Whether to get the inverter and transfer switch - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2017, 07:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Whether to get the inverter and transfer switch

Hey folks,

I need to get my build sheet to completion very soon and I can't decide whether or not to get the Inverter or the Inverter and transfer switch, or neither and add them later. I do understand that if I get the package with the transfer switch, all outlets will be available from the inverter, though stark limitations on what you can run. If no transfer switch, I get only one outlet available off the inverter. Is either of these options a "should have"? I will most likely use the trailer with and without hookups.

I'm counting on the water pump and interior camper lights being DC. Is that correct?

At present, I'm getting the single solar panel and the dual 6's.
Trailer is a 19'.

If there's already a good thread on the inverter vs no inverter subject, please let me know.

Thanks,

John

Old 05-26-2017, 07:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
John, ask yourself some basic questions, and that will help. Do you plan on needing AC power when boondocking? That's really the purpose of the inverter. If you can do without that and just use 12 volt appliances, or if you plan to camp mostly where there are hookups, the inverter isn't necessary. We do have a few things that use 120V AC power, and we do boondock on occasion, so the inverter is nice to have. But even with that, we could probably live without it. The transfer switch just means that all the AC outlets would be provided power by the inverter, and not just one.

There are advantages to going all 12 volt power when you boondock. Not the least of which is that there's no inversion needed. Inverters are less efficient than direct DC power, and A.C. devices running on an inverter can drain batteries in a hurry. Of course, solar does help mitigate that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Old 05-26-2017, 09:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Ask Jennykatz- no way you can do it cheaper later hiring someone else. We use ours all the time for things you might not think of. Yeah, you can do it alternatively, however I like the term "once & done". Trust your instincts.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Good input, so thanks. I guess I'll add it and the transfer switch. Even if I decide on a different inverter later on, I guess it would be easy to swap out, and all the wiring would already be done.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorsenva View Post
Good input, so thanks. I guess I'll add it and the transfer switch. Even if I decide on a different inverter later on, I guess it would be easy to swap out, and all the wiring would already be done.
I doubt you'll want to get a different one later. 1500 watts is enough to power most any device that's appropriate for an RV, and the Samlex is a pure sine wave and good quality.

As for using the existing wiring if you want a different inverter later, that depends on the size. If I were going to go with a higher wattage model, I would also upgrade the wiring to it.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:29 AM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorsenva View Post
I'm counting on the water pump and interior camper lights being DC. Is that correct?
Yes. 12 V DC power runs
  • interior lights
  • exterior (porch and work) light(s)
  • water pump
  • fans in main roof vents
  • fan and controls of furnace
  • controls of refrigerator
  • cooling of refrigerator, in 12V DC mode
  • controls (only) of water heater
  • propane detector
  • {optional} power tongue jack

... which is almost everything built into the trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 08:31 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I chose not to get one, but have since decided to add one. All the parts cost over 2/3s of the Escape cost, plus now I have a bunch more work to do.

Wishing I had of had Escape install it now.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:24 AM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
I believe that Escape is currently installing a GoPower GP-ISW1500 inverter that is switched off & on by a button on the solar controller. At least that is what I was on a 2017 21...
Old 05-27-2017, 10:08 AM   #9

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
inverters

Yes go with the Inverter from Escape and have Escape put in an extra plug by the microwave .Thats about the only plugs you will need one by the kitchen and one by the microwave That's what we did .You are not saving that much money doing it yourself .Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:47 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape born Dec 28, 2016, Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I believe that Escape is currently installing a GoPower GP-ISW1500 inverter that is switched off & on by a button on the solar controller. At least that is what I was on a 2017 21...
In our 2017 21' the all plug inverter is turned on and off by a button right on the solar controller.

I dont remember the brand, but i think Jon is correct (as usual)

we LOVE where the button is located, as it is so easy (with a cute little plug icon that appears on the LED display when all plug inverter is on) - as the button is away from kids naughty fingers!

We are glad we did the all plug + inverter.... being in the middle of nowhere and firing up the big blender to make healthy and refreshing all fruit and vegetable smoothies is awesome. Plus it makes running a laptop all day soooo easy.

It was a cost, but for us, who sometimes do work while traveling... it is great.

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote