What do you do when you're an adventurous homebody? This. - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2015, 03:36 PM   #21

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Kathie View Post
Sara,
I'm a retired Oncology nurse. It can be terrifying but remember they have made huge strides in cancer treatment and folks that have a good attitude and sense of humor do the best. Take it one day at a time, it's a simple strategy but works well. A few more tips for the road:
  • Practice relaxation techniques.
  • Share your feelings honestly with family, friends, a spiritual adviser or a counselor.
  • Keep a journal to help organize your thoughts.
  • When faced with a difficult decision, list the pros and cons for each choice.
  • Find a source of spiritual support.
  • Set aside time to be alone.
  • Remain involved with work and leisure activities as much as you can.
What comforted you through rough times before your cancer diagnosis is likely to help ease your worries now. I can tell that you are already on the road to recovery in your journey. I'm glad that you have the Escape and adventures to look forward to in your future. All the best to you!

Kathie
Kathie,

This is such a helpful post! Thank you. All of it is great advise, and I know you speak from experience.

Looking at your list, for me the two things that have helped the most are:
* reminding myself to take it one day at a time. It helps to keep from being overwhelmed by the big picture.
* and, since getting out of the hospital, I've worked on getting back to the things that bring me joy and what a difference it's made!

My "Sarandipity Travels" Blog: https://sarandipitytravels.com/
Sarandipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:37 PM   #22

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Not even that far back. It was '89 when I had leukemia, and at that time the success rate was less than 50%. 10 years earlier it was pretty much a death sentence.
A friend of mine had one of the first successful bone marrow transplants for leukemia back in 1975/76 at Fred Hutch.

She went on to get a doctorate and have a successful career in hospital admin stuff for many, many years.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Sara,
As the Godparents of your 17B we felt an immediate connection to you when you first emailed us your story of travel plans and we were so happy that you were able to get the trailer. Having met you and followed your early blog we were initially saddened by your news, but then realized how special you are and you will beat this and get back on schedule for your dream.
We send you our love, and prayers as you walk through your bump in the road and we will be following your saga as it moves to a successful next phase.

Greg, Janea, & the Quartzsite kids......
Hi Greg, Janea, and the Quartzite kids (love that nick name for them!).
It's great to hear from you! I'm glad I was able to buy the egg from you when I did because it gives me a wonderful goal to look forward too and the planning is a good distraction.
Thank you for sending love and prayers - they are so appreciated!

Old 11-27-2015, 03:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Sara - bummer about the medical issue. Two years to recover from it - wow! Will you have to stay home during those two years or can you start to use your trailer for some shorter trips?

I was not aware of your blog until this post popped up. I checked it out - great blog and I love the layout of it. Love the story of your doggies. My mom "acquired" one of my cats the same way you got your dog from your parents. I laughed pretty good over that.

Best of luck with getting past the cancer. Oh, I found it interesting you called gave it a gender. Most people I think just say "it".

I look forward to future blog posts as I'm going to subscribe to it.
Hi Laura, hubby, and cat.
Yes, two years seems like a long time, but it's really only the first 9 months that I'm tied to staying here for infusion treatments. After that I could take short trips since I'll be transitioning to only oral medications. Not sure how often I'll be seeing the doctor at that point, but I think I'll be able to get away for several weeks at a time. I'm excited for that!
I liked reading that your mom acquired one of your cats too. It's all in the family, right? LOL As I type this, faithful old Jocko doggie is laying at my side hoping I'll give him the crust of my sandwich. So spoiled.
I think I personified cancer with a gender because it felt like a real entity to me when I was growing up and dealing with Leukemia with my mom. He would come to me in nightmares as a male vampire... now I get to kick his a$$.
Thanks for the message!

Old 11-27-2015, 03:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrallen View Post
Sara
i wish you all the best in your medical treatments and that you are on the road soon. i enjoyed your blog very much, you make the reader feel like they are in a conversation with you. JR
Hi JR,
That's the best compliment you could give me about my blog. Thank you! And I appreciate the well wishes too.

Old 11-27-2015, 04:04 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Sara, when I was a kid growing up in the 50's cancer was a word synonymous with death. Now there are millions of us who are survivors, as you will be. I play poker with 5 buddies and now 3 of us are survivors.

The worst day of my life was the call from my Dr confirming that the biopsy showed I had cancer. The best day was the follow up after my surgery when the surgeon said that he was confident he got it all out. As others have already said, I think a positive attitude is one of the keys, and you surely have that.
Eric,
This is so true. When my mom got cancer in 1977 it seemed like a rare thing and it was a death sentence for her. They weren't able to do much with the kind of leukemia she had. Now, everyone seems to know someone or they have been personally touched by cancer, yet the survival rate is much better. I liked hearing your story - survivor stories are my favorite kind of story right now. I'm "lucky" to have a very treatable form. It'll take a while, but I'll beat this thing.

Old 11-27-2015, 04:08 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
A friend of mine had one of the first successful bone marrow transplants for leukemia back in 1975/76 at Fred Hutch.

She went on to get a doctorate and have a successful career in hospital admin stuff for many, many years.
That would have been 13 before my bone marrow transplant. Sounds right. That was the first cure for leukemia. Yay for her.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I had stage three breast cancer about twelve years ago. One very tough year and one year that was a little less tough. I know it's a different journey for each but it helped me to think about it that way. I've been very healthy since and able to resume all my activities. I feel blessed to be alive and healthy. All the best to you focus on the fun things you will be doing in a year or two!
Hi Fox Hunt,
12 years behind you - that's awesome! Another survivor story. I can relate to the one very tough year, and one little less tough year. I think that's what I'm facing too. This is helping me to appreciate the beauty of each day and the kindness people have shown me, and so there are blessings woven into this experience that I won't forget.
Thanks for your message.