What is yr Favorite Flooring Brand-$,quality and designs? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2017, 03:46 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
What is yr Favorite Flooring Brand-$,quality and designs?

I am sizing up flooring and was wondering what brands you guys have found to be the best. I would like something reasonably economical, but good design and decent quality.

Any opinions out there?
Any thing special I look for in flooring?
Nancy
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:05 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
We've sure seen some beautiful flooring. Of all the options, I went with the stock floor. I use a full length rug runner, if it gets gross and can't be cleaned and de-stained any longer, I'll buy a new one. So little of the floor shows on both sides, it wasn't important to me to spend the money to something other than stock. AND, I can always change THAT in the future if I so choose. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
We are going with stock flooring for the same reason as Donna - it will mostly be covered by rug anyway. Maybe down the road install something like the Allure flooring mentioned in other posts. One in a long list of mods.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: The Quilting Lady... My favorite is,
1 Tequila
2 Tequila
3 Tequila
FLOOR!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:23 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
:laugh
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
1 Tequila
2 Tequila
3 Tequila
FLOOR!!! Alf

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
1 Tequila
2 Tequila
3 Tequila
FLOOR!!! Alf
So to be precise your fav floor is da te-quillin' floor?
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:41 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
okay, you guys are too funny!
I spent hours picking out a flooring a couple of months ago and then found out this morning that Pioneer won't order the Mohawk floor that I liked. That is why I asked.
Any real help?
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:47 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
1 Tequila
2 Tequila
3 Tequila
FLOOR!!! Alf
Reminds me of the message I saw printed on a t-shirt some time back. It said, "I don't have a drinking problem. I drink. I fall down. No problem." FLOOR!!!

Oh, and we went with the stock flooring, too. It worked with our custom fabric and counter top, we'll also likely have a runner covering most of the floor anyway, and the savings let us spend a little more on other options that were a higher priority for us.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
I spent hours picking out a flooring a couple of months ago and then found out this morning that Pioneer won't order the Mohawk floor that I liked. That is why I asked.
Any real help?
Will say we were determined to avoid the current stock flooring having had the prior version in a 2010 17B. It didn't have the faux brick pattern but was discontinued. After spending hours both at Pioneer and at home we gave up. Still miss the original but for the amount of flooring that shows outside of the carpet runner it doesn't seem to matter.

With the current exchange rate it still is appealing to many. Call Pioneer to see what brands they offer then see if there are any equivalent styles here you can chose from. Easier to do it there, but they don't have everything in stock they can get either.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:15 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
The default flooring in 2015 was Mannington brand. We ended up staying with Mannington since Pioneer could get it and went up two or three levels from the default. It wasn't very expensive with the exchange rate, $235 total CA so somewhere around $175 US. Pretty inexpensive for an upgrade in flooring.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:34 PM   #11

I agree for that price it is worth trying to do. We ran out of time having an updated production schedule slot where we had three weeks to get the build sheet done. Stock is fine but if you can find something you really like....
Old 01-05-2017, 12:03 AM   #12

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
Any real help?
We ordered through Pioneer, went with Armstrong.
I first picked some I liked from the Armstrong website, and with my list beside the phone contacted Pioneer. Some got crossed off: not available, some got question mark: not in stock/no display, some Bingo: on display!
Pioneer lady was so nice to take pictures from the display samples, and sent them.
With the help of the Pioneer lady I was able to make my choice, ordering the same day.
(The Armstrong website tells you the differences in quality)

Hope this is any real help
Old 01-05-2017, 04:09 AM   #13

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
I'm still a little confused over the "difference in quality" with Armstrong. The pattern I liked actually went by 3 different names, so I assumed they were different quality/price/thickness on the website. On closer look, they seemed to have different warranties, which made sense. However, when I spoke to Jackie at Pioneer, she said they were all exactly the same. Guess we'll see what I get. I almost went with a Mannington pattern - much simpler - Good, Better, Best (or something like that).

Just to let you know, I changed my mind a hundred times, and ended up going with the one that first caught my eye!
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:59 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Every manufacturer of vinyl flooring makes different qualities, sometimes as many as four. Quality is determined by a bunch of factors, like the quality and thickness of the different layers, the finish, the vinyl and the base.

A good surface will wear much longer and show less signs of wear, something important for us as we don't tend to take shoes off going in and out unless muddy.

The vinyl layer can be more cheaply done with a printed layer which is much thinner and more prone to wear, making it more affordable. Or can us an inlaid vinyl where vinyl particles are laid on the backing and pressed with the top layer on, creating a more durable product. The latter produces a more textured surface and not only is tougher, it shows and wear much less too.

The thickness and makeup of the backing helps determine the resilience and strength of the vinyl flooring too.

I am sure everyone has seen older vinyl that looks like it has been trashed and is worn out, this is the cheaper stuff. There is also older vinyl that still looks to be in great shape, though the style may be dated. Some of the new vinyl flooring is much better than that made in years past.

This is why I always recommend going into a good flooring store and asking them about the various qualities of their products. They will usually have the varying qualities on separate racks. You can then view large samples. Take a sample of the cabinetry wood and vinyl wall liner with you, and the countertop laminate and fabric samples if you have chosen them too.

We first settled on a fabric, and then chose coordinating laminate and flooring.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:30 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
When we got to go visit ETI in Chilliwack we had our fabric and Formica samples with us. As it turned out, Pioneer Building Supply was glad to loan us several flooring samples to take over to Escape and put them all together in the model trailer. It is only a short drive back and forth, and we found that to be very helpful in making our choices.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:13 PM   #16

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Is there a reason to purchase your own flooring / countertops beyond aesthetics ? . Is the standard flooring / countertop supplied by Escape of poor quality ? Is the reason for incurring the added expense and time only to make a personnal statement ?.
I am just trying to understand why so much time and forum space is devoted to this subject . If the factory supplied products is truly inferior or hideous , it might make sense.

I would rather spend my money on options that cannot be added or easily modified at a later date but I am more concerned about function than the form.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:27 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
When the flooring is installed, it covers from wall to wall - not easily done after. The countertop can be replaced but again, not easily.

The trailer will be our home away from home for months at a time - it should look like and feel like home. That is why we upgraded the stock choices.

To each his own.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:27 PM   #18

I don't think the current stock flooring is poor quality, but it isn't as easy to clean as their original vinyl as it has a bit of a raised pattern in the faux brick. For about $300 many people think it is worth it to get what they want.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:30 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Is there a reason to purchase your own flooring / countertops beyond aesthetics ? . Is the standard flooring / countertop supplied by Escape of poor quality ? Is the reason for incurring the added expense and time only to make a personnal statement ?.
The standard flooring and countertops are of very nice quality.
In my case, the fact that I'm ordering a $30K trailer and waiting over a year means I'm inclined to get exactly what I wanted.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:31 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I am just trying to understand why so much time and forum space is devoted to this subject . If the factory supplied products is truly inferior or hideous , it might make sense.

I would rather spend my money on options that cannot be added or easily modified at a later date but I am more concerned about function than the form.
The vinyl, countertops and fabric on our 17B were all standard and we were completely happy with them all. We are most likely going to get the standard ones again in our new 21, but are considering a different floor - not because the standard is poor quality though.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flooring