What about storage? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2015, 08:23 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Repellents

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Dave, I've read that smells (Dryer sheets, mothballs, Fresh Cab.) deterring mice is a myth, true or untrue?
I just know we have had either incredibly good luck or mothballs work to repel mice. We stored our fold down in a friends actual farm barn that was wide open with loose boards etc . He has large model A and model T collection stored in that same building and recommended the mothballs and we've used them since. I know animals have an incredible sense of smell. I've seen coyotes dig down through well over a foot of snow to find a bait and a frozen trap and then return months later to the same site to dig the same hole with trap and lure long gone. There are any number of commercial repellents available and also attractants combined with poison for rodents so the sense of smell certainly works in there somewhere.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:44 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
We live in Surrey. Storage conditions vary even on the same property. Because we are forced to store our trailer on the north side of our property, in the shade of our house, everything grows a green slime by spring. Each spring I would have to get on the roof of our old stick trailer and clean not only the rubber roof, but all the slots and crannies around the vents and such. We got a cover for our Escape 21 for just over $200 and hope it saves us the big cleanup for a few years.
Ditto that. So much easier in the Spring with the cover. One light bulb on and have never had a problem with mold or mildew.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:29 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
BlackJack sits outside, uncovered but plugged in. I have a 100 watt heater on and check it weekly. No mold, mice, ever. The nice thing with this method is we can go camping with little preparation, turn on refer, hook up an go. This weekend it will be near 70.....campfire camping weather.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:40 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I just know we have had either incredibly good luck or mothballs work to repel mice. We stored our fold down in a friends actual farm barn that was wide open with loose boards etc . He has large model A and model T collection stored in that same building and recommended the mothballs and we've used them since. I know animals have an incredible sense of smell. I've seen coyotes dig down through well over a foot of snow to find a bait and a frozen trap and then return months later to the same site to dig the same hole with trap and lure long gone. There are any number of commercial repellents available and also attractants combined with poison for rodents so the sense of smell certainly works in there somewhere.
Dave
We have planted hundreds of oak saplings on our land (after a huge straight line storm decimated old trees). Deer will walk past thousands of edibles to eat them, so we have to put them inside plastic protective tubes. So then, mice decided that those tubes were perfect winter nesting places and nibbled right thru the enclosed tree. Now we drop one or two moth balls in each tube in the fall and so far no mouse damage. Problem for the Tacoma is I don't really want to have to smell mothballs every time I drive it.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:48 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
This weekend it will be near 70.....campfire camping weather.
Campfires are even better, at least more appreciated, when much colder. We often see a lot of folks around the campfire when temps drop to the freezing mark. It sure doesn't feel that cold with a lot of glowing embers warming you up.

One evening camping this past fall, I was curious as to how cold it was getting out, so went and looked at the thermometer. I went back to the fire, and asked everyone to guess the temp. Guesses ranged from 5-8°C (41-45°F), and the actual temp was 0°C (32°F). This shows how much warmth a well stoked fire provides. Of course, we did have a wee bit of antifreeze in our systems too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:55 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
... Of course, we did have a wee bit of antifreeze in our systems too.
I'm wondering about your definition of "wee"...

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:09 AM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
I'm wondering about your definition of "wee"...
More than 2, less than 20.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:11 PM   #28

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
For you Facebook folks...earth kind (fresh cab) will start their daily give aways (their products) starting this Sunday.
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:59 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015, Jamboree Searcher 31M
Maybe the rubber roof gets too bad for the things to settle down and they might need an extra effort to pull up the water content. Roofing according to the conditions is really important and it’s necessary for all the roofs. I used to hire commercial roofing contractors of Empire Roofing Corporation for all the roofing and vent related issues.
tomtleung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:57 PM   #30

Trailer: 2018 5TA
Our trailer's being stored, outside, in Mission for the winter. It's been 1.5 months stored, with the cabinet doors open, cushions stored like gbaglo posted.

No windows or fan open, and when I checked it last week the Dri-Z-Air container had less than 30 cc of water accumulated.
ian&denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:56 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian&denis View Post
Our trailer's being stored, outside, in Mission for the winter. It's been 1.5 months stored, with the cabinet doors open, cushions stored like gbaglo posted.

No windows or fan open, and when I checked it last week the Dri-Z-Air container had less than 30 cc of water accumulated.
Likewise at the end of October I stored my 2014 17B, no cover, with the vents/windows closed. I did remove all the contents and upholstery, and opened all cupboard doors and storage lids. I have emptied the 2 Dri-Z-Air containers twice up until last Wednesday each time each one was approx. 1/3 full. Each time I checked the wall, floor and cupboard surfaces and they were bone dry. My trailer is stored uncovered in an open air storage facility just outside of Parksville.
2019 KC the Beagle
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 02:41 PM   #32

It is 26 degrees outside, the heater is on the pond and BlackJack, outside in the yard, is plugged in with 43 degrees inside.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0227.jpg   IMG_0230.jpg   IMG_0232.jpg   IMG_0233.jpg  
Old 01-05-2016, 02:50 PM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 17B
Worth mentioning; last winter I followed the same process that I detailed previously, the trailer was stored at the end of September until early May. The trailer was dry each time I visited to maintain the Dri-Z-Air containers. The exterior surfaces had minor mildew and dirt on them particularly around the belly band, however the trailer cleaned up nicely when polished looking like new again when I prepared it for the first camping trip in May.
2019 KC the Beagle
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:46 AM   #34

Trailer: 2016 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
BlackJack sits outside, uncovered but plugged in. I have a 100 watt heater on and check it weekly. No mold, mice, ever. The nice thing with this method is we can go camping with little preparation, turn on refer, hook up an go. This weekend it will be near 70.....campfire camping weather.
Do you leave your heater on 24/7? Thanks.
Steve R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:31 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
Do you leave your heater on 24/7? Thanks.
Yes, when it was below 40 degrees it would turn on. It had a thermostat that should have turned it off once it warmed up during the days. My electric seemed to be a bit higher in the winter.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:22 PM   #36

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Has anyone found signs of mice in an Escape?

I just re-read this thread and would like to know if anyone has had trouble with mice inside an Escape trailer. From the posts I would say no, but of course not everyone posted.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:30 PM   #37

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Nope. None. I have posted pix of the area where power cord enters trailer ( potential access point, I guess ). No evidence.
Attached Thumbnails
Cord 1.jpg  
Old 08-28-2016, 02:15 PM   #38

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Never had mice in any trailer, but I keep putting out traps and baits come winter storage.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:37 PM   #39

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
They do refer to it as a mouse hole, but the more common problem is with ants entering there. We had that happen at a Beach campground with our first Scamp, big ants! Went home and did the removable power cord mod. Never had a pull out cord since.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:15 PM   #40

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
I just re-read this thread and would like to know if anyone has had trouble with mice inside an Escape trailer. From the posts I would say no, but of course not everyone posted.
Soak cotton balls in peppermint oil (from heslth food store) and put on a plate on the floor or counter. Refresh cotton balls every two weeks. Trailer will smell minty fresh and mice HATE peppermint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
They do refer to it as a mouse hole, but the more common problem is with ants entering there. We had that happen at a Beach campground with our first Scamp, big ants! Went home and did the removable power cord mod. Never had a pull out cord sinc.
Next time you get asked "paper or plastic" take the plastic. Stuff a plastic bag around the cord in the mousehole. The tighter it is packed, the better. It will keep out ants. However, the removeable cord option is even better because you don't have to remember to plug the open parts of the mousehole.