Wheel locks and other security approaches - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2017, 05:43 PM   #81

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
In the last post it was implied it was unsafe- before that i was just discussing if it was legal and in most of the US i am comfortable with the assumption based on what i have read that it is legal .. of course i could be wrong and get a ticket but i am willing to live with that. I am on the other hand unwilling to do something that is considered unsafe by the manufacturer of the equipment. If others feel safer with chains then they should use them if i am being told by the manufacturer that it is safe without them then i would prefer not to use them.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:51 PM   #82

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I just have a hard time not believing the hitch experts and the manufacture I have talked too. They are saying its safe both in writing and verbally i can't imagine that they would say that if it was unsafe.
Ask them if they will issue to you a certificate of insurance saying that they will cover all liability for any damage and other legal ramifications of a separation of the hitch without a secondary means of attachment. I'll bet the answer is "no", since the risk - no matter how unlikely - is not one they would be willing to accept.

Also, if Andersen is so sure that chains are not required in at least some locations, why would they offer chain kits both for the Ultimate and for the Ranch Hitch (which is functionally identical)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Safe and legal are different terms.
So true!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:02 PM   #83

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
In the last post it was implied it was unsafe...

I am on the other hand unwilling to do something that is considered unsafe by the manufacturer of the equipment. If others feel safer with chains then they should use them if i am being told by the manufacturer that it is safe without them then i would prefer not to use them.
Yes, running a ball hitch without a secondary attachment method is less safe than having that secondary method, and less safe than a pin-and-plate fifth-wheel (again, without the secondary method). The problem is that people occasionally tow without properly latching the hitch; if you do this with a fifth-wheel you find out before getting to a dangerous speed, as the trailer pulls off the hitch when you pull away (especially if you manually apply the trailer brakes to test), but with a socket over a ball you can easily not notice until something severe happens. With the hitch in the truck bed at least the trailer tongue doesn't immediately drop to the ground and dig in, so it isn't as bad as with a conventional trailer and no chains (that is, it is not as safe as with chains, but not as unsafe as a conventional trailer without chains).

Many manufacturers - or their sales people - say a lot of things they won't stand behind when the crap hits the fan. Especially when saying something is not required makes their product much more attractive. In this case, it's not likely to hit the fan...

Quote:
... in most of the US i am comfortable with the assumption based on what i have read that it is legal
I have come to the opposite conclusion. One online list shows 49 of 50 states as requiring chains, and my guess - based on the few specific regulations I've read and the logic behind the requirement - is that few if any would exempt a ball hitch just because it is in the truck bed. That's why trailers built with this type of hitch generally have safety chains, and why every bed-mounted hitch ball that I've seen (including the B&W Turnover Ball used by some forum members) has safety chain loops. Of course, we all need to make our own decisions, and with a no-chain ticket likely being a minor infraction, financially it's probably not a bad risk. Hopefully no one impounds the trailer until you get safety chain loops added... and a law enforcement officer would have to be pretty annoyed by something you've done to do that to you!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:11 AM   #84

Do what you think is right I will do what I think is right and I have been told by experts is safe and legal to do. Thank you for your opinion I gain insight from hearing opinions from this forum.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:02 AM   #85

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The fact that this is even being discussed on a public forum now creates a record, one that will remain indefinitely. In the event of any legal issue, this information will certainly be utilized. Hopefully, there will not be a need for such.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:43 PM   #86

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by linheu View Post
Hi all,
I've seen references in a variety of posts about the relative lack of security of travel trailers. And I've also seen references to wheel locks, security chains, additional door locks and other efforts to make them a bit more secure but I would love to hear more about what people are doing to help with security. Along with any links to/names of specific products you really like. We are just starting this new travel trailer adventure and while I don't want to overkill this, I also realize it's something I've not paid much attention to. Thanks ever so much.
Linda
So we took a motorcycle ride on Saturday and when we got home my Brahma wheel lock was sitting on my porch. Got to adjust it and put it on this evening.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0453.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	26444

Name:	IMG_0454.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	26445

Name:	IMG_0455.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	26446
I ordered it late last Friday, was shipped on Monday and recived it Saturday from Vancouver. Not to shabby.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:54 PM   #87

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Wow. Just sitting on the porch, and nobody stole it.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:24 PM   #88

Trailer: 5.0TA Nov '14
Brahma Wheel Lock Model: WL001 for sale

I have a Brahma Wheel Lock Model: WL001 ( just like the one in post #86) that has never been used and still in the original box. I'll sell it for what I paid for it $230.00 USD plus shipping. I'm selling it because I didn't want to carry it around in my truck. Send a PM if interested.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:46 AM   #89

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Wow. Just sitting on the porch, and nobody stole it.
No close neighbors, long driveway, sets back from the road can't be seen thru the trees, lots of privacy.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:55 PM   #90

Trailer: 5.0TA 19 Aug 2016, 2012 Dodge RAM 1500, Andersen Hitch.
Regarding the FT KNOX LOCK on the 5.0TA. I find it easy to handle, on and off. When it is parked in our RV Storage lot or in a CampGround the Lock goes on and the chains go into the front storage where the lock came from. I attached a loop ring with a turnbuckle bolt and treads on the chains for quick Dis/connect.
ethanallen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:15 PM   #91

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
So we took a motorcycle ride on Saturday and when we got home my Brahma wheel lock was sitting on my porch. Got to adjust it and put it on this evening.
Attachment 26444

Attachment 26445

Attachment 26446
I ordered it late last Friday, was shipped on Monday and recived it Saturday from Vancouver. Not to shabby.
I like the design of the Brahma lock. Do you recall where you purchased it? I found a Morrison Motorcycle in BC that sells them but have not located any other vendors - my guess is pricing will all be similar though.
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:30 PM   #92

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
Attachment 26444

Attachment 26445

Attachment 26446
It would have been ironic if your lock was taken off your front porch before you got home. When I lived in the city I had to send packages to my work address because they would disappear from my residential front porch.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:35 PM   #93

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
It would have been ironic if your lock was taken off your front porch before you got home. When I lived in the city I had to send packages to my work address because they would disappear from my residential front porch.
At my work place, they advised not to have stuff sent to the office, because there were too many places for it to go missing and nobody had to take responsibility. When I actually got my iPod replacement in the office mail, I was relieved.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:02 PM   #94

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Our 19' Escape is stored on a lot next door. While it's stored, I have a Brahma wheel lock on, along with a Proven Industries tongue lock. If someone wanted to steal the Escape from the lot, they'd have to put in a LOT of effort.

When we're out camping, I leave the Brahma at home and just use the tongue lock.

The Brahma wheel lock is, as they say, a mother of a lock. If you're looking for a wheel lock, I strongly suggest you take a careful look at the Brahma.

Regarding the tongue lock . . . it's from Proven Industries, and it's another "mother." You've got to figure . . . if you have this lock on at a campground, an attempted theft of your trailer would sure attract a lot of attention as the thief attempted to remove the lock.

Actually, I think just having the lock on is a major deterrent.

Chuck
citabria90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:00 PM   #95

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA, pulled w/ 2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins 4x4 SRW LWB
Running a trailer with an in-the-truck-bed ball hitch (gooseneck type) without chains will get you a ticket in Colorado. I rancher I worked with received a ticket for this. Chains attached to the trailer were available, he had not bothered to hook them up.
SWCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:05 PM   #96

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 - 2016 GMC Canyon 4x4 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Adventures View Post
I like the design of the Brahma lock. Do you recall where you purchased it? I found a Morrison Motorcycle in BC that sells them but have not located any other vendors - my guess is pricing will all be similar though.
The company that makes the Brahma is in Burnaby, BC about 45 minutes from ETI. We just called ahead when we went to pick up our trailer and made a quick trip to pick up our Wheelock. $C275 as I recall. They will ship to you if you wish. I don't know what the shipping would be.

"It ain't what you don't know that hurts you - it's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” - S. Clemens
StanLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:11 AM   #97

Yes a goose neck hitch is always installed with chains because it is illegal to use without chains that's why installers always add chains to a traditional goose neck hitch
Old 09-07-2017, 08:59 AM   #98

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA, pulled w/ 2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins 4x4 SRW LWB
I thought there was a question about whether the Andersen Ultimate hitch required chains. Perhaps I misunderstood a previous post. Since the Ultimate uses a 2 5/16 ball type hitch in the bed (though somewhat elevated), it requires safety chains under most state laws.
SWCO is offline   Reply With Quote