandkids will only be along for a night or two. So the trailer has to work for us.

Enjoy your research!

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:45 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
And weather...
Snow, sleet or rain I'm in the woods during hunting season! I did compromise from a 15 to a 17 for my wife! 😁
Slickheadhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:56 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
See here Single Axle Trailers Vs. Tandem Axle Trailers