When at campsites - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2017, 05:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0TA 2016 Spirit Bear
When at campsites

When camping are there any organic recycling containers or just the usual cans/paper?

Old 11-13-2017, 05:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by a 2010 Highlander Anderson hitch,
Depends

Depends on the campground and the managing agencies commitment to recycling. And to the services provided by their sanitation contractor. Some places are pretty much full
service with separation barrels for about everything including a dumping spot for
Expired propane one pounders, helium cylinders from birthday parties etc. Other places just
throw it all in one overflowing lidless raccoon dwelling er I mean dumpster. Michigan state parks can be a skunk o rama.
Dave

Old 11-13-2017, 06:30 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
What entitles one to have an organic recycling container? I have not heard of the term before.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
What entitles one to have an organic recycling container? I have not heard of the term before.
Always something new to learn...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Organic Fire Wood.jpg (241.4 KB, 12 views)
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:01 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
You don't have compost bins? We have them at home for any organic waste, both the type in our back yard as well as one the city picks up (where you can put any organics at all from plate scraps to dog poo), though have not seen anything at campgrounds, but it would be a good idea.

I saw lots of campgrounds in the US in the past without recycling bins either, but I think they are becoming more common.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
I agree that it's hit and miss. We've camped in several places that have a compost bin, but the vast majority are just a dumpster containing everything.

If I ran a campground I would certainly have an organic waste bin and encourage the campers to use it. Compost sure comes in handy.

It also reminds me that we try to not use disposable plastic when we camp. We either use plates, cups, etc that we can wash and reuse, or we will sometimes use paper products. Imagine how much landfill space could be saved if most folks opted for biodegradables.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:22 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
The term doesn't really make sense, because what is put into it is not recycled, in the way that metal, paper, and plastic materials are broken down and used in another cycle of products. Organic waste containers are used to collect organic material (which means primarily food waste and soiled paper) for composting; this keeps material out of landfills, and the resulting material is fertilizer.

Edmonton runs a large mechanical composting facility which takes a substantial fraction of the city's waste material, and other municipalities use more traditional composting methods - like a home compost pile, but on an industrial scale.

Between recycling and composting, only a tiny fraction of my home waste goes to a landfill. It is disappointing to be unable to do that while travelling. Most municipalities send more to landfill than here, and even where there are recycling and organic waste composting for residential customers, institutional customers (businesses, apartment buildings... and campgrounds) often must make their own arrangements and usually just have everything hauled to a landfill.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:27 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
It also reminds me that we try to not use disposable plastic when we camp. We either use plates, cups, etc that we can wash and reuse, or we will sometimes use paper products. Imagine how much landfill space could be saved if most folks opted for biodegradables.
We are on the same page. It is so easy to wash up good dishes when doing other dishes. So much better to use, and no waste.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:44 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Good grief and I thought that we were the cowboys out here on the edge of civilization. We not only recycle organic waste but "clean green". Up till we got our new dedicated organic carts a few weeks ago we had two separate bins for the two categories. Didn't make much sense then since the same garbage truck collected both.

What's disappointing is that there's still nothing approaching 100% buy-in in the neighborhood. Some folks don't ever seem to put out any organics, just their regular garbage dumpster. Oh well, these things take time.

The campsites that I've seen that are more likely to have full recycling are municipally run ones.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:53 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Okay, yes I have compost where I use my grass/leaves mixed with food waste. I have a regular container next to the sink, empty about every 3 days. I make about 6 cu/yd of compost/year. The missus would go out and buy top soil and we were throwing away yard waste. So with 4 large compost bins, we make our own dirt. We use raised gardens due to the ground around the house bing poisoned from termite treatment 10 years ago, so our gardens are small but healthy. That said, I have never seen grey tank waste receptacles at any cg, lucky to find can/glass recycling out side of home.