What size is your u-shaped dinette table? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2017, 02:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
What size is your u-shaped dinette table?

The ETI website shows the u-shaped dinette table in the 21 as 34" Wide x 30" Front to Back. I know many of you have had ETI make custom size tables and some of you have made your own. What size is your table and does it work well for you? Would you do something different if you could make a change? I understand the pedestal choice can factor into this but I am more interested in your table size. Does the standard u-shaped table make it difficult to get in and out of the dinette? We are definitely going to keep it 34" wide so it can be used as a bed. We appreciate your thoughts.(Photos would be great too.)
Matt & Mary
matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:01 PM   #2

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Mine is stock u shaped size- but i had the corners in the back cut off like the corners in the front. i also have the pedestal table support so the table can rotate and the stock slide this makes it easier to get in and out of.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:11 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
At first we just used the flip-up tables and did not install our standard U-dinette table. Then we came across a couple with a standard dinette and the Springfield so we thought that would be great. Researched some more and found this from drpaddle who made a custom table for his 21:
New, improved dinette table for our Escape 21 | Follow Toto

After mocking up with cardboard we determined 18" was not deep enough and found that 24 was a good fit for both dining and lounging. Doug said if he were to do it again he would also for 24" I believe.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:36 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I cut it down to 24", work well for the 2 of us. I did make one the same size but put a curve in the front and back, that works well too but 8ve yet to make a finished version of it.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
At first we just used the flip-up tables and did not install our standard U-dinette table. Then we came across a couple with a standard dinette and the Springfield so we thought that would be great. Researched some more and found this from drpaddle who made a custom table for his 21:
New, improved dinette table for our Escape 21 | Follow Toto

After mocking up with cardboard we determined 18" was not deep enough and found that 24 was a good fit for both dining and lounging. Doug said if he were to do it again he would also for 24" I believe.
Yes I have seen Doug's Toto Lounge and I like it very much. We are actually considering having ETI make us two table tops that we can switch out depending on our needs. One would be the standard 34"x 30" or close to it. The other would be a small 34" x 15" table top that would be primarily used to make a lounge using the 15" x 17" corner cushions, but could also double as a small table when needed. We are also getting the counter extensions on each side of the dinette that would help when using the small table. My guess is we would primarily use the larger table whenever there might be more than two of us. If we go that route we could not use the Springfield pedestal because the table tops would have to be interchangable. Our other option would to get one table top that could work as both a lounge an a standard table. I'm just wondering if 24" would possibly be too large for a lounge and too small for a 4 person table when needed. I'm not sure though, so I thought I would ask those who have gone before me.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:10 PM   #6

We originally had two 12" filler boards; one made at ETI with cushion and a second one we made and used extra fabric for another cushion. That experience for the first 18 months helped in our decision on the table depth and using the mock-ups confirmed it.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
Our other option would to get one table top that could work as both a lounge an a standard table. I'm just wondering if 24" would possibly be too large for a lounge and too small for a 4 person table when needed. I'm not sure though, so I thought I would ask those who have gone before me.
Maybe the type of folding table I made for my Scamp 13 would work. Half table most of the time and full size when more surface area is required. The folding part was supported by full extension drawer slides and was quite strong.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
10-12-2011 4-09-53 PM  008_resize.JPG   10-12-2011 4-09-54 PM  009_resize.JPG   10-12-2011 4-09-54 PM  0010_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:45 AM   #8

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I like the boat tables that just fold to become smaller then unfold for a bigger table thinking of asking my step father to make one he made a beautiful one for his sail boat
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I cut it down to 24", work well for the 2 of us. I did make one the same size but put a curve in the front and back, that works well too but 8ve yet to make a finished version of it.
For those of you that have 24"x34" tables, is it manageable for 4 people to dine at the table?
Old 12-13-2017, 07:58 AM   #10

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
For those of you that have 24"x34" tables, is it manageable for 4 people to dine at the table?
As long as 2 are kids it might work. When were going to have 4 I install the original full size table, I've not tried 4 with the 24"er.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:35 AM   #11

We had two 6"3 lads join us for breakfast; cozy but not awkard.