Where to fill up propane tanks when picking up new Escape? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2016, 08:12 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Where to fill up propane tanks when picking up new Escape?

We are picking up our new 21' Escape TT in January. Do folks normally pay Escape to fill the propane tanks or do they do it later? Just wondering how the Escape Community rolls?

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:18 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
They gave me two filled tanks when I rolled out. Don't recall if I paid extra for that.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:21 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I had ETI take care of the tanks. I wanted to check all the systems before I got to far from the factory. Didn't want to worry about "where do I find propane"? When I knew I'd already be tired and (probably) stressed. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:34 AM   #4

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
They will fill the tanks for a low set cost. I don't recall the price, but it was well worth it for the convenience .

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:41 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
If you order the Starter Kit as an option from ETI, that includes filling the two propane tanks.

Quote:
Starter Kit (Starter kit with Tandem Chocks. Includes: 4 Rolls RV Toilet Tissue, 1 ltr Toilet Chemical, 10 prs of Lg Latex Gloves, 25’ Water Hose, City Water Pressure Regulator, 2 Tandem Chocks, Propane Tanks Purged & Filled, Hitch Lock), $190.00

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:25 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
ETI charges more than I can get tanks filled for where I live, based on the US to CDN equivalent. Still, I paid them to provide two filled tanks for the convenience. I quote the same reason as Donna.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:33 AM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Just have Escape prefill them. You'll have alot on your mind and that's one less thing. As you meander your way back South, if you need a refill, I recommend a propane dealer. They're usually much cheaper than the big box stores or the U-Hauls.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2016, 09:37 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Where to fill up propane tanks when picking up new Escape?

I totally agree with getting ETI to fill your tanks on pickup. If, however, you are passing through the Sumas area at a later date and need a refill or to top up the tanks, the Costco just before the Sumas border crossing offers an unbelievable deal on propane. The 20 lb tanks cost $10 to fill, vs $25-27 elsewhere in the Fraser Valley. They also charge only for the amount added, not a full tank price regardless. (Petro-Canada bills for a full tank). The propane filling station is at the large red awning near the auto service centre. This Costco is the only one in the Vancouver area offering propane.

Bob K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:38 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
ETI charges more than I can get tanks filled for where I live, based on the US to CDN equivalent. Still, I paid them to provide two filled tanks for the convenience. I quote the same reason as Donna.
Hi: C&G in FL... We also let ETI do the first fill!!!
The Flying J near your place charged $23. USD for two 20# ers . Here at home Dowler Karn Propane, Fuels,& Lubricants charged me $12.39 + tx = $14. each CAD. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:44 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
OK, thanks everyone. I will follow the lead and get the tanks filled at ETI.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:50 AM   #11

Trailer: April 2016 Escape 19
Send a message via Skype™ to redtaco99
I think you'll save about$40 by getting your propane tanks filled at costco
Back in May I went to ETI a day before my new trailer pickup and retrieved the propane tanks from them. The tanks already had stickers on them to indicate they were purged and good to go. I drove down the highway about 30 Km to Abbotsford Costco and paid $21 Cdn to fill them.
redtaco99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:59 AM   #12

Trailer: 2019 F150 eco boost with 2017 5.0 TA in tow
Brand new tanks need to be filled and purged several times in order to get the full tank. Most places will not do the first filling. We have to take new tanks to a propane storage facility to have them filled the first time and that normally means we have to leave the tanks and pick them later. That would be a real pain if you headed home.
RicVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:02 AM   #13

Trailer: 2019 F150 eco boost with 2017 5.0 TA in tow
That answers the question about purging the tanks. Did not know had them done.
RicVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:06 AM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: C&G in FL... We also let ETI do the first fill!!!
The Flying J near your place charged $23. USD for two 20# ers . Here at home Dowler Karn Propane, Fuels,& Lubricants charged me $12.39 + tx = $14. each CAD. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Didn't realize that Flying J was so expensive. I get them filled at a tractor dealership which charges $16, including tax.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:13 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicVic View Post
Brand new tanks need to be filled and purged several times in order to get the full tank. Most places will not do the first filling. We have to take new tanks to a propane storage facility to have them filled the first time and that normally means we have to leave the tanks and pick them later. That would be a real pain if you headed home.
Any reputable propane dealer will purge and fill new tanks. If the place you choose won't do a new tank purge, in my opinion it's time to find another supplier. Besides, the propane dealers are much less expensive. Propane is what they do.

They're also not that hard to find - they're in most towns.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2016, 10:18 AM   #16

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I thought tanks came pre purged these days, the last couple 20lb'ers I bought were.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:41 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I thought tanks came pre purged these days, the last couple 20lb'ers I bought were.
The ones we got from ETI in 2010 had pre-purged labels on them too. One I bought recently at Menards was also.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:41 AM   #18

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
My biggest reservation about having ETI fill the tanks is the tanks they provide. I want tanks with built in floats. You already know exactly how much you have left. I can get them at Costco or Sam's. Maybe I'll bring them me.
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:51 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Someone closer to a Camping World location can probably chime in better, but don't I recall CW offers $.99 propane during the camping season? It might be for Good Sam members only but it's worth checking out. There's a big CW in Burlington and, if you're heading east, another in Spokane.

We have a local RV dealer that does the same, from the US Memorial Day through Labor Day. We're spoiled. Filled both my tanks for under $10 last week.

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:43 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
While newly manufactured propane tanks do need to be purged of air before their first use, and many refilling locations (not specialty propane businesses) might not purge them, this is no longer a concern as the tanks (apparently including those from Escape) come from the factory ready to go; they're "vacuum purged".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
My biggest reservation about having ETI fill the tanks is the tanks they provide. I want tanks with built in floats. You already know exactly how much you have left. I can get them at Costco or Sam's. Maybe I'll bring them me.
Just for clarity... they all have floats now, to run the Overfill Prevention Device (OPD); what you need are tanks equipped to use that same float to run a gauge.

Since you can get gauge-equipped tanks at all major retailers of propane tanks, you can get them anywhere, presumably including in the Chilliwack area. I've seen them at Canadian Tire, Walmart, and Costco... but sometimes Costco only has tanks without the gauge. I'm sure they're cheaper in any major U.S. city than anywhere in Canada, but if you're short of space in the tug with all your trailer stuff in it for the pickup trip, you don't need to squeeze in two five-gallon tanks. Maybe this isn't a concern, with a pickup truck.

I think Escape's base pricing includes the propane tanks, but not the propane. If you have the space to carry extra tanks, you could bring tanks with level gauges, get only those ones filled, and safely carry the empty tanks (that come on the trailer) with you as spares.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote