What keeps you from camping? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-04-2014, 06:57 AM   #21

Trailer: Scamp 16, TV Rav4 V6
Waiting till the end of this month, when my 16` Scamp is ready. 26 days, who`s counting. Carl
civi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:50 AM   #22

Please remember, you can take family along when you camp, you can take time away from work, and camp with less money, but once your health slides (and it will, unexpectedly) your choices diminish.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:11 AM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A View Post
Please remember, you can take family along when you camp, you can take time away from work, and camp with less money, but once your health slides (and it will, unexpectedly) your choices diminish.
Would you be my boss, please.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:21 AM   #24

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I find it quite surprising how little money it takes to camp, ( not including initial investment ) I am refering to day to day expenses. We always find that we spend less money than if we were home. The only thing that seems to add up is the cost of gas if we are going a long distance.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:58 AM   #25

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Someone in the family who says "You just went camping last week. Look at the overgrown lawn, look at the dirty bathrooms, look at the peeling paint, etc., etc."

In a word: Guilt

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:06 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Best wishes Tash for a speedy recovery. You'll be back out there soon.

By the way, do you ever go through Rantoul? My Mom runs the Prairie Pines RV Campground there.
I haven't been through that area in a long time, but my sister lives about 45 minutes from there.

And I love hearing some of you talk about retirement--good for you! I have only about 20 years to go!
tash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:15 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Just got back from nearly a full week of wilderness camping on the Bowron Lakes canoe circuit in BC. Did the 120 km circuit in five days, four of which were in nearly continuous heavy rain. Took an unexpected swim in the one rapid on the circuit on the day with the heaviest rain. Had to dry out a pile of stuff before continuing on. Packed canoes and gear over about 11 km of portages. My home built portage cart broke down several times and tore up the bottom of my canoe. Tore a biceps muscle paddling hard on a windy lake. My buddy over estimated the amount of food we needed and we ended up carrying about 40 lb of extra food weight around the entire circuit. Biggest animal we saw on the circuit was a squirrel but we did see a moose and three black bear on the way out. Met some wonderful people from all around the world. Could not see much of the scenery until the last day because of the rain. Last day was an awesome paddle through glass like water and wonderful scenery. My canoe trailer broke a weld on the 1000 km trip home. Had a great trip. Cannot wait to go camping again.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:17 PM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
What Keeps you from camping?

154 Days, 18 hours.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:03 PM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
"When you arrive at a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

Dave - sounds like you also took a knife and a spoon.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:05 PM   #30

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Just got back from nearly a full week of wilderness camping on the Bowron Lakes canoe circuit in BC. Did the 120 km circuit in five days, four of which were in nearly continuous heavy rain. Took an unexpected swim in the one rapid on the circuit on the day with the heaviest rain. Had to dry out a pile of stuff before continuing on. Packed canoes and gear over about 11 km of portages. My home built portage cart broke down several times and tore up the bottom of my canoe. Tore a biceps muscle paddling hard on a windy lake. My buddy over estimated the amount of food we needed and we ended up carrying about 40 lb of extra food weight around the entire circuit. Biggest animal we saw on the circuit was a squirrel but we did see a moose and three black bear on the way out. Met some wonderful people from all around the world. Could not see much of the scenery until the last day because of the rain. Last day was an awesome paddle through glass like water and wonderful scenery. My canoe trailer broke a weld on the 1000 km trip home. Had a great trip. Cannot wait to go camping again.
Sounds like quite an adventure. I must admit that packing the right amount of food is the toughest part for me when backpacking, I always seem to come home with lots of extra and wish I hadn't lugged the extra weight
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:11 PM   #31

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A View Post
Well said! My wife and I decided about 10 years ago to start really enjoying life and the outdoors camping, traveling, motorcycling, hiking, canoeing, fishing...you name it while we still have good health and our desire for adventure. We won't retire for another 7-8 years but why wait for retirement?? The best time is right now!
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:14 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
Well said! My wife and I decided about 10 years ago to start really enjoying life and the outdoors camping, traveling, motorcycling, hiking, canoeing, fishing...you name it while we still have good health and our desire for adventure. We won't retire for another 7-8 years but why wait for retirement?? The best time is right now!
Ditto. We both recently turned 50. Why wait another 15 years?
Old 09-04-2014, 05:54 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Any photos to share, beautiful country, if you got a chance to see past the clouds that is.

Quick trip. You might have used the food if you had to spend more time, though that is quite a bit extra.

Which river did you swim in, Isaac or Cariboo? The whole reason that the cookhouse on Lanezi is closed in, is for the many that take a swim in the Cariboo to warm up.

When I canoed the circuit, we did not see much wildlife either, but when I skied it, we saw lots, include hordes of moose, one wolverine, and a few wolves.

Crappy on your canoe cart, as they sure do make the portaging easier. Crappy on the trailer too. It seems you got the bugs worked out.

This shot was taken after rounding the NE corner of Isaac Lake. Similar conditions to what you had, by the sound of things. This was taken during a brief respite from the rain we had all the second day.

These guys kinda missed a portage takeout on the Isaac River. Taking to the owners of Bear River Mercantile, they lose a few canoes a year on the circuit.

Yeppers, I am really looking forward to the day I do this circuit again.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:00 PM   #34

Quote:
What Keeps you from camping?

154 Days, 18 hours.
Lots of great tents out there. The Escapes are really nice, but.......

Fortunately, I started exploring the great outdoors in my early teens, and was hooked. I used to spend all my spare time in the backcountry, all year round, and started trailer camping when our kids were young. They slept in cribs in our tent trailer when babes.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-04-2014, 07:37 PM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Lots of great tents out there. The Escapes are really nice, but.......

Fortunately, I started exploring the great outdoors in my early teens, and was hooked. I used to spend all my spare time in the backcountry, all year round, and started trailer camping when our kids were young. They slept in cribs in our tent trailer when babes.
I hear you Jim. We love to camp, but the tent thing is getting very old -- thus the name 'Past Tents' for our new Escape.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:04 PM   #36

Quote:
I hear you Jim. We love to camp, but the tent thing is getting very old -- thus the name 'Past Tents' for our new Escape.
LOL. Fitting name.

Not quite Past Tents here just yet. I am hoping I am still using one where needed for many a year yet.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:26 PM   #37

Trailer: 2006 casita
Child support and private school has kept me from camping but i am thankful to have had the opportunity to own a casita and introduce my daugther to camping at a young age. I was a kid that was raised in the projects in Nyc and never saw a real tree until I 13 Now that I hit 50 I am determined to enjoy life as I no longer have the payments to my daugter education and support. I have no regret to either but cant wait to order an escape next not olny for product but the people that own them, as I have said many many times
kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Child support and private school has kept me from camping but i am thankful to have had the opportunity to own a casita and introduce my daugther to camping at a young age. I was a kid that was raised in the projects in Nyc and never saw a real tree until I 13 Now that I hit 50 I am determined to enjoy life as I no longer have the payments to my daugter education and support. I have no regret to either but cant wait to order an escape next not olny for product but the people that own them, as I have said many many times
Thank you for sharing that Kevin. I look forward to meeting you at some future egg rally.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:11 AM   #39

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
When you get views like this while canoe camping, it is easy to wait a little longer to take out the Escape.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:20 AM   #40

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Beauty.