What do you use your inverter for? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2018, 02:16 AM   #1

Trailer: 21' 2018
What do you use your inverter for?

This has proven to be the most difficult decision for us. Our build sheet is due today. We want to say just do it to be safe, but it's a pricier option and if we don't need it so won't get it. I feel like we'd get it back in resale, but I guess it depends when we sell.

We want to be able to use the microwave for a bit here and there, and otherwise feel like we could rely on 12v or a portable inverter. That said, I really can't picture what we'll be using. I've gotten great electrical advice here, but I'd like some anecdotes on inverter use, and whether you feel like a portable inverter would do just as well, and whether the inverter can do what you need it to without draining your battery.

Thank you!
Old 01-25-2018, 04:42 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
As I remember your first inquiry, you plan to get the one 12 volt battery, not the two 6's. This may factor in to some of the responses our members will give you. Whatever electrical capacity the 12 volt has, I think the two 6's have more than double the single 12. So factor the upcharge and weight of two batteries.

We have the two 6's, and that's why I responded toward the inverter originally, but don't go by me.

Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:51 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You can not provide for all situations. I'd suggest you use the trailer and then make you decisions. You may never use that microwave, it is totally different that being at home. You can always buy one if you find you have to have it and you may always have hookups when you realize that boon docking is too rustic, then the inverter issue is moot. Camp in the trailer and enjoy it, you will find that you may live totally different than what you perceived.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:47 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
My inverter is a stand-alone 150 watt pure sine wave inverter. I could not justify spending the amount necessary for the ETI built ininverter. Our little inverter is only used by my spouse to watch TV if we stay overnight at Walmart or Crackererbarrel, etc. and also if we are boondocking. In reality, it gets used very little.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:28 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21, 2014 Northern Lite slide in, 2014 2500 Duramax
We have been boondocking and other camping for many years, with many different units. We came to the conclusion the microwave was just a bread and potato chip storage bin. If you delete that then you get a cabinet door, there will still be the wired 110 plug inside, if you ever want to add one. And the storage space is bigger.

In the case of the inverter, we now use a 12V TV so it is not needed for that, when we had a 110 v TV we used a 70W plug in inverter, we still carry it and use it to charge my electric razor.

We have found we live perfectly comfortable on 12V, though we do have solar to keep the batteries up
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:37 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I KNOW you're going to be happy when you're done with the build sheet. We've all been there...

Everything is a trade-off. Those of us that have had trailers before, know how we camped. But none of us know what the future may bring. The best we can do is think about how we want that future to look.

Budget being a big deal, I didn't get the A/C, shiny wheels or solar. That meant I didn't spend $2,425. All things I can have done at a later date. But, I can't run wires... $950 is a lot of money, I don't know if that money spent will be worthwhile 5 years from now. But the way technology is rapidly changing, perhaps solar will power the batteries enough that I can use every single plug in the trailer on "electricity" by then. Who knows, but I have no regrets due to my own limited skills and I bet it would have cost me waaay more than that to have someone else do the work.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:22 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
We use a 150 watt inverter to run a 22 or something inch lcd tv on rainy days, for just one movie an evening. more like if it as been raining for a few days.
And to charge my razor and the hand-vacuum.
Yes we could do without it, especially if we were plugged in.

We had the micro-wave and took it out and put it in the basement.
We store cutting boards and phones and stuff in the cupboard it used to occupy.
We used the microwave once, at the Escape Rally for a potluck item.

I do not see the value in the inverter or, the reason to have the inverter, the microwave. I do very much see the value in the dual 6v batteries and solar.
We tend to camp with no hook ups more then 90% of the time.

I don't think the inverter effects resale value as the person who really needs it probably wouldn't trust anything but their own installation.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:27 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
The microwave, coffee pot, toaster, hot pot, heat shrink gun, charging power tools, charging camera batteries.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:30 AM   #9

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxoco View Post
We use a 150 watt inverter to run a 22 or something inch lcd tv on rainy days...
We had the micro-wave and took it out and put it in the basement.
We store cutting boards and phones and stuff in the cupboard it used to occupy.
We used the microwave once, at the Escape Rally for a potluck item.
Sounds like us, we have a 140 watt inverter for the 22 inch TV and as far as microwave, after three years carrying it around, it's now in the basement like yours, it'll go back in the cupboard under the door side counter when we sell the trailer.

Thanks to the OP a lot of good questions have arisen in the last week which will assist us in our build sheet although that is a long way off yet.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:33 AM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Again , our inverter rides around in the back of our truck taking up space. If it were not for my wife's medical condition it would be sitting at home on a shelf in our storage shed.
If you pass on the factory inverter and it becomes an issue , it is something that can be easily remedied at a later date.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
As I remember your first inquiry, you plan to get the one 12 volt battery, not the two 6's. This may factor in to some of the responses our members will give you. Whatever electrical capacity the 12 volt has, I think the two 6's have more than double the single 12. So factor the upcharge and weight of two batteries.

We have the two 6's, and that's why I responded toward the inverter originally, but don't go by me.

Bill
Thanks for all the responses thus far. We have the dual 6v and 160w solar panel
Old 01-25-2018, 11:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
The microwave, coffee pot, toaster, hot pot, heat shrink gun, charging power tools, charging camera batteries.
Oh, power tools. Could these be charged in a portable inverter? I don't suppose they make 12v chargers?

I figure all of your resistance coil items can't be used with a portable inverter?

You can use all of that stuff on your inverter (obviously not at one time) without killing your battery? That's encouraging for my near certainty of getting it. For power preservation we'll prob make toast and coffee on the stove, but great to know the batteries can do it!
Old 01-25-2018, 11:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
Oh, power tools. Could these be charged in a portable inverter? I don't suppose they make 12v chargers?

I figure all of your resistance coil items can't be used with a portable inverter?

You can use all of that stuff on your inverter (obviously not at one time) without killing your battery? That's encouraging for my near certainty of getting it. For power preservation we'll prob make toast and coffee on the stove, but great to know the batteries can do it!
I carry a 3/8" drill and an impact driver, neither of which has 12V chargers. I rarely have to recharge them more than once on a trip, and, like my camera battery chargers, I wait until the solar has the batteries full, then use the excess sunlight to charge my various 120V stuff.

The resistance coiled coffee maker uses 6 amp hours to make a pot of coffee, the toaster between 7 - 9 amp hours, and the hot pot around 2 amp hours to boil enough water for a mug of tea.

The drill & impact drivers don't use more than an amp hour each to charge the batteries, and the camera chargers even less.

One of the heaviest draws is my laptop, which uses as much as 9 amps @ 12V. I admit to being a heavy power user - I have 2 160 watt panels on the roof & carry a 160 watt portable. I've dry camped for 91 days in a row; currently on day 67 here in Quartzsite.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:51 PM   #14

I posted something that might be useful in another thread - http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...tml#post234681
Old 01-25-2018, 02:26 PM   #15

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I used a small portable till I had need for 300w of PSW power, anything decent needed to be hardwired. Went with a 1000w so it'd cover a toaster.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:31 PM   #16

Location: In my Escape...full time. Currently in Maine, Maine
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I'm in the same boat re. Inverter decision but have another month to decide. It can always be added later... Not a real big deal. The inverter being installed by ETI right now is not great. I may use a portable for a while and I stall a better wired unit later if the need is apparent. Happy shopping!
CarlNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:18 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
We got the solar panel and the inverter installed at ETI. Currently, the only thing we carry that requires the inverter is a Bose SoundTouch 10. It’s comforting that we will have both choices for power in the future. We’re just getting started!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Brookfielder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:29 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Ryobi makes a 12V charger for its line of battery-powered tools that are sold at Home Depot. I keep one in my trailer when I'm traveling to charge my Ryobi drill, air compressor, etc.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:56 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
They do. I didn't find one in a quick Home Depot search; however...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Ryobi makes a 12V charger for its line of battery-powered tools that are sold at Home Depot.
Sure enough, I had just missed it - they call it an "In-Vehicle Charger", and I was looking for "12 volt". Now knowing what to look for, I see that most brands seem to have them:
DeWalt
Makita
Matco
Milwaukee
Ryobi
You don't need to use one of these (you can use a plug-in inverter and 120 volt AC charger) but this is the tidiest and probably most efficient way to get energy from the trailer's battery into your tool's battery.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:55 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
My current favorite ryobi gadget is a nice fan that runs on 120 OR on a charged ryobi battery. I don't have AC in my current trailer, and it's come in handy several times. Glad to know there's a way to charge the battery with 12v.