Whether to get the inverter and transfer switch - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2017, 05:33 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I have dual 6V batteries, the 1500W inverter, and 355W of solar panels on my trailer. I bought a 700W microwave to use in the trailer. When boondocking I can use the microwave about once a day for 6-8 minutes; my battery monitor shows it lowering the battery level up to ten percent. If the batteries are over 90% when I start it works fine, if they are charged less than that when I start the inverter complains "beeeeeeeep" but finishes the job. I don't attempt to use the microwave if the batteries are at 80% or below.
Mike, we have the same batteries and inverter. Last year when headed to Osoyoos and while dry camping, we were getting the inverter beeeep after just a few seconds of microwave, when previously we had never heard it even after several minutes. Mentioned it to Reace, and he found a slightly loose battery cable connection. When he crimped it back to a firm connection, no more inverter beep. Had to do that re-crimping again this year, with Iowa Dave as advisor. Again fixed the inverter sound.
I need to find and read the inverter manual to see just exactly what that beep is indicating. Somehow we didn't get one. Thanks for the reminder.
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:57 AM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Bill, the buzzer indicates a voltage drop. If the cables were loose that could have caused it.

Here's a link to the manual, if yours is the Samlex Pure Sine Wave like ours.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...ebRX5ZBSIP2SPA

By the way, there is an excellent section in this manual describing battery banks connected either in series or in parallel. Was surprised that was in there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2017, 06:46 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Yo Jim- you bring up a great point that people frame their opinions on the lens they are currently using and want to confirm their own choices. I remember well the thread from a few years ago that greatly defended 12V only being necessary. Times they are a changin'

During out current three week tour up to Crescent City then over to Ashland then up and over to Coos Bay and down again we haven't heard one generator runningH Hopefully more people are realizing what solar and inverters can do.
An inverter bigger than 200W, set up for a TV, and an oven. All things I was glad to do without a short while ago. Since then discovered that I was not alone in making decision regarding the trailer. I blame my wife. Yeah, it is all her fault.

I heard a few gensets when we were out after the Escape Rally, though they were not real noisy, were run during the allowed morning and early evening 2 hr limits, and the campsites were large and treed. Once solar really takes root with some of these folks, many who have been used to a genset for many years, it will become even quieter out there, and I like that idea.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:48 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Thanks for that Robert. That's the one.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:49 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Throwing this out there, but wouldn't a set of lithium batteries help Mike or someone like Mike, get more run time for the microwave? Less voltage sag?
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:51 PM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Throwing this out there, but wouldn't a set of lithium batteries help Mike or someone like Mike, get more run time for the microwave? Less voltage sag?
Perhaps there would be less of a dip, but you're still using the same amount of stored energy. I think the key if you want to use things like microwaves when boondocking is more solar generation, and more bank to store it in. Personally, I would completely forego the microwave if boondocking. Easier to cook on the fire and enjoy roughing it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2017, 02:25 PM   #27

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Yes, the voltage during discharge would be more stable - that's an interesting reason to consider lithium. Another advantage would be that typical lithium batteries (there are many variations) are claimed to charge (and presumably discharge) more efficiently than lead-acid batteries. For the same energy input from the solar system, lithium batteries would store more energy, then deliver more energy to the loads (microwave or anything else). I haven't seen good values for the efficiency of either type of battery.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote