Wheel chock/stops - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2014, 10:04 AM   #61

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
The "magic" material used with the Anderson has been in use for many, many years in other, even more abusive situations. I've been using it for many years on the suspension system of my Early Bronco. It lasts longer and is more stable then the rubber bushings normally found on older suspension systems. It's also been used for shocks on mountain bikes since before 1994 when I installed them on my bike. So I'm not worried about the "magic" material at all. I have been hearing about some issues with the brake lining material that the ball sits in though. So far Anderson has been taking care of their customers with that issue, which is good.
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:17 PM   #62

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAfraser View Post
I have been hearing about some issues with the brake lining material that the ball sits in though. So far Anderson has been taking care of their customers with that issue, which is good.
That's the material/usage I was referring to.
Attached Images

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:20 PM   #63

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
Sorry, thought you were talking about the material they use for a spring.
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 03:14 PM   #64

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAfraser View Post
Sorry, thought you were talking about the material they use for a spring.
Don't sweat it, I thought just as you did too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:13 PM   #65

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
UPDATE: I bought a single set of Camco size small wheel stops. Easy to fit and stops the "seismic tremors" in the trailer. ($18 from Amazon with free shipping over $35).
Hey Greggo - you still happy with your Camco size small wheel stops (on your 19') ?

they are WAY cheaper than X-Chocks..... i am tempted to get these for our 21'

and does anyone know if the axle / wheel spacing on the 19' is the same as on the 21' ?

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:24 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Those are the ones I have, but I'm switching to the plastic in an attempt to save weight. Will do a comparison and then decide.
Hey Jim

did you ever do that comparison between $18 Camco plastic and the $$$ X-Chocks?

I am curious.

i see lots of very positive comments about the x-chocks on this thread.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:34 AM   #67

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The plastic ones work just as good as the metal ones, but you have to cut down the long bolt to make them work. The two of them weigh about one of the metal ones. Convenience vs weight, you choose. But wither way, wheel chocks are needed and both sides need to be secured to stop any movement.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:37 AM   #68

I almost never used wedge type chocks with my X-chocks in many years, and with lots of parking on undulating ground. We ensured they were in good an snug before disconnecting from the trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-22-2016, 08:05 AM   #69
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
The plastic ones work just as good as the metal ones.....

They work the same, but I don't see how they can be tightened as much as the x-chocks, because of the hand knob instead of the bolt and ratchet. The x-chocks are really heavy duty and very well built. One other minor difference is that the pads pivot to match the angle of the tire curve, instead of just traveling up and down at a fixed angle like a wedge block.

I would think the x-chocks would provide more force against the tires and prevent slipping more than the Camco.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:35 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I would think the x-chocks would provide more force against the tires and prevent slipping more than the Camco.
Though I like the simplicity of the wedge type, and think that if you built your own like Dave did and get the wedge angle just right, I have to agree that the X-Chocks would provide much better holding power, which is part of the reason I am willing to forgo the wedge chocks when using them.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:28 AM   #71

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I have the Camco yellow wedge stops. On the 21 I did not have to cut them down, some careful adjusting allows them to fit as it. I believe they are important for a second reason, they reduce trailer rock. Never an issue on my 19, but that had the scissors style corner jacks, the 21 with those spindly support arms make feel I am aboard ship. The wedges reduce that movement.

One odd thing I discovered is the wheels are set apart different on each side. Once the wedges are adjusted properly I have to make sure to use the correct wedge on the proper side. Not the fault of the wedge but how the axles are aligned. Not noticing anything unusual on tire wear, and not sure how they are supposed to be aligned.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:37 PM   #72

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
I
One odd thing I discovered is the wheels are set apart different on each side. Once the wedges are adjusted properly I have to make sure to use the correct wedge on the proper side. Not the fault of the wedge but how the axles are aligned. Not noticing anything unusual on tire wear, and not sure how they are supposed to be aligned.
That would worry me a bit. Although I'm wondering if the geometry changes depending on the load on each wheel. If the area is uneven that might cause the difference. Otherwise I think that I'd be under there with a tape measure, measuring the distance between the axles on each side.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:40 PM   #73

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
It's hard to imagine how a trailer with the axles installed so far out of parallel that it would be noticeable in tire spacing when using this sort of brake (or "chock") could pull down the road straight and without excessive tire wear.

The Torflex suspension has quite short arms, so vertical travel causes significant fore-aft movement as well. The leading and trailing suspensions should match, so that the spacing between tires stays constant, but an uneven site could make the two sides mismatch... but from Paul's description this seems to be consistent - one side always tighter than the other. Offhand the only two explanations I can think of for this would be a twisted frame (same effect as an uneven site but again, would need to be significantly twisted) or mismatched tire diameters.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:41 PM   #74
Site Team

That would concern me too. The space between the wheels is the same on both sides of our 19. There's no left/right x-chock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2016, 03:50 PM   #75

any chance that someone who owns both the cheap Camco plastic wheel stops (small) (supposedly those fit fine on a 21')

Amazon.com: Camco 44652 Wheel Stop (Small): Automotive

AND the X-Chocks can do a quick scientific comparison test?

perhaps using a BBQ tank scale or something, to see the inches of tongue deflection sideways when pulled a given force sideways..... comparing the 2?

just a crazy thought.

i like the lower cost and weight of the Camco.... but will spring for the X-Chock if they are measurably better.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:52 PM   #76
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
I like the lower cost and weight of the Camco.... but will spring for the X-Chock if they are measurably better.

I don't know about measurably "better", but they are measurably cooler to me - no yellow plastic....lol
Old 04-22-2016, 05:11 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I don't know about measurably "better", but they are measurably cooler to me - no yellow plastic....lol
right but i would hardly care if the Camco got stolen.... the pair of x-chock much more so.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:22 PM   #78

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
right but i would hardly care if the Camco got stolen.... the pair of x-chock much more so.

I believe they can be padlocked.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:05 PM   #79

Quote:
I believe they can be padlocked.
yes indeed, that is true.

any chance that someone who owns both the cheap Camco plastic wheel stops (small) (supposedly those fit fine on a 21')

perhaps using a BBQ tank scale or something, to see the inches of tongue deflection sideways when pulled a given force sideways..... comparing the 2?

just a crazy thought.

i like the lower cost and weight of the Camco.... but will spring for the X-Chock if they are measurably better.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:16 AM   #80

Quote:
Any chance that someone who owns both the cheap Camco plastic wheel stops (small) (supposedly those fit fine on a 21')

just a crazy thought.

anyone?