Wheel chock/stops - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2014, 11:22 AM   #41

Trailer: Escape 19' 2012 Tacoma 4x4 V6 DBLCB 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharper View Post
The Bal-X chocks offer another way to secure the trailer from theft by placing a lock through the holes at the top where the ratchet attaches - prevents them from being removed.
Let some air out knock the Bal-X chock out drive off or... Just drive off like it appears someone has... :}

Cypher

Old 06-25-2014, 11:45 AM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
Let some air out knock the Bal-X chock out drive off or... J
Cypher
Clever

Ron

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:25 PM   #43

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Let some air out knock the Bal-X chock out drive off or...
I agree - clever. None of our members would steal anyone's trailer, but it is good to think of ways that someone else might (so you don't depend on something that might not work). This technique would also be a good way to handle an X-Chock (or similar device) that jams and so cannot be removed by the normal method.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:43 PM   #44

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Quote:
Let some air out knock the Bal-X chock out drive off or... Just drive off like it appears someone has... :}

Cypher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I agree - clever. None of our members would steal anyone's trailer, but it is good to think of ways that someone else might (so you don't depend on something that might not work). This technique would also be a good way to handle an X-Chock (or similar device) that jams and so cannot be removed by the normal method.
On a similar line of thinking, I have noticed, and have seen similar comments from others on other forums, that both the X-chocks and the wedge type chocks may loosen up if installed on your tires when they are still warm from driving. When the tires cool off, they contract, and your chocks loosen up and provide minimal restraint to the wheels. I have found that it is necessary to check them and re-tighten them an hour or two after arriving at a site.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:45 PM   #45

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Yeah, what Jim said...

I was rather annoyed to discover that the "chock" in the name was quite misplaced... Don't trust them to keep your trailer from moving on unlevel ground, use real chocks. I will try Dave's suggestion of tightening them up after the wheel cools, though.

I like them, but if we're only staying one night we don't usually bother deploying them.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2012 Nissan Frontier
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:08 AM   #46

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21
x-chocks

Last weekend we stopped at the Overguard AZ camp ground where the slope was bad enough that my rear legs on the trailer was way off the ground and the tongue was barely off. I used the X-chocks only when I disconnected the TV and only could use the front stab jacks all night. The trailer was very stable and I wasn't worried about it rolling down the hill. I'm still a fan of the bal-x chocks.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:04 PM   #47
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Jack,
I'm under the impression to use the B@L X chocks as well as wheel chocks BEFORE disconnecting the tow vehicle and safety chains.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:40 PM   #48

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21
wheel chocks

Sorry, I meant to say I used the chocks to hold the trailer while I disconnected and then they held the trailer the rest of the time as well as I also had to raise one side with the anderson levelers. What a great camp ground (mostly large units for long term with wood decks) and they evidently had no use for the one bath at night as it was locked and yet the big book gave the bath a 9+. We should have went down the road to a forest service camp ground.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:16 PM   #49

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Fastway One-step chocks

Has anyone used the Fastway One-step Chocks? We currently have the BAL-X chocks. I like them and they are very stable, but DW thinks they are a bit of a pain to set up, especially when we are on level ground. Lindy has been learning how to set up the trailer on her own, and I want it to be as easy as possible for her.

Thanks.

Leon
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:37 PM   #50

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Leon, what is it that she finds a pain in the set up? While I am readying the hitch and chains for disconnect, it is my wife who always installs the Bal-X chocks, and has no issue with them. She has it done in less than a minute. Granted, she has now done it many, many times.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote