Which Portable Solar Port should I have hardwired by ETI - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2017, 08:56 PM   #21

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moaboy View Post
Or u could just plug it in via a 7 pin adapter made by Go Power. Mine works well. One less hole in the rv.

What are you using as an extension cord to get the panel into the sun when you’re parked in the shade?
Old 11-25-2017, 09:34 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
What are you using as an extension cord to get the panel into the sun when you’re parked in the shade?
Go Power makes extension cords. U get a shorter one with ur panel, then I bought an additional longer one. I can link them together if need be. When possible, I like to park my trailer in the shade, then I can extend my panel and "chase the sun."

Plugging into the 7 pin gives one a very heavy duty and secure connection.
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:29 AM   #23

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
I use a homemade 40 foot cord - made from 8ga speaker wire, very flexible silicone insulation. On the trailer end I installed Anderson Powerpole 50 amp fittings - not for their high amp rating but because they were easier to grip than the smaller fittings.

I have found over the years that I don't need the portable panel for shorter trips even when I'm camped in the shade - except in late fall/early spring when the furnace is in high demand. But I'm a light user of battery power in general.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:57 PM   #24

Trailer: 2020 25' Flying Cloud Airstream with three 90-watt Zamp Solar roof panels and 140-watt ZS Portable
Zamp Solar ports are put on 40% of all new trailer construction in North America. The single Solar port comes in two different wire gauges 10 and 12. I would locate the port near the battery vent. The black plastic and cap are UV rated for 15 years. Roof ports are usually 3 ports combined in one unit and that allows for expansion from 1-3 roof panels without rewiring to the Charge Controller each time.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:55 PM   #25

Trailer: 2020 25' Flying Cloud Airstream with three 90-watt Zamp Solar roof panels and 140-watt ZS Portable
Are MC4 connectors UV rated for the sun? If not, they will fall apart after a couple of years.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:56 PM   #26

Is your extension cord UV rated for the sun?
Old 06-13-2018, 12:57 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Both of mine cracked and came apart within a year here in AZ, so don't seem to be a good roof application. AM solar cuts them off and crimps for the roof connection.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:14 PM   #28

Cool Zamp Solar 3 Port Solar for Roof Connections

Has anyone asked ETI to install a ZS-CB-3-Port made by Zamp Solar for their roof installation of solar? It gives you two extra ports already wired to the Charge Controller for solar panel expansion on the roof. It comes with the Zamp Solar Deluxe Kits for either 100 Watts or 160 Watts on each panel or can be ordered by itself.
The roof port costs approximately $200 plus shipping from an Authorized Zamp Solar dealer and it makes adding panel number two and three plug and play. Just make sure you have the correct sized Charge Controller (for example 30 Amp).
Old 06-13-2018, 01:51 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBA80 View Post
Has anyone asked ETI to install a ZS-CB-3-Port made by Zamp Solar for their roof installation of solar? It gives you two extra ports already wired to the Charge Controller for solar panel expansion on the roof. It comes with the Zamp Solar Deluxe Kits for either 100 Watts or 160 Watts on each panel or can be ordered by itself.
The roof port costs approximately $200 plus shipping from an Authorized Zamp Solar dealer and it makes adding panel number two and three plug and play. Just make sure you have the correct sized Charge Controller (for example 30 Amp).
ETI has been asked to use other vendors for solar in the past and the answer was no. They recommend and install the Go Power GP-CEP cable entry port or they run the solar cables through the fridge vent.

Oh, and the Go Power GP-CEP cable entry port is about $29.
Attached Thumbnails
Go Power GP-CEP Cable Entry.jpg  
Old 06-13-2018, 09:42 PM   #30

So this handles on two panels?
Old 06-13-2018, 09:47 PM   #31

Zamp Solar installers also run wiring through the Refrigerator vent stack. The Charge Controller is mounted near the TV cable connection at eye level. Simple clean installation of Charge Controller to Solar Panels. The 3 port makes it easy not to run multiple lines from the roof. Panels connect to the roof port. Adding panels 2 and 3 are very easy and not large wiring jobs.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:13 PM   #32

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Zamp Solar installers also run wiring through the Refrigerator vent stack. The Charge Controller is mounted near the TV cable connection at eye level. Simple clean installation of Charge Controller to Solar Panels. The 3 port makes it easy not to run multiple lines from the roof. Panels connect to the roof port. Adding panels 2 and 3 are very easy and not large wiring jobs.
I highly recommend you read “The RV Battery Charging Puzzle”, a blog written by Handymen Bob. It may give you ideas about wire gauge and controller location. AM solar uses a combiner box and heavy gauge wire from there to the controller. 10 gauge may be OK for one panel but not multiple panels. I personally don’t have any panels on our roof, but am mounting two panels on my truck canopy. I use a 40 foot 6 gauge cable for our portable panel. I have very little voltage drop. I will use the same cable for the truck canopy. I can park in the shade and have the panels in the sun.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:34 PM   #33

Yes, I fully understand why and there is a safety reason for their Solar port wiring. The Male prong is positive on the port and on the Zamp Solar panels the female connection is the positive connection. That prevents any grounding issues when connecting a Zamp Solar panel. If you want to connect someone else Solar Panel you will need the Polarity Adaptor to make it work. On a previous post, I showed a picture of the Polarity Adaptor.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:36 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
So this handles on two panels?
It handles as many as you want, as I mentioned just use an MC4 Y connector. I guess you have not looked back too far, but here is a link to my solar setup I did last year.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ion-10273.html
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:40 AM   #35

Cool Zamp Solar 15 Extension Cords

Attached are two images of 15 foot extensions from Zamp Solar. The first image showing an all black cord is the correct UV rated Portable Extension cord that plugs into the Zamp Solar port and is attached to the portable with an SAE connection.

The second 15 foot extension wire is made for solar battery maintainers and electrical trickle charges while your Escape is in storage.

Please contact me if you have any questions.
Attached Thumbnails
ZS-HE-15FT-N.jpg   BDC-EXT15.jpg