What's under the bed? And making the bed - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2015, 12:51 AM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
What's under the bed? And making the bed

I know some RVs have underbed storage where the mattress lifts up, but I didn't see mention of that at the ETI site. Granted, I haven't cruised this site enough to discover if it's already been covered. So, please bear with me if it's already been asked and answered.

I'm most interested in the either the 19' or 21', but won't make any decisions until we scamper up to BC to check them out in person.

Also, since the bed is against the wall, I'm assuming it's a real pain to make when trying to put fitted sheets on. I'm not concerned about blankets being military tight and all that. I just don't want my fitted sheet to come off during the middle of the night.

However, I do like (as in REALLY like) that the beds are 80" long! My feet won't hang over the edge. YAY! (I'm 5'10")
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:41 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
Laura, We had a Casita (with the bed across the rear of the trailer) prior to our 21' Escape. Our Escapes bed is so much easier to make then the Casita. We never had issues with fitted sheets coming off either trailer.

There is storage under the bed. We separated our underbed storage into 4 sections. One for the water heater, one for large items (with outside hatch access), one for shoes (with inside cabinet door entry), and one with a long drawer and cabinet door entry for whatever. It works very well for us and items don't move around at all. I can send pictures if you want, or you can drive the 10 to 15 minutes and see it for yourself.
Tom
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:52 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We used two flat sheets on our 19' and will probably do the same on the 21'.

There is plenty of underbed storage in both. They have access on the interior and exterior so that both interior and exterior items can be stored underneath.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:55 AM   #4

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Hey, great to know there's storage under the bed. I was not aware of that from going to their site and looking at photos. Thanks for that info and how it's accessible from inside and out.

Makes the Escapes even MORE appealing!
Old 05-14-2015, 01:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAfraser View Post
There is storage under the bed. (snip) I can send pictures if you want, or you can drive the 10 to 15 minutes and see it for yourself.
Tom
Tom, I sent you a PM earlier this evening with my email and all that. Yep, definitely will need to see your rig now! Thanks!

Laura
Old 05-14-2015, 08:02 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Definitely tons of storage under the bed. We store a lot of stuff under there, and still have room. We keep all the trailer setup stuff there, all outdoor mats, tables and chairs, games, bedding, dirty clothes, cleaning stuff, spare hoses and cables, and so on. We do have an extra big access hatch, which is real handy. The doors inside are handy too. We used to use the lift up access under the matress a fair bit, but now that we have a heavier foam mattress, it is a bit tougher to use, and only use it when we must.

As far as bedding goes, you would do fine in the 19. It is a full queen, and fitted sheets never come off. It does take a couple minutes to fit it nice, but that happens only when putting clean sheets on. And we don't fuss too much with how the bed looks made. We have a heavenly mattress, and cozy sheets (just a sheet and light down duvet in warm, and add a wool blanket when cold).

Do check out the 19 and 21 in person. Though similar features and quality, the layouts are very different, and while we prefer the full queen bed, tucked right out of the way in the 19, many love their 21.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:59 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
Laura, for some reason, PM is not working for me. I'm working with an administrator to correct the problem. Until then, you can contact me at thafraser@gmail.com.
Tom
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Do check out the 19 and 21 in person. Though similar features and quality, the layouts are very different, and while we prefer the full queen bed, tucked right out of the way in the 19, many love their 21.
I do plan to check both out. I like the layouts for both, so it's going to be more a matter of which feels better when I'm actually in it.

Thanks for the info, Jim.

Laura
Old 05-14-2015, 04:49 PM   #9

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
Laura:

There is a lot of space under the beds. We bought a used 2011 19. The previous owners suggested, and we adopted, the use of four "tupperware" bins that fit under the bed. They are tied together front to back so when the pull out a front one the rear one comes with it. This avoids crawling under the bed to get the back ones. This plus the small side hatch allows fairly easy access to most of the under bed space.

I know nothing of the 21. However, I think there is a split between the 19 and 21 for tow vehicle. We tow our 19 with a V6 XTerra and are happy with the combination. I'm not sure we'd try to tow a 21 with the XTerra. But others will have more info in this area.

Your mileage may vary.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:59 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
We used two flat sheets on our 19' and will probably do the same on the 21'.
Two flat sheets, eh? Now that's a good idea. Because one day I'm going to be "making" my bed and that fitted sheet is going to come loose and wrap me into a cocoon. And what comes out of it won't be a pretty butterfly, either.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:59 PM   #11

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
Then you could go the "travasak" idea which is super easy...
Old 05-14-2015, 10:19 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm an adult of the waterbed age. Loved it! Making the bed was a PITA. Then waterbed sheets were invented. Bottom sheet with pockets and the top sheet was sewn to at the bottom area of the bottom sheet. Only one sheet to tuck in and the top sheet never came untucked. I sleep in 600 count Egyptian cotton sheets in Ten Forward. I will be sewing the top sheet...aka waterbed sheets, to my trailer sets.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:57 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 19'
Travasak

We went the Travasak route and love it. A large double sleeping bag with the sheets Velcro'd inside it. One side is lighter for summer weight and the other side is heavier for winter weight. smooth it out and you're good to go. Making the bed takes 3 minutes. Wouldn't go back to fitted sheets etc for any reason.
sokol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:18 AM   #14

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We went with the fitted sheets/duvet route at first and then bought a Travasak (Camping World is now carrying them). So much easier to make. In fact, we like it so much, we bought another for home when the grandkids visit (sofa bed). Plus, we can use it if they go camping with us (dinette/bed).

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote