What's in your toolbox? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2016, 03:08 PM   #61

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Good, but for a novice just wanting to hit a specific torque (specifically for wheel nuts), I think the micrometer type is a lot easier to use than reading the pointer position on a beam-type.

I hope all of these things ride around in a protective case (mine does), but if they ever get banged around - something that shouldn't happen - it seems like the pointer of a beam-type is more likely to get damaged.
I was a mechanic for 38 years (actually I guess I still am one) and I used to use a beam type to check my micrometer wrench for accuracy (put an 8 point socket on it an hook them together). I read somewhere once that a beam never goes out of calibration as long as the pointer points to "0" and it does not rub. I vote for the beam type especially since if you don't have one you can pick one up cheap and just leave it in the trailer. They are plenty accurate for lug nuts.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 03:15 PM   #62

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Good, but for a novice just wanting to hit a specific torque (specifically for wheel nuts), I think the micrometer type is a lot easier to use than reading the pointer position on a beam-type.

I hope all of these things ride around in a protective case (mine does), but if they ever get banged around - something that shouldn't happen - it seems like the pointer of a beam-type is more likely to get damaged.
It looks like I'm in danger of getting reported to the Cruelty to Torque Wrench Society. I have 3 beam type that have never been in a protective case. Neither have my micrometer type. After 50 years of using beam type, one lives in the trailer, I thought that I'd be past the novice stage. Oh well, I'll just keep practicing.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 03:38 PM   #63

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I just take my trailer to the winner of the annual torquing contest held at the Mississippi River Rally, she out torqued al the men for accuracy.....
Old 11-16-2016, 04:10 PM   #64

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
All this talk about torquing nuts reminds me of an old skit on SNL about the importance of cork soaking and the popularity of those who actually soak corks. A very funny skit........

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 04:24 PM   #65

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
Brian I've had a beam-type for years, learned how to use it in shop class in high school, and it has served me well. I recently bought a micrometer-type and it certainly has it's good points, but I'll never be without my old one.
Sounds good to me but when I was in junior high and high school, girls couldn't take shop, so I didn't learn anything unless my dad taught it to me- and I don't think he owned a torque wrench (or I'd have it now).
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 04:44 PM   #66

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
... Make sure that you do get the Teflon tape to put back your water heater anode. Also need a tool for that, socket wrench I think 1 1/16". Someone else confirm, please.
1 1/16" is correct. Or a 27mm socket will also work. (Replaced my anode last week. Just in time, too. )

--
Alan
alanmalk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 05:00 PM   #67

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
.....Not sure what you are supposed to ask for these days if you want tape to seal your duct work. Might have to ask that old bugger at HD.
It has to be UL 181B Listed tape. (Which is what we would expect the answer to be characterized as, now days!)
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 05:20 PM   #68

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
What's wrong with a beam type? Hard to use? They are so simple even I can use one. You don't even have to set it up, just put on a socket and push or pull. Might not be quite as accurate, but these are lug nuts, not head bolts.

Easy to damage? Don't see anything delicate on mine.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:12 PM   #69

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Beam me up to Harbor Freight, Scotty.
Attached Thumbnails
Birdmoo2.jpg  
Old 11-16-2016, 06:34 PM   #70

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I've never heard of a broken micrometer-type torque wrench; I have heard of damaged pointers on beam-type wrenches. Maybe it's not an issue, and baglo is just a klutz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
I was a mechanic for 38 years (actually I guess I still am one) and I used to use a beam type to check my micrometer wrench for accuracy (put an 8 point socket on it an hook them together). I read somewhere once that a beam never goes out of calibration as long as the pointer points to "0" and it does not rub.
I agree about staying in calibration; it depends only on the spring stiffness and zero setting, and the spring is the beam so that doesn't change with time. The same is true of a click/micrometer type wrench, but the zero can drift if the wrench is left set, rather than returning it to zero after each use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
I vote for the beam type especially since if you don't have one you can pick one up cheap and just leave it in the trailer. They are plenty accurate for lug nuts.
Both types are available cheaply; both types are more than accurate enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
It looks like I'm in danger of getting reported to the Cruelty to Torque Wrench Society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
What's wrong with a beam type? Hard to use? They are so simple even I can use one.
It's certainly simple - you just have to read the quivering needle against the scale while applying torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
So back to those torque wrenches- is there a preferred brand?
So, Bobbie... it seems the consensus is to buy anything called a "torque wrench" with a 1/2" drive end, and be happy.
As for the brand... if you're buying really cheap, I see an advantage of the beam-type: as long as the scale is printed at the right size, there's nothing to mess up in the design, so it's the safe way to go.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:47 PM   #71

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
I've never heard of a broken micrometer-type torque wrench; I have heard of damaged pointers on beam-type wrenches. Maybe it's not an issue, and baglo is just a klutz?
I am a klutz, but I wasn't using it, hadn't used it for probably 20 years. Went to get it from the tool box and there was no pointer.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:01 PM   #72

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Torque wrench

I have a permit to carry this bad boy. It was issued by Thoer after I took an online course from Trump University. It only cost $4,600.00 Here I'm shown on my way to study for a midterm exam down in my shop. The semi concealed waistband carry is an approved method. Just one thing I learnt.
Proto 1/2 in drive, 30 to 150 ft lbs. Contest tested.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0823a.jpg  
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:14 PM   #73

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Six-shooter in the left hand?
Old 11-16-2016, 09:22 PM   #74

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I have a permit to carry this bad boy. It was issued by Thoer after I took an online course from Trump University. It only cost $4,600.00 Here I'm shown on my way to study for a midterm exam down in my shop. The semi concealed waistband carry is an approved method. Just one thing I learnt.
Iowa Dave

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:29 PM   #75

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Iowa Dave
Now tha's a bass ass.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:30 PM   #76

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
and...
Attached Thumbnails
Horsing2.jpg   Nanc-Ben.jpg  
Old 11-16-2016, 11:20 PM   #77

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
I thought that I read somewhere that some users have some kind of adaptor that goes into a cordless drill to more easily move the stabilizers up and down when setting up and taking down to save on elbow grease. We have a 17B on order being picked up in the new year and this adaptor/ socket end might be a good stocking stuffer/gift to ask for at Christmas. Anyone got a photo of what this looks like and what size the socket end needs to be please?

Thanks much.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 11:22 PM   #78

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I thought that I read somewhere that some users have some kind of adaptor that goes into a cordless drill to more easily move the stabilizers up and down when setting up and taking down to save on elbow grease. We have a 17B on order being picked up in the new year and this adaptor/ socket end might be a good stocking stuffer/gift to ask for at Christmas. Anyone got a photo of what this looks like and what size the socket end needs to be please?

Thanks much.
A 3/4" socket does the trick.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 12:41 AM   #79

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
A 3/4" socket does the trick.
... but just a normal socket doesn't fit a drill. You also need an adapter which fits into the drill chuck and has the square drive end which fits normal sockets.

Some RV stores sell a one-piece version (3/4" socket on the end of a shaft, such as the Camco 57363), but there's no need for a special tool like that (although it's only a few dollars so might make a good stocking stuffer)... and many of them have a round shaft instead of the triangular or hexagonal shaft which would be easier for the drill to hold.

If instead of a drill you have a cordless driver with a 1/4" hex socket (instead of a chuck to hold drill bits), you can get sockets that plug directly into it because they have a 1/4" hexagonal shaft; they work in a regular drill, too.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 12:44 AM   #80
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:

Thanks much.
I have this one. Fits basically any common 3/8" drill.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N0IHMXM..._0fvlyb8CN0V1K