Which solar panel? - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2019, 12:19 PM   #81

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
When leaving Canadian convenience stores I noticed that the height scales on the door frames were in feet and inches, not metric, so I assumed all the thieves were Americans.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:11 PM   #82

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
So when I spend a week without hookups relying on my roof top solar and using the inverter with the microwave (sparingly) and the electric tea kettle each morning and TV each night and the furnace as needed, my Victron battery monitor is lying to me when it says my batteries are 70%-100% each afternoon? I should have just skipped the rooftop solar and I would be better off?

Except for the two weeks of failing batteries, our 170 watt panel has performed flawlessly. This includes camping multiple rainy days and/or heavy tree cover. We're approaching 140 nights since we purchased our 5.0 on October 26, 2018, and just left Bumblebee Campground (fully shaded) outside Kellogg, ID.

Enjoy

Perry
Perry Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:51 PM   #83

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Because of my physical condition after my fall we decided to leave our trailer out at our land. For the first time in many many years someone cut the lock on the gate, came in and busted the door window in my trailer, after trying to bust open the door lock, came in and still quite a few hundred dollars worth of stuff. My daughter's Trillium was out there and was broken into causing lots of damage and lots of stuff still in there. They also cut the metal lid on our storage box that houses our 3000w generator and stole it along with a few other things.
I'd better watch my language as the first thoughts that come to mind might get me booted from the forum. A real downer, I hope the lowlife gets what should be coming to him.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 05:01 PM   #84

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0TA
I will be in Olympic next week. I was simply trying to point out that outboard panels will give you much more power. PWM controllers haven't been used for ten years except by cheap installers (30% more power with an MPPT) I actually figured I was sharing some good info. Instead, I got attacked personally and professionally for the exact same information I published for the Casita owners who were appreciative and still use it today. I will ask Dave at Escape next week when I visit if he recommends running 80 amps through the 12v system as this would require a #2 wire and I doubt they use #2 in their 12v outlets.
My apologies for putting this in reply to you...........but I am kind of amazed. For your purposes, even a 50w panel will fit easily in your tow vehicle and, mounted outboard, will give you a nice little boost. I promise this is not "bad advice". I do suspect that most negative replies were by people that haven't been using solar for more than a couple of years or just boondog for a few weeks. Again, my apologies for venting to your reply.
algonquin50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 05:31 PM   #85

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by algonquin50 View Post
I will be in Olympic next week. I was simply trying to point out that outboard panels will give you much more power. PWM controllers haven't been used for ten years except by cheap installers (30% more power with an MPPT) I actually figured I was sharing some good info. Instead, I got attacked personally and professionally for the exact same information I published for the Casita owners who were appreciative and still use it today. I will ask Dave at Escape next week when I visit if he recommends running 80 amps through the 12v system as this would require a #2 wire and I doubt they use #2 in their 12v outlets.
My apologies for putting this in reply to you...........but I am kind of amazed. For your purposes, even a 50w panel will fit easily in your tow vehicle and, mounted outboard, will give you a nice little boost. I promise this is not "bad advice". I do suspect that most negative replies were by people that haven't been using solar for more than a couple of years or just boondog for a few weeks. Again, my apologies for venting to your reply.
Technically you may be correct but your post may have been better received if stated in a less confrontational and more polite & positive manner .
Escape’s solar system may not be perfect but for many including me it performs satisfactorily and fulfills our needs .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 05:39 PM   #86

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The problem in my view is that you overstated your position, using the word "useless" and asserting solar that people were using was of no value.
It never helps, in my experience, to start citing qualifications either. There will always be somebody out their with more qualifications.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:15 PM   #87

Trailer: 2018 19'
Jim Bennett, I am so sorry for the trials you are going through. As for roof top solar, I have been very pleased how effective my rooftop 160w solar performs even on cloudy days.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:32 PM   #88

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Technically you may be correct but your post may have been better received if stated in a less confrontational and more polite & positive manner .
Escape’s solar system may not be perfect but for many including me it performs satisfactorily and fulfills our needs .
Steve! I know your background and I am having difficulty believing that you think this guy is "technically correct".

Let me say this - there are people who don't have the backgrounds we do that would read this stuff and actually believe it. Please don't lend credibility to BS.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:42 PM   #89

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I will ask Dave at Escape next week when I visit if he recommends running 80 amps through the 12v system as this would require a #2 wire and I doubt they use #2 in their 12v outlets.
Who said anything about running 80 amps through a 12V outlet? Escape's optional built-in inverter has its own dedicated wiring to the batteries; the current to the inverter doesn't even go though the power centre (fuse panel), let alone an accessory outlet. Anyone who installs their own high-power inverter will have a similar configuration if they follow the inverter's installation instructions.

Since Dave is not an idiot, he will not endorse running 80 amps through a 15 amp accessory circuit. Since he is (like other ETI staff) a nice guy, he'll probably explain a proper installation to you.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 07:53 PM   #90

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Steve! I know your background and I am having difficulty believing that you think this guy is "technically correct".

Let me say this - there are people who don't have the backgrounds we do that would read this stuff and actually believe it. Please don't lend credibility to BS.
Technically ;
1) I agree that portable solar panels often out perform fixed solar panels
2) I agree that in certain instances the additional cost of an MPPT controller is warranted
3) I agree that certain types of solar panels work better than the solar panels sold at Harbor Freight

In my attempt to not be rude or condescending , I evidently failed , which is not my first nor will it be my last failure .
The people who frequent this forum are pretty smart at sorting out the self proclaimed experts and the accompanying BS !! IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:44 PM   #91

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Technically ;
1) I agree that portable solar panels often out perform fixed solar panels
2) I agree that in certain instances the additional cost of an MPPT controller is warranted
3) I agree that certain types of solar panels work better than the solar panels sold at Harbor Freight

In my attempt to not be rude or condescending , I evidently failed , which is not my first nor will it be my last failure .
The people who frequent this forum are pretty smart at sorting out the self proclaimed experts and the accompanying BS !! IMHO
Sorry, I just couldn't resist jabbing you a little - in the past, you would have been first in line after this guy.

Oh, and 30% more efficient than PWM, 80 amps on an accessory outlet, etc.....
It did make me laugh to read all his stuff.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:21 PM   #92

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0TA
I agree. I also think that it depends on useage. I tend to camp in wilderness areas for 4-6 weeks. I can charge bikes, run tv's, fans etc. without a panel for a long weekend as I have over 200 amps of batteries and my batteries are fully charged from TV when I arrive. Thanks for the advice. I was really just trying to help people get the most out of their systems. I do not think this is "bad advice" just wrong for this forum. Thanks!
algonquin50 is offline   Reply With Quote