What Television should I buy - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2019, 08:42 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21 Build due for May Completion - towed by 2018 F150 S/Crew 3.5L EcoBoost XLT/FX4 6.5 Box
What Television should I buy

Hi, I have tried searching the forums but cannot find any discussions on TV's before we go buy for our new 21. I understand from the ETI guides That no more than 22 inches is preferred. We are having the full height cabinet option which as you know means the TV will be mounted further toward the rear than standard. So any feedback and/or suggestions on this and best one to get is welcome. I found this one which states it is good for being viewed from different angles:
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...11534288.aspx?

Thanks
AnglingMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:22 AM   #2

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglingMad View Post
Hi, I have tried searching the forums but cannot find any discussions on TV's before we go buy for our new 21. I understand from the ETI guides That no more than 22 inches is preferred. We are having the full height cabinet option which as you know means the TV will be mounted further toward the rear than standard. So any feedback and/or suggestions on this and best one to get is welcome. I found this one which states it is good for being viewed from different angles:
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...11534288.aspx?

Thanks
Good luck with your 21, fun times! We bought a 24 inch Supersonic 1080p. https://www.amazon.ca/SuperSonic-108...ef=sr_1_3&th=1.

We bought it because, unlike most of the branded competitor TVs, it plugs directly into a 12V receptacle without the need for any kind of transformer/inverter (see attached image). If you are having an inverter installed (which we didn't) you could then consider a 120V TV. However we recently purchased a "regular" TV and there was a transformer between the 120V wall receptacle and the TV, so if you are in a trailer, you then have to put it somewhere. So this was simple, wall receptacle direct into TV, always runs on 12V, no extra transformers and cables etc to worry about.

It has a decent picture, with several different inputs. The feet are detachable. Sound is only fair, but we ran it through a Bose speaker in our old 17B trailer, but will run it through a sound system we installed in our new 21. As to size, I'm not quite sure why the 22 inch or less is "preferred". I looked at ETI's supplied TV arm and checked on weights and we had no problem with a sightly bigger model.

Meets our needs well. PS also comes with a 120V supply too, which is a transformer that connects to a regular 120V receptacle and has an output which connects to the TV. When not in the trailer, the TV sits in our den.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5943.jpg  
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:26 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think your question has it backwards, with the full height cabinet your tv will be farther forward than without the full height cabinet. So if you are in bed it is closer, in the dinette, farther away.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:35 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Hi John,

Congratulations on your new 21’ TT.
We chose a 24” from Best Buy (120V), added a Bluetooth dongle to the headphone jack and paired it with a small Bose speaker. Works great for us.

Insignia[emoji769] - 24" Class - LED - 720p - HDTV

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insigni...?skuId=6164815

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7873.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	36416

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:45 AM   #5

Trailer: 2020 25' Flying Cloud Airstream with three 90-watt Zamp Solar roof panels and 140-watt ZS Portable
Furion makes a nice 19 inch TV with a built in DVD player. It can run on 12-volts and 110 shore power. My 1500-Watt Inverter has no issues running the device. Good Sam had these on sale when I purchased mine last year. Since we boondock at least 50% of the time, devices we purchase must run via both options. Our Solar configuration of one 160-Watt Zamp roof panel and one Zamp 120-Watt portable with a Zamp 30 Amp Charge Controller have worked well. If I ever need more solar, the Zamp three port roof port makes adding additional roof panels easy. While a Zamp Solar Y splitter would allow for multiple portables.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:02 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 21 Build due for May Completion - towed by 2018 F150 S/Crew 3.5L EcoBoost XLT/FX4 6.5 Box
Re Further forward - You are correct.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:58 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Hi John,

Congratulations on your new 21’ TT.
We chose a 24” from Best Buy (120V), added a Bluetooth dongle to the headphone jack and paired it with a small Bose speaker. Works great for us.

Insignia[emoji769] - 24" Class - LED - 720p - HDTV

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insigni...?skuId=6164815

Attachment 36416
Hi Fred . We bought a 22 insignia from Best Buy, back in 2013 and tv is still going strong . We have always liked the picture and color on Sony . In fact just bought a new Sony for home . The color and picture on the Insignia is pretty good . Happy with the Insignia purchase for the trailer . For better sound we use Sony blue tooth especially if at beach . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Fred . We bought a 22 insignia from Best Buy, back in 2013 and tv is still going strong . We have always liked the picture and color on Sony . In fact just bought a new Sony for home . The color and picture on the Insignia is pretty good . Happy with the Insignia purchase for the trailer . For better sound we use Sony blue tooth especially if at beach . Pat
We bought a 22" LG. The IPS screen has a really wide viewing angle, 1080p and the sound is good.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5KGXUX...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Since we bought the inverter all outlet, powering it is not a problem.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:56 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
We bought a 22" LG. The IPS screen has a really wide viewing angle, 1080p and the sound is good.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5KGXUX...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Since we bought the inverter all outlet, powering it is not a problem.
Didn't want to spend lots on TV for trailer .But it had to have a good picture and color . For home want a better TV , especially for movies . We only use TV if we have hookups mostly . Since solar install haven't tried TV with inverter . We tend to read and play games instead when boondocking . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:53 AM   #10

Thanks for your feedback we are complete novices so your feedback is welcome. We cannot find any smart TV's at this small size but it would make streaming, etc, far easier. We do not watch to much TV anyway but when we do we like to pick a choose so if we stay anywhere that has a good wifi internet connection it would open up access to more content for us to use. However, I guess we can use the laptop for this with some form of external speaker, as has been suggested .
Old 01-17-2019, 08:36 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
We currently download shows from Netflix and Amazon to watch on our iPad. In the future with a TV we can connect the iPad to the TV with an adapter and stream the show to the TV. We have never found WiFi in a campground fast enough to support streaming directly.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:36 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Thanks for your feedback we are complete novices so your feedback is welcome. We cannot find any smart TV's at this small size but it would make streaming, etc, far easier. We do not watch to much TV anyway but when we do we like to pick a choose so if we stay anywhere that has a good wifi internet connection it would open up access to more content for us to use. However, I guess we can use the laptop for this with some form of external speaker, as has been suggested .
Hi: AnglingMad... We have a Toshiba 19"w/ built in DVD player. View it from 15' and it still works fine. Probably not made anymore but maybe you could find one at a thrift store that still works? Alf
escape artist N.S. of lake Erie "Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt".
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Generally the wifis at campsites aren't good enough to support streaming. However, we have a number of old DVD's and bought an up-converting Sony Blue Ray player relatively cheaply and we picked up a version which could hook up to a wifi if a good enough one was available.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:21 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
Generally the wifis at campsites aren't good enough to support streaming. However, we have a number of old DVD's and bought an up-converting Sony Blue Ray player relatively cheaply and we picked up a version which could hook up to a wifi if a good enough one was available.
And you would be amazed how many movies you can store on USB memory sticks!
Old 01-17-2019, 03:31 PM   #15

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I've been in a few private campgrounds that had good enough wifi to stream, till other folks start to show up. Then it drops off to the point of being pretty much useless. An option is a cellular Hotspot.

In lieu of a Smart TV, our laptop and an HDMI cable/adapter works.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:25 AM   #16

Thanks all for your input. We will kick off with a 22 inch to stay within ETI limits and as suggested utilise our laptop and storage devices to add to the mix of content. I am sure that will be quite sufficient for our needs.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:18 AM   #17

Trailer: , Bigfoot 25B25RT, previously 2019 Escape 21, and Castia sd17
tv

We are working through entertainment options with our new 21. In our Casita we had a 24" Samsung which we rarely used. We found it was easier to download movies to our ipad and watch that. We have unlimited data so the iPhone and ipad connect easily. With the new 21, we are leaning towards a ipad pro and a mount from Costco.
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by buellfire View Post
We are working through entertainment options with our new 21. In our Casita we had a 24" Samsung which we rarely used. We found it was easier to download movies to our ipad and watch that. We have unlimited data so the iPhone and ipad connect easily. With the new 21, we are leaning towards a ipad pro and a mount from Costco.
That's sounds a good solution providing a good mobile signal is available. However, I am afraid not for us as we are based in the UK only spending 6 months a year in Canada and a few weeks of that plus the odd weekend away max on the road so no way a huge monthly mobile data package would cost in.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:29 AM   #19

Trailer: , Bigfoot 25B25RT, previously 2019 Escape 21, and Castia sd17
Quote:
That's sounds a good solution providing a good mobile signal is available. However, I am afraid not for us as we are based in the UK only spending 6 months a year in Canada and a few weeks of that plus the odd weekend away max on the road so no way a huge monthly mobile data package would cost in.
Not sure on pricing data service in BC or Britain for that mater, but in the states our Verizon service is reasonable. We pay around $50.00 USD for each line and data service. In my IMHO Verizon have the best service around. Last summer we even had data in the middle of Yellowstone NP! Maybe you could have your home service and a second North America line.
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:43 AM   #20

Everyone knows that Canada is about the worst place in the world for mobile phone pricing and the UK is very good. Every time I go to the UK I just pick up a SIM card for £10 and pop it into my phone. Can’t do that in Canada.