What do you think of a Fiberglass Only Campground? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2019, 01:39 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
What do you think of a Fiberglass Only Campground?

Hello Escape world,
My better half and I are planning a trip to the Keys sometime next year, never been there before so her and I are both looking forward to it. As many of you know finding places to camp there are not the easiest especially since the hurricane damage, plus one thing I've also noticed is some of the private more expensive RV parks are SNOBS I guess because they will not allow a trailer smaller then 25', crazy isn't our $$$$ the same?
Finding campgrounds in Florida close to a beach that have availability always seem hard to find. I was wondering based on both of those reasons what would the forum members think of an RV park that only allowed molded fiberglass trailers? Is this something they would be enough support for?
I ask because something I'm kicking around, buying enough land somewhere on the gulf cost side to do this. Would not be a huge place, can't see more then 10 sites tops really thinking more 4-6.
Just curious what peoples thoughts are on this, am I crazy?

Enjoy the journey.

Steve.
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:33 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Wow Steve what an idea. I would definitely support something like that if we lived in southern ON, and not MB. Now we do make trips to the Panhandle only because our daughter and family are at Fort Benning but they won't be there longterm and we would prefer to go to AZ-NM-TX in the winter.

Were you thinking of perhaps making this land your retirement home and adding some RV spots for FG trailers?

I'd think if you priced it right for FG owners of any brand, many of whom could not afford the price of most FL private RV parks, it could work. Whether you'd be allowed to "advertise" on the fora you'd have to check with moderators. If not perhaps word of mouth among FG owners could do it.

I would suggest perhaps the Panhandle where you have the advantage of likely cheaper land close to the water but the disadvantage of cooler winter temperatures.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:44 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Another campground in FL would be welcomed by many.

To misquote Field of Dreams, "If you build it, they will come".
Old 02-06-2019, 04:43 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 w/Maple interior
Great idea.

A FG trailer only campsite. Great idea! You build it and they will come......especially me.
sailjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:49 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Would you let in a nice couple who used to have an Escape but had to switch to a class B due to health issues? It sounds like a lovely idea! ��
Old 02-06-2019, 09:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 5.0 ta
Fantastic idea, it would be a good topic for discussion at the rally in Osoyes
GimliGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:56 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
If a clean and well-maintained - but not moulded fiberglass - trailer of a size which would fit in this campground were to show up, I assume that it would it be turned away. If so, wouldn't the people with that trailer be justified in saying "they're SNOBS I guess because they will not allow a trailer which isn't fiberglass, crazy isn't our $$$$ the same?"
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:05 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I can't imagine why anybody who likes camping would open an RV park. Can't imagine why anyone who likes fly fishing would open a fly shop.

Get vacation when the weather sucks and the rivers are closed.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:30 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
A similar old fisherman saying is, if you ever want to quit fishing a lake, just buy a house on the lake, and you'll spend all your time working on the house and won't have time to fish anymore. Some swear it's true.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:10 AM   #10

Update I have real estate agents in both Florida and Alabama because i would consider the Gulf Shores area.

I do not want an RV park, really no more then 1-2 acres and can't see it ever having more then 10 spaces.

Brian you had a good question but the marketing to molded fiberglass owners is just part of the idea mostly because I would only want small rigs based on the size of the area.

One of the biggest issues would be monitoring of the place, do I have one site that is for an on sight person? With technology today I could set up gate, even secure the hookups somehow that you get a code for .

Not sure where this will go, over my years the best investments I've made have been in real estate and how I plan to fund my retirement with the rental properties and mortgages I hold. I was looking at possible home or condo in these areas and thought hey what about this idea so time will tell I guess.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
Old 02-07-2019, 12:32 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
... the marketing to molded fiberglass owners is just part of the idea mostly because I would only want small rigs based on the size of the area.
That makes a lot of sense to me: keep the parking area in each site small, restrict the trailer size to match, and market to moulded fiberglass owners, but don't restrict the type of trailer allowed. The campground would provide a valuable alternative for those blocked out of the "minimum size" businesses, and would naturally have largely moulded fiberglass customers.

It would presumably also appeal to Class B motorhome owners.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:07 PM   #12

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
A friend of mine wanted to do something like this on his land here in Fl. The problem is the new campground rules and building regulations. The older campgrounds don't want the competition and had localities set up rules making it hard for start ups. One deal breaker was either 400 or 800 sq. ft. of severe weather shelter space for each site. The options are either buying an old campground with grandfathered requirements or build a shade maker resort that charges about $100 per night. Before you buy land you need to check out local zoning and building campground requirements. Doing things like this are not as easy as they used to be.

Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:37 PM   #13

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by elongest View Post
A friend of mine wanted to do something like this on his land here in Fl. The problem is the new campground rules and building regulations. The older campgrounds don't want the competition and had localities set up rules making it hard for start ups. One deal breaker was either 400 or 800 sq. ft. of severe weather shelter space for each site. The options are either buying an old campground with grandfathered requirements or build a shade maker resort that charges about $100 per night. Before you buy land you need to check out local zoning and building campground requirements. Doing things like this are not as easy as they used to be.
On the other end of the spectrum you have Boondockers Welcome which has some hosts with room for multiple rigs, water, electric and some even have abilities to dump. These people are allowed to do it on their private property with no charge for staying over, but can charge for utilities. One property I saw claims to have room for 10 rigs. I guess these are in areas where the local zoning laws or enforcement hasn't caught up to them yet.
Attached Thumbnails
boondockers welcome FL.JPG  
Old 02-07-2019, 06:25 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokanEscape View Post
Would you let in a nice couple who used to have an Escape but had to switch to a class B due to health issues? It sounds like a lovely idea! ��

As long as the class B self-identifies as FG!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:57 AM   #15

Update

Hello All,
Update on this little idea. I've found some land in the Cape San Blas area that might work for this. According to the building department I could put '6 dwellings' on the property, they know what I want to do. Right now doing some research to make sure land is not in flood zone or wetlands.

Will keep everyone posted as this moves along

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
Old 02-14-2019, 09:41 AM   #16

the location looks ideal, good luck.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:01 AM   #17

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
We would love to utilize your future Cap San Blas location, if you go for that.

We had looked at camping at Mexico Beach but that campground disappeared in Hurricane Michael. In fact my sister had planned to spend a month there this winter and their friends had actually taken their brand new trailer down there and it ended up on its side and destroyed.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:15 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
That area might work out because it’s not “snowbird” territory, so not heavy demand in the winter months.
We’re on the waiting list for the Escapees park in Summerdale, AL about 20 min from Gulf Shores and Orange Beach, so a different approach to have a base in the Pensacola area.
I think you have an interesting idea and will be following as you find out more info.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:17 PM   #19

Might not be official snowbird country but try getting into an area state park for more then a night.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:46 PM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Edited the title for ease of search and to reflect the actual topic.

My vote: I think you'd have a hard time keeping such a place afloat. Fiberglass trailers make up a very small percentage of the RV market, and you'd be eliminating over 95 percent of your potential business.