What about storage? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2015, 12:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2004 Fleetwood Santa Fe
What about storage?

I don't have an Escape yet but if/when I get one, it will have to be stored outside during winter. What are your experiences with outside storage? Do you have to worry about mold? Mice?
I'm in the Vancouver, BC area so it's pretty wet here in winter.
I currently have a pop-up but it's small enough that I can store it inside in the winter.
Super Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Mine has been outside since I got it in July 2008. Spends most of its time under a huge cedar tree here in North Vancouver.
I don't have a cover. it gets a good wax job instead.
I have two Dri-Z-Air containers inside the trailer to absorb moisture. I also leave the Maxxfan open a crack and from time to time I run an electric heater.
All cupboards, drawers and fridge are left open. Cushions are stood on end ( I have no room to store in my house ).
Last year, up near Oliver, a couple stopped us and asked if the trailer was new.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:54 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I've had mildew in a past trailer, but not mold, no idea why, had the vent and a window part way open. No problems with the Escape as yet. Tried the DampRid tubs from the hardware store but they freeze solid and stay that way till spring around here.

I use precautions against mice but have never seen indications of them in the trailers. The shed and he house is another matter.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
Fresh cab packets works great for mice. Smells like balsam...
We use it in our outbuildings, vehicles and boat during the winter.

Their product is satisfaction guaranteed...their customer service will also assist you to eliminate or prevent a problem.

We swear by it and we live in the woods with lots of mice. So far so good...
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:13 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Not familiar with this product but here's a link:

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Fresh Cab Rodent Repellent (4 Pouch Box) Net Wt. 10 Ounce
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:23 PM   #6

That's it!

And those of you who do the Facebook thing...their "site" gives away a 12 pack a month...usually around the 13-15th.

Apparently the mice dont like the smell...so if they manage to get into the area...they won't stay!

They were living in our outbuilding aka bunkhouse before we moved here. It was actually quite gross. Two packets right near the door...and each corner...has kept them out!

Not one poop to be found!

And if you're not 100% satisfied...they will refund your money!
Old 12-09-2015, 02:42 PM   #7

"For preventative use in non-infested areas, simply place one pouch for every 125 sq. feet, scent lasts up to 90 days. For use in currently infested areas, increase use to 1 pouch per 8 sq. feet of floor space and replace every 30 days."

Not bad if it works as advertised.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by reetired View Post
Fresh cab packets works great for mice. Smells like balsam...
We use it in our outbuildings, vehicles and boat during the winter.

Their product is satisfaction guaranteed...their customer service will also assist you to eliminate or prevent a problem.

We swear by it and we live in the woods with lots of mice. So far so good...
Not balsam woods, then?
Old 12-09-2015, 03:04 PM   #9

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
We store our 19 outside and uncovered. After winterizing we leave the max vent open a crack. We remove all clothes, sheets and towels but leave in the seats and bed. We do nothing more. There isn't any power available where it is stored and we do not visit it it so emptying a moisture collector is not practical. For 4 winters now and we have not had any mildew or mould.
Also we let the solar panel keep the batteries charged.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Not balsam woods, then?

I wish...love the balsam fir scent. We actually have Yankee candle balsam fir to make the house smell like Christmas.

Padlin- As long as you can still smell the scent on the fresh cab...it's still working. We change them out every 6 months. For the vehicles we only use one....you know mice like to chew wires!
Old 12-09-2015, 03:15 PM   #11

Trailer: 5.0TA 2016 Spirit Bear
Cab packets? Is that a brand name?
Old 12-09-2015, 03:41 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I wish I could report such good luck. Mice LOVE to build a nest on top of the cabin air filter in my Tacoma. After reading about them, I put a Fresh Cab packet in the glove box, directly below the cabin air filter after putting in a new filter, with high hopes. When I checked the filter a few months later it was full of a mouse nest - as usual. I even tried opening a packet and sprinkling the contents onto the top of the filter - again no luck. I think they love my cabin filters much more than they hate the smell of the Fresh Cab.

I now get cabin air filters on a regular basis from Amazon Subscribe and Save. The mice won.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:01 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Mine has been outside since I got it in July 2008. Spends most of its time under a huge cedar tree here in North Vancouver.
I don't have a cover. it gets a good wax job instead.
I have two Dri-Z-Air containers inside the trailer to absorb moisture. I also leave the Maxxfan open a crack and from time to time I run an electric heater.
All cupboards, drawers and fridge are left open. Cushions are stood on end ( I have no room to store in my house ).
Last year, up near Oliver, a couple stopped us and asked if the trailer was new.
Hi gbaglo, I like your idea. What wax do you use and does it offer UV protection?

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:31 PM   #14

I'd go with one of the 3M marine products. They have a line of products for different applications. Some are for various degrees of restoration and protection. Some are just protection.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:50 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
I wish I could report such good luck. Mice LOVE to build a nest on top of the cabin air filter in my Tacoma. After reading about them, I put a Fresh Cab packet in the glove box, directly below the cabin air filter after putting in a new filter, with high hopes. When I checked the filter a few months later it was full of a mouse nest - as usual. I even tried opening a packet and sprinkling the contents onto the top of the filter - again no luck. I think they love my cabin filters much more than they hate the smell of the Fresh Cab.

I now get cabin air filters on a regular basis from Amazon Subscribe and Save. The mice won.
Hi: thoer... Try a fabric softener sheet... Worked in our trailer when we stored it in my bro-in-law's shed. I wonder if it will work on snakes in Fla. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:21 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Storage

Hi all
Everybody has a different storage situation and level of comfort. We are fortunate to be able to store the 19 in a metal building in the back yard about 75 feet from the house. That said, though the building is reasonably tight, we remove the cushions and all food, paper goods etc and store them in the house. We mask off the vents and openings and then put mothballs in the buildings and camper cupboards. We don't mind the odor and it only takes a few days to air out as we are doing spring prep. I like glue boards around the doors of the building too. Might all be overkill but we did this for 21 years with the fold down and it's always worked for us. Mice are my enemy and I trap them in my other garages. I like the goo in a Snicker bar for bait. They reef on it and then it's lights out. I was a licensed nuisance control operator ( Illinois) for over ten years and have studied wildlife about every day of my life. Stay at it and never let a skunk raise his tail.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:52 PM   #17

Dave, I've read that smells (Dryer sheets, mothballs, Fresh Cab.) deterring mice is a myth, true or untrue?
Old 12-09-2015, 06:56 PM   #18

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
I'd go with one of the 3M marine products. They have a line of products for different applications. Some are for various degrees of restoration and protection. Some are just protection.
Thanks gbaglo

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Dave, I've read that smells (Dryer sheets, mothballs, Fresh Cab.) deterring mice is a myth, true or untrue?
I check Rumor has it : snopes.com
Old 12-09-2015, 07:23 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
We live in Surrey. Storage conditions vary even on the same property. Because we are forced to store our trailer on the north side of our property, in the shade of our house, everything grows a green slime by spring. Each spring I would have to get on the roof of our old stick trailer and clean not only the rubber roof, but all the slots and crannies around the vents and such. We got a cover for our Escape 21 for just over $200 and hope it saves us the big cleanup for a few years.
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote