Where to fill up propane tanks when picking up new Escape? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2016, 06:02 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I recently purchased tow tanks with float gauges, but only because the two tanks I alternate with the "home" grill had been recertified 4 or 5 years ago and were only getting older. So the gauged tanks went into the Escape, and the tanks which came with the Escape were relegated to fueling the grill on the back deck.
Do you have natural gas for anything in Florida?

Here that is the primary source of heat for most homes. We just run a line out for the BBQ, with no worries of ever running out.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:16 PM   #42
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
If it relieves stress and you can afford more stuff, go for it.
Of course, that hand held device would only increase my stress as I search the trailer, trying to figure out where I put it. Probably with the remote control.
There' so flippin' much storage in Ten Forward compared to my 16' Scamp... it took me THREE days to figure out where I put the Kleenex. True story.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:51 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
There' so flippin' much storage in Ten Forward compared to my 16' Scamp... it took me THREE days to figure out where I put the Kleenex. True story.
Snot funny!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-24-2016, 07:32 PM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

Here that is the primary source of heat for most homes. We just run a line out for the BBQ, with no worries of ever running out.
We're you on forum sabbatical or camping? Florida Gas supplies a lot of population; here in CA we are seeing a lot of retrofitting of new gas lines post San Bruno. Love the natural gas connection to BBQ too
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:37 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
We're you on forum sabbatical or camping? Florida Gas supplies a lot of population; here in CA we are seeing a lot of retrofitting of new gas lines post San Bruno. Love the natural gas connection to BBQ too
I did a double header music festival starting in the trailer, plus some restful camping for the last couple weeks. Either having fun, or without connectivity.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2016, 12:19 AM   #46

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19'
Filling tanks at Costco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
I totally agree with getting ETI to fill your tanks on pickup. If, however, you are passing through the Sumas area at a later date and need a refill or to top up the tanks, the Costco just before the Sumas border crossing offers an unbelievable deal on propane. The 20 lb tanks cost $10 to fill, vs $25-27 elsewhere in the Fraser Valley. They also charge only for the amount added, not a full tank price regardless. (Petro-Canada bills for a full tank). The propane filling station is at the large red awning near the auto service centre. This Costco is the only one in the Vancouver area offering propane.

Bob K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For those on their way to the Sumas border anyway, it's a very good deal to stop at Costco to fill the tanks. Also, the service is quick, efficient and very friendly at this location.
katzam29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:49 AM   #47

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

There are locations in Florida where natural gas is prevalent. Where I live is not one of them. I am in the northeast corner of Pasco County. The part of the county is designated as a rural zone with acreage requirements for building. Most of the area is on wells and septic tank, with no cable TV available, and the phone company is only now getting around to replacing 1949 installed (I have been told by a phone company employee) copper lines with fiber optics. We have a hybrid kitchen range (gas cooktop, electric oven). I have a 100 gallon propane tank buried in the sand which supplies the range and a Berkshire Lopi stove (looks like a wood burning appliance). Don't use that much except around Christmas time for the ambiance; it raises the inside temperature too much. I have a OD hookup for the grill, but don't use it. I can get the small tanks filled for a lower cost per gallon than to get the delivery truck to fill the large tank. In the almost thirteen years I have been in this house, I have seen freezing temperatures only one time when, according to my digital thermometer, the temperature dropped to 31.6 degrees F (maybe - .1 C) for a couple of hours before sunrise. What heat is required is supplied by a heat pump. It runs once in a while, but I have seen it remain idle for weeks at a time in January and February. Heat gain during daylight hours is adequate to keep the house warm enough all night long. But due to the rural nature of the area, propane is the only choice. Yet natural gas is prevalent 15 miles away in small cities east and west of me, and in the Tampa area 35 miles to my south. The population density here comes into play when the various service providers set their priorities for expansion.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:51 AM   #48

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzam29 View Post
For those on their way to the Sumas border anyway, it's a very good deal to stop at Costco to fill the tanks. Also, the service is quick, efficient and very friendly at this location.
Do you have to be a member?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:26 AM   #49

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Unfortunately, yes. But US memberships are valid in Canada.

Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:54 PM   #50

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19'
Costco membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
Unfortunately, yes. But US memberships are valid in Canada.

Your Costco membership is valid at any location in the world.
katzam29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:46 PM   #51

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Propane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
This kind of thread makes my hair start on fire. Ten Forward is now a Toddler... almost 26 months old. I still have both ETI propane tanks with enough propane to cook a steak dinner (inside!)

Stop worrying about the "stuff." If after your orientation and initial campout to check the systems.... GO, just go. Propane is available lots of places. You just spent $$$ on your custom ETI build. At this point saving (x) on propane because you buy from one place vs another going to change your pleasure? REALLY?

Propane usage isn't a big deal for ME. I'm a typical NW camper. Always hooked up and I KNOW where I can get propane if needed. $40 to fill a tank or $10 to fill the same tank is minor compared to sitting at home on the couch. Make MEMORIES!

YMMV
Donna
We're with you. If I'm headed out for a couple weeks I like to have full tanks, especially early or late in the season where I might run the furnace. However, it matters not where I stop for propane, just buy it, make a friend of the person filling the tank and head on down the road. When I used to hunt with my Dad we always used premium shotshells. His theory, you can't afford not to shoot the best, it's a very small part of the overall cost . Propane seems the same
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:52 PM   #52

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
After a full year of driving two kilometers out of my way to buy gas at a Husky so I could get BCAA points, I saved $12 on my BCAA membership. Figure I was making about four cents an hour for the time involved.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:56 PM   #53

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Glenn your little detour probably cost you more then $12 worth of fuel over the year [emoji6]
Cheers
Doug
Old 08-25-2016, 09:04 PM   #54

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Wasn't going to mention that.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:13 AM   #55

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
If the average going price for propane is $40, and I want or need propane, I will gladly pay the price. On the other hand, if the average going price is $15 and some merchant is charging $40, unless it is a drastic or justifiable situation, I'm not going to pay $40. And it's not because I couldn't afford it; it's for all those others who couldn't afford it. I will not encourage price gouging. As I see it, doing so sends a message that price gouging is an acceptable behavior. But I personally wouldn't drive more than a mile or two to the other side of town because Joe Blow fills tanks for $15, and the nearby dealer charges $16.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:56 AM   #56

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Sometimes the "Price by tank, not gallons" propane dealers can still work out. A nearby farm market fills 20 lb tanks for $8.00. I took two, one that only needed topping off. They gave me $4.00 back since the partial tank only took 2.2 gallons. Not bad since I've paid as much as $4.50 per gallon on the road.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:46 AM   #57

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Propane

Yesterday I ran out of propane on my tank that was on the gas grill. I installed my spare and after lunch went to town for a refill. The empty tank looked fine however, the hardware store guy pointed out it was 20 years old. It had the round valve handle ( not triangular) and no overfill protection device. It could not be recertified. I took it to an Amerigas propane dealer. He exchanged it for an 09 tank, 20 lbs full, for $21.34. I'm good to go for 5 more years and can refill anywhere now. Happy Camper. I keep a couple other spares along with mower and outboard gas and tractor diesel in a garage well away from the house.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:52 AM   #58
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
We've done similar Dave when the tank couldn't be refilled due to the stamp. But, for newer tanks, I can't see paying the high cost of an exchange tank that's in worse condition than my empty, especially when there are lots of propane dealers.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2016, 09:03 AM   #59

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Where to fill up propane tanks when picking up new Escape?

Good advice from all. If you don't use much propane, why stress over a few bucks. If you do go through a fair bit it might be interesting to do the math. This is more for Escapers living in the Fraser Valley: I calculated my savings on taking my Escape's typical post trip 1 empty, 1 half full, plus an empty BBQ tank to the Sumas Costco as $42. Even though I have to drive 48 miles return, if I have other cause to go there (visiting friends, son or mother-in-law), the difference in fuel for driving the truck vs car is only $5. It puts $37 in my pocket and a smile on my face. If we need something from Costco, it makes the trip even more worthwhile. For people passing through or living near Abbotsford/Sumas they have to do their own math.

Bob K

Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:08 AM   #60

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
This post is similar to Bob's (#59 above) and may be more beneficial to those in the Lower Mainland. But this is what we've been doing on trip back into the Lower Mainland after driving down the Coq.

We refuel the tug and top up on propane in Chilliwack at Otter Coop (Progress Way, Chilliwack | Co-op). Otter Coop is just around the corner from Escape. It is one of the easiest places to get in and out of and has propane. It may not be as cheap as Costco but, imo, is an easy location to get to. Close to ETI, close to the FREE Chilliwack municipal sani-dump. As added bonus on the way to the Otter Coop you drive by MOOYAH, Burgers, Fries & Shakes https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restauran..._Columbia.html We had a great burger and milk shake there.

All these places are literally moments from ETI.

Otter Coop will sell to anyone you don't have to be a member. But for $10.00 you pay for a lifetime membership and apparently can get a cheque each year based on your purchases - kind of point method.

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote