What temperature extemes can the Escape handle? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2009, 02:07 AM   #1

What temperature extemes can the Escape handle?

My question is what temperature extremes can the Escape handle? From winter cold to summer heat.

I read how the Escape did well on the Oregon coast in January, and as an Oregonian I know the coastal winds and rain can be really brutal. But three years ago I got caught tent camping in 20 degree weather at night in Eastern Oregon, and a person invited me into their trailer for coffee the next morning (an Artic Fox trailer, which exceeds my weight goal). It was very comfortable. I would like to be able to be caught in the same temperatures with an Escape, but I am unsure if I can when I read posts taking about pipes on the outside... (BTW - It did get above freezing the next day)

On the other side I would like to be able to handle high 90's that Eastern Oregon often gets in the summer.

I have been dreaming of buying a fuel efficient RV when I retire for many years, and I became eligible to retire this year. So it is time for me to start getting more serious in my search. Everything I read says the Escape is quality, and seems fairly priced (at the current exchange rate of 90 cents US buys one dollar Canadian).

Thanks for your answers.
gnorthern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:59 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Re: What temperature extemes can the Escape handle?

We, mine seemed to do ok at -35ºC a while back.
I was definitely not in it though.

Though not camping with it, it was used as a guest house for one for a few days where the lowest low temp was -10, an only an electric heater was used. There was a bit of condensation on the windows, but with the heat on and a vent cracked, it cleared out during the day when it warmed up to around freezing.

There is no way you should be using the water system in the Escape if the temps drop much below freezing with the stock setup.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:34 AM   #3

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Jim, do you have the double paned windows?
I keep a small ceramic heater going all winter in Hokie with a small crack in the ceiling vent, and it's staying "toasty", despite all the cold, snow and ice. With the fresh water tank under the camper, rather than inside (under a seat for instance), Jim's right, you can't even think of using the water system. But, if you can find a place that has heated shower/bath rooms, then you've got yourself a neat little winter camper.
The only real "regret" I have with Hokie, is that I placed a 13.5 air conditioner on her. A 9.0 would have cooled her just fine in the hotest of temps, and been a lot more energy efficient.
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:57 AM   #4

I do have the dual glazed windows and extra layer of insulation.

Why do you keep a heater going all the time, if it is winterized?

This is one of the reasons I never got one installed when I bought the trailer. Now that Escape is offering one with a lower draw, I will consider getting one put on if in the area, otherwise I will just go with the Coleman Polar Cub and put it in myself. Of course I will need to get the mounting shroud from Escape.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-22-2009, 10:03 AM   #5

My parent's 19' escape has two water pumps installed, one to draw water from the water tank under the trailer and one water pump to fill a portable water tank that can be quickly installed under the queen bed. We will be installing a few valves in the current plumbing system so we can switch between the two water tanks. When I go football tail gating in the winter which is almost always well below freezing, we will only fill the tank that is inside the trailer and put a little anti freeze in the holding tanks. In the summer, it will only take a few minutes to remove the water tank under the bed to free up storage space...
GoCougsKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:15 AM   #6

Trailer: '09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"

On our return trip after picking up Grasshopper, we had several consecutive nights in northwestern Montana with low temps in the single digits and high temps in upper teens to low twenties. On the coldest night (5 F) we were able to keep the inside around 60 F using the factory propane furnace while dry camping. We achieved similar results using a small ceramic electric cube heater when on shore power (outside 7 F; inside 60 F). We have the extra insulation and thermal window options which I'm sure helped.

We kept the fresh and gray tanks empty but did keep using the black tank for night time needs. We put RV antifreeze in the various p-traps. We didn't drain the hot water heater - however we left the doors under the bed open so heat could get in there to keep the temp above freezing. We kept the cabinet doors throughout the trailer open to help keep condensation minimized as well. For fresh water needs, we had a 4 Gallon Jug that we kept inside the trailer with us.

We managed fine but I have to confess that it was stressful being newbies and not knowing for sure if we were pushing things too far. Suffice it to say, we made several phone calls to Reace and Tammy to explain the conditions we were camping in and to get their opinions and reassurances that Grasshopper would be fine. Having successfully endured the single digits sure took the edge & stress off of camping in the 20-30's F for the rest of the trip home .

Can't report on the opposite temp extreme yet but, if we have another TX summer with 65+ days above 100 F like we did this year, there'll be plenty of opportunities to do so.

'09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"
'14 MB GL350 BlueTEC; '99 Toyota 4Runner V6 4WD
Texscapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:03 PM   #7

[quote=Jim Bennett ]
2 reasons:
1st: I like to go out occassionally and "piddle" around. So, it's not taking my breath when I go in. I can dream about camping, even if I can't go in the snow.
2nd: No condensation, or at least that I've ever noticed. With the very small crack in the vent, and the low heat, it stays nice for my "piddlin' around".
I've got the front off the microwave right now, "Shoring up" the attachments (which came loose last summer). Yes, it's a waste of some electricity, but "I don't drink, smoke or chew, or go with girls who do", so I've got to have SOME vice : - )

Old 12-22-2009, 03:16 PM   #8

Iffen you gotta 'piddle', it might be nicer in the house.
You are right Dan, definitely worse vices.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:09 PM   #9

Thanks for the great info. I am sure the way it can handle cold, it can handle heat with a good air conditioner. Now I just need to convince my wife on the design of the fifth wheel.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:20 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnorthern
Thanks for the great info. I am sure the way it can handle cold, it can handle heat with a good air conditioner. Now I just need to convince my wife on the design of the fifth wheel.
Hi: gnorthern...If I can do "IT"...you can too!!! Convince your wife that is
Alf p.s. If you need some help let me know!!!
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist
Hi: gnorthern...If I can do "IT"...you can too!!! Convince your wife that is
Alf p.s. If you need some help let me know!!!
I may need your help. My wife is convinced she wants a king sized bed. I am convinced I want the towing convenience of a fifth wheel. Problem is there are no small fifth wheels with king sized beds. Though maybe I should be asking how you intend on helping.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:09 AM   #12

Unless you want to get a large trailer that comes with a king size bed, most likely with slide outs, I think a queen size bed is plenty for two. The 19' comes with a queen size bed, which is also a very common size bed in much larger trailers.
GoCougsKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:45 AM   #13

When we bought a much needed new mattress for home, we went to a king because we had the room. Well, my side is still less then 2' wide. A goodnight kiss requires a trek across the bed. In hind sight we kinda wished we had of stuck to a queen.

We were just pickled tink when we saw the 19 had a permanent queen bed. We would have settled for a bit narrower, but did not want the 48"(or less) that many others had, like Bigfoot.

When we hit the backcountry, most of our tents allow 2' per person, which is plenty adequate, just not luxurious.

Kev is right, most larger trailers use a queen bed too, a king is a rarity.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:00 AM   #14

Heck, my beauty gets too far away from me in a double bed : - ) The queen in the 5.0 is wonderful. One of the best parts, it goes front to back, which makes it easier to get in and out in the middle of the night.
The new thread on "why a 5.0" should be an interesting one for you.