What keeps you from camping? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2014, 12:21 AM   #41

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Who had to paddle that red canoe with all the rocker?
Old 09-06-2014, 12:44 AM   #42

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Who had to paddle that red canoe with all the rocker?
Unfortunately that was my buddy and I paddling the whitewater tripper. The other two in our group paddled touring kayaks. Was not the first time that I paddled a river tripping boat on a mostly lakes trip, but I am a little tired of putting so much greater effort into paddling than others with lake boats.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:09 AM   #43

Best buy another canoe EH?

I've got a Clipper Prospector 16' which is manageable on a river up to grade 3 and a bit of work on a lake in a wind, solo. Had a 13' Otter for solo white water until my body told me to sell it. When you are sideways on a rock in the middle of the river because your arm gave out while trying to eddy-out, you have lots of time to weigh your priorities.
Old 09-06-2014, 01:15 AM   #44

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Ice-breaker, that is a photo of where? Gorgeous.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:31 AM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
It's so important to take advantage of today as we don't know what tomorrow will bring. We were fortunate to retire, and head up to Chilliwack on the very next day. Then a 10 week journey back home. 1 week ago, my wife was diagnosed with a brain tumor. We will get through this & the Escape will be used for many years to come.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:04 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
It's so important to take advantage of today as we don't know what tomorrow will bring. We were fortunate to retire, and head up to Chilliwack on the very next day. Then a 10 week journey back home. 1 week ago, my wife was diagnosed with a brain tumor. We will get through this & the Escape will be used for many years to come.
Kstock11,

I am very familiar with what your going through, you both will get through this just keep your chin up. While running around for the Dr appt's bring your stuff to plan trips it will help pass the time. A tablet works well to keep track of plans.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:18 AM   #47
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Oh man Kevin, I'm sorry to hear about Barbara. Wishing you both well and many more happy times ahead.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:22 AM   #48

Hoping all goes well. The Dr. appts. do tend to mess up camping plans.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:48 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Ice-breaker, that is a photo of where? Gorgeous.
The photo was taken on Lanezi Lake on the Bowron Lake Provincial Park canoe circuit in northern BC. This is a wilderness canoe circuit that is about 120 km long and is accessible only by canoe or kayak (travelling clockwise on map below) in non winter months (some people cross country ski or snowshoe in winter). Photo was taken last week on the third morning of the trip, about halfway around the circuit. It was a very scenic trip and well worth the effort required to see it.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Old 09-06-2014, 10:01 AM   #50

Quote:
Best buy another canoe EH?

I've got a Clipper Prospector 16' which is manageable on a river up to grade 3 and a bit of work on a lake in a wind, solo. Had a 13' Otter for solo white water until my body told me to sell it. When you are sideways on a rock in the middle of the river because your arm gave out while trying to eddy-out, you have lots of time to weigh your priorities.
I actually do about 95% of my paddling on rivers and much of that on whitewater with up to C3 rapids (but have hit a few C4 features on some rivers). I sold my 9 ft long solo WW play boat (ESQUIF L'Edge) just this spring. I mostly paddle either solo or tandem in my 13 ft long Mad River Caption, which is highly rocketed and a great stable boat even in big rapids, but terrible on flat water. For tripping, which we do primarily on rivers, I use the 16.5 ft long Evergreen Starburst you saw in the photos. All of my boats have cages for securing air bag flotation on trips with rapids. For the Bowron trip, we took the Starburst, which was a mistake. In hind site, i would have rented a lake canoe instead.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:47 AM   #51

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
When you get views like this while canoe camping, it is easy to wait a little longer to take out the Escape.
Methinks we have stood on the same spot, though for me it was almost 7 years ago in this shot. We did stay here too when we skied the circuit.

Quote:
I've got a Clipper Prospector 16' which is manageable on a river up to grade 3 and a bit of work on a lake in a wind, solo.
I know a lot of folks with Clipper Prospectors, mostly the 17' one though. Here are a couple shots of my bothers and one of their kids in them, on the North Saskatchewan River.

Quote:
1 week ago, my wife was diagnosed with a brain tumor. We will get through this & the Escape will be used for many years to come.
My best wishes go out to your wife and you dealing with this. You seem to have a good positive attitude, a must for a good outcome.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:33 AM   #52

Trailer: Escape 21
Quote:
Having walked that journey in recent times with some family members and friends, I wish you the very best and am sending good thoughts to you, your wife and family!
tash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:22 PM   #53

Trailer: none
Time, money & health. Rarely do I have all three working for me. The job gets more demanding, time slips away, and when I can finally break free, health issues (mine and the family's) limit what I can do. But I cannot wait for retirement as I have at least 14 more years to work and I do not know what the future holds.

I used to feel guilty about having my 19 but not using it as often as I want. No more. I go when I can. And I cherish every trip, no matter how short.
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:03 PM   #54

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
That is so gorgeous !
Old 09-06-2014, 01:25 PM   #55

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
best of luck to both you and your wife.

Leon
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 03:47 PM   #56
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Sending prayers and best wishes your way.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:56 PM   #57

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Kevin, hope your days ahead go well and you and your wife can resume your good times camping.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:09 PM   #58

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
We wish you the very best , having good things to look forward to - along with that attitude will surely see you through .