Where to fill up propane tanks when picking up new Escape? - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2016, 08:46 PM   #51

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Propane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
This kind of thread makes my hair start on fire. Ten Forward is now a Toddler... almost 26 months old. I still have both ETI propane tanks with enough propane to cook a steak dinner (inside!)

Stop worrying about the "stuff." If after your orientation and initial campout to check the systems.... GO, just go. Propane is available lots of places. You just spent $$$ on your custom ETI build. At this point saving (x) on propane because you buy from one place vs another going to change your pleasure? REALLY?

Propane usage isn't a big deal for ME. I'm a typical NW camper. Always hooked up and I KNOW where I can get propane if needed. $40 to fill a tank or $10 to fill the same tank is minor compared to sitting at home on the couch. Make MEMORIES!

YMMV
Donna
We're with you. If I'm headed out for a couple weeks I like to have full tanks, especially early or late in the season where I might run the furnace. However, it matters not where I stop for propane, just buy it, make a friend of the person filling the tank and head on down the road. When I used to hunt with my Dad we always used premium shotshells. His theory, you can't afford not to shoot the best, it's a very small part of the overall cost . Propane seems the same
Dave

Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:52 PM   #52

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
After a full year of driving two kilometers out of my way to buy gas at a Husky so I could get BCAA points, I saved $12 on my BCAA membership. Figure I was making about four cents an hour for the time involved.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:56 PM   #53

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Glenn your little detour probably cost you more then $12 worth of fuel over the year
Cheers
Doug
PGDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:04 PM   #54

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Wasn't going to mention that.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 05:13 AM   #55

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
If the average going price for propane is $40, and I want or need propane, I will gladly pay the price. On the other hand, if the average going price is $15 and some merchant is charging $40, unless it is a drastic or justifiable situation, I'm not going to pay $40. And it's not because I couldn't afford it; it's for all those others who couldn't afford it. I will not encourage price gouging. As I see it, doing so sends a message that price gouging is an acceptable behavior. But I personally wouldn't drive more than a mile or two to the other side of town because Joe Blow fills tanks for $15, and the nearby dealer charges $16.
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:56 AM   #56

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B, 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21 pick up August, 2017
Sometimes the "Price by tank, not gallons" propane dealers can still work out. A nearby farm market fills 20 lb tanks for $8.00. I took two, one that only needed topping off. They gave me $4.00 back since the partial tank only took 2.2 gallons. Not bad since I've paid as much as $4.50 per gallon on the road.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:46 AM   #57

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Propane

Yesterday I ran out of propane on my tank that was on the gas grill. I installed my spare and after lunch went to town for a refill. The empty tank looked fine however, the hardware store guy pointed out it was 20 years old. It had the round valve handle ( not triangular) and no overfill protection device. It could not be recertified. I took it to an Amerigas propane dealer. He exchanged it for an 09 tank, 20 lbs full, for $21.34. I'm good to go for 5 more years and can refill anywhere now. Happy Camper. I keep a couple other spares along with mower and outboard gas and tractor diesel in a garage well away from the house.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:52 AM   #58

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
We've done similar Dave when the tank couldn't be refilled due to the stamp. But, for newer tanks, I can't see paying the high cost of an exchange tank that's in worse condition than my empty, especially when there are lots of propane dealers.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2016, 09:03 AM   #59

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Where to fill up propane tanks when picking up new Escape?

Good advice from all. If you don't use much propane, why stress over a few bucks. If you do go through a fair bit it might be interesting to do the math. This is more for Escapers living in the Fraser Valley: I calculated my savings on taking my Escape's typical post trip 1 empty, 1 half full, plus an empty BBQ tank to the Sumas Costco as $42. Even though I have to drive 48 miles return, if I have other cause to go there (visiting friends, son or mother-in-law), the difference in fuel for driving the truck vs car is only $5. It puts $37 in my pocket and a smile on my face. If we need something from Costco, it makes the trip even more worthwhile. For people passing through or living near Abbotsford/Sumas they have to do their own math.

Bob K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:08 AM   #60

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
This post is similar to Bob's (#59 above) and may be more beneficial to those in the Lower Mainland. But this is what we've been doing on trip back into the Lower Mainland after driving down the Coq.

We refuel the tug and top up on propane in Chilliwack at Otter Coop (Progress Way, Chilliwack | Co-op). Otter Coop is just around the corner from Escape. It is one of the easiest places to get in and out of and has propane. It may not be as cheap as Costco but, imo, is an easy location to get to. Close to ETI, close to the FREE Chilliwack municipal sani-dump. As added bonus on the way to the Otter Coop you drive by MOOYAH, Burgers, Fries & Shakes https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restauran..._Columbia.html We had a great burger and milk shake there.

All these places are literally moments from ETI.

Otter Coop will sell to anyone you don't have to be a member. But for $10.00 you pay for a lifetime membership and apparently can get a cheque each year based on your purchases - kind of point method.

Larry

LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote