Which is more fuel efficient, driving with a pickup's tailgate up or down? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2014, 07:38 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
I wish that all car makers would learn from the hybrid manufacturers.
When you stop at a light, the engine shuts off.
Although that's an easy feature to include in a hybrid and obviously valuable so they all do it, a non-hybrid can do it as well (although the air conditioning likely stops if you don't have a hybrid). Idle stop capability has become common in Europe (from most if not all manufacturers), but the same models here don't have it; it saves fuel, but can be annoying in a non-hybrid, so in this market it isn't considered so desirable.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:46 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
It's already in some American cars -- and not just hybrids. They've also taken care of some of the concerns such as the A/C stopping when the engine stops, by using an auxiliary battery in the trunk, and using a beefed up starter so the restart is quicker and less noticeable. In the 2014 Malibu the start/stop technology is standard equipment. BUT, you have the option to turn it on or off if you don't like it. Chevy estimates this feature saves about 5% in fuel for the average driver.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:58 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape
Based on the Consumer's article...20 gallons a year would pale in cost compared to the $ for the daily expresso. I get 22-23 mph highway and 16-17 towing my 19 with a tonneau on my 2014 Silverado. I can live with that.
lefttee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:44 AM   #24

Thats some pretty good gas mileage for a rather large trailer. What speed are you driving to get this MPG? Is the Silverado diesel?
routlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:33 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape
We recently went 1700 miles to and from Glacier and overall averaged 16.7 mpg. I usually drive 60-65 mph and use regular gas. The 19 is on the light side of what the Silverado can handle. Even Dunraven pass in Yellowstone was a breeze. Unless someone was full timing, I can't imagine 1-2 mpg either way really amounts to much.
lefttee is offline   Reply With Quote