Why choose a 5.0? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2009, 01:04 AM   #1

Why choose a 5.0?

This is more of a curiosity question for the folks who have or want to get an Escape 5.0 and please don’t interpret this as any type of criticism as I know the 5.0 is a very nice trailer that a lot of folks are really happy with.

My question is why choose a 5.0 over a 17 or 19’ model? I can think of many reasons why I would choose a 17 or 19’ model over a 5.0, but I can only think of a few advantages the 5.0 has over a 17 or 19’ trailer. Here are my top 10 reasons why to get a 17 or 19’ trailer vs. a 5.0 as I see it: Less expensive, greater flexibility in a tow vehicle (also do not have to sacrifice truck bed space), seems much more roomier / better layout, lighter weight, lower rough line, can sit up in bed comfortably / bed less Closter phobic, larger bathroom, larger dinette table, has a front window and lastly accessibility.

The only slight advantage that I see that the 5.0 has is its towing stability and increase maneuverability. And I say slightly because all three of these trailers are extremely light and small compared to most other trailers. All of the Escapes are easy to tow and easy to maneuver regardless of model.

What are your thoughts?
GoCougsKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:54 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Re: Why choose a 5.0?

IF I was willing to use a pickup truck and give up much needed storage and dog space, I would have likely gone to a 5.0. An SUV with the enclosed back fits my lifestyle much better and I did not want to have an extra vehicle.

For me there are two reasons I would prefer a 5.0. Firstly, the orientation of the bed so we don't have to crawl over each other to get out in the middle of the night (though that can be fun too ).

Secondly, towing is better as the hitch weight moves forward, giving a much better ride, and shortening your overall length. But that said, the 19 tows just great too.

Anyhoo, as you have pointed out, there are other good reasons to go with a 19 or 17, but the bottom line is, that you really can't go wrong with any Escape.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:48 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

I have an Escape 5th wheel in my future. I realize the 19 footer has a permanent bed in sorta a separate area. However, it's at the back of the trailer and the eating area is at the front. Where I camp, all the scenery is from the rear and the sides... because you back into a camping spot. When I sit down to a meal, I want to look at the beautiful scenery... not the back of my tug. I know what that looks like. I might consider the 19 footer if a trailer is built with these items reversed. It's certain a beautiful trailer, just the wrong layout for me. The 5th wheel has the layout I want. I believe the bathroom is the same size as the 19 footer too. Front to back sleeping as Jim mentioned is good too. A curtain would close the loft off from the rest of the trailer for those that wake/sleep at different times. I've been in a couple of Escape 5th wheels and do not find the loft claustrophobic at all. Windows and vent provide plenty of fresh air too. Granted you lose carrying space with a 5.0 and a truck. An extended cab truck would help with storage and somethings can be stored in the bed... just need to watch out for the hitch during turns. With all the storage in the 5.0, I don't think I'd really need to load up the tug more "stuff." There are bedside and "tailgate" storage boxes made for trucks used for towing 5th wheels. I'll be looking into those to lock up tools, etc. http://www.800toolbox.com/5thwheel/5thwheel.htm and http://www.pickuptrucktoolboxes.com/

YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:56 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: All...Aerodynamics(SST) shaped nose cone!!! Positive tow. Bed orientation, and rear "U" shaped dinette.We find it great for two tired, almost retired owners and it worked for taking our 30+ daughter for a weeks camping. Next buy will be a 4dr./5pass.pickup when we retire into only one vehicle. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:13 AM   #5

Coming from a 17' Casita, I'd have to say the primary reason we went with the 5.0 is room. Three feet of the 17' Casita is tongue...giving us 14' of living area (minus another 2 feet for the toilet/closet)...including the bed. Assuming they follow the same pattern, you get either 16 or 14 feet of living area with the 19' or 17' Escapes, and 19' of living area with the 5.0.

We will be giving up a lot of storage space with the 5.0, as we lose all the truck bed (currently covered by a capper). Some of it will be recovered by using the area around the hitch for plastic storage boxes, but I suspect the interior of the 5.0 will be filled with stuff which we'll unload when we stop. The plus side of the equation is not having to hassle with the WDH/sway bar.

Now, if they just made the 19er with a slide out and one of those auto-deploy DirecTV antennas :

Dave in Memphis
Old 12-24-2009, 07:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

"How do I love thee? Let me count the ways!"
Man of man, GoCougsKev, do you want to cause trouble!!! Just kiddin' It's a very good question, and one many a wannabe will ask many times I'm sure. So, it's good to go at it a little here.
Now I'm assuming your top 10 reasons, came after you had been inside both the 17/19 and a 5.0 (really just a 3.0, because it doesn't have dual rear wheels)? Now I must admit, I have NOT been in the 19. When we picked up Hokie, the 19 was forming, and not for viewing. So, much of my comparisons are because of my experience with a 17' Casita, measurements provided by Escape Trailers, and my very personal observations of our own 5.0. So, here goes:
1- Less expensive - can't argue there. Apparently the frame is a bit more complicated, and there's a lot more fiberglass (because? There's a lot more trailer) . Dave hit it on the head. While the 19 is 19.5 feet long (the exact same length as the 5.0), the measurement is from the front hitch of the 19 to the bumper, approximately 3 feet of which (give or take a few inches) is the hitch itself. The 19.5 feet of the 5.0 is from the top of Alf's hairy head to the back bumper, that is, it's all trailer.
2- Greater flexiblilty in a tow vehicle - yes, it's a pick up or nothing with a 5.0. While with the 17/19, it's anything from a '52 Chevy to ______! As long as it has enough horse power. Usable truck bed space is another negative for the 5.0. The use of aluminum bed boxes that Donna spoke of will solve some of that. We have a 4 door Frontier, so the back seat is available (if no grandkids are along for the ride) if needed. But, there's more storage space in the 5.0 than we've begun to use. The biggest problem are the lounge chairs and grill (larger bulky items). Both of those ride on the rear "bed/table" when we travel, or just inside the door (to be removed at the destination). But, if you carry more stuff, the backend of a truck (covered) or the rear end of a SUV will definitely carry more. As Jim said, "Determined by your lifestyle".
3- Roomier/Better Layout - That also is a "lifestyle" choice. We personally enjoy the separate bed loft. With a small curtain, it's more private, allowing someone to read/work at the dining table, while someone else rests. It's the perfect height for sitting up with pillows, and reading. To be fair, the same can be done with the 17/19. A little larger curtain, but you might be able to stand when you read : - ) Neither of us has ever felt claustrophobic in the bed loft, and might bride doesn't like tight space! Roomier? The 19 IS 4" wider than the 17 and 5.0. With the essential cabin space shorter (by about 3 feet), I can imagine how it would seem "roomier", however since the cabin is about 3 feet longer in the 5.0, I doubt "roomier" would hold up for the 19.
4- Lighter weight - Total Dry weight 17B - 2100#; for the 19 - 2510#; for the 5.0 - 2620. That makes the 5.0 110 lbs heavier than the 19, but considering the extra cabin space, not bad. One reason the 19 is as close in weight is the dual axles.
5- Lower rough line - I honestly don't know what that is, so I can't comment.
6- Can sit up in bed/less claustrophobic - already addressed that.
7- Larger bathroom - Looking at the dimensions given by Escape, it's impossible to say. I'm assuming the dimensions (according to the pictures) are actually all about the same. However, the extra 4" of width in the 19, could possibly translate into a wider bathroom? I'd imagine the length are all about the same, but I'd also imagine the 5.0 has a slightly higher ceiling in the bath, because of the sloping roof which rises to 7 feet at it's highest. Guess we could all measure and report back?? Or perhaps, Rease and Tammy could tell us. I can say for sure that the 5.0 is narrower than the 17 Casita we had, but deeper, and has more headroom, so it seems much roomier to us.
8- Larger dinette table - Obviously the 17's dinette is smaller, it's for 2. The 19's is 44X80 (a bench on each side). The 5.0's is 49X76 (U shaped). So, not larger.
And as Donna has pointed out, it's nice having the dinette in the rear where you can look out over the lake, and not at your tow vehicle, or the circling pickups in the campground. As in the picture below.
9- Front window - As above, I'm not sure that is a reason.
10- Accessibility - I'm not sure, accessible to what? Rear of your tow? Yep that's an advantage, but I'm not sure to what else?

My top reasons for a 5.0.
1- Most all the above
2- I've always wanted a 5.0, but didn't want one that looked like someone's mobile home living room, or that weighed 10,000 lbs, extended 50 feet into the sky, or rivaled the length of a tractor trailer!
3- The bed - It's a roomy queen that runs front to back, which makes it much more convenient in the middle of the night. Particularly if you haven't started using Flomax yet!
4- Hook up - Hooking up and de-hooking are sooooo easy. I've done the WDH, and I'm telling you, there's no comparison! Why even Alf can do it!
5- Towing - With the weight over the rear axle, traction, stability, and maneuverability are quite wonderful. I must say however, that towing with a WDH is also quite stable and very maneuverable. It's just different! One thing you have to be careful of with the 5.0, is that the trailer doesn't track directly behind you in a turn. It cuts the corner short, so unless you turn wide you can take out a gas pump! Backing up is easier with a regular trailer I think, but I'm sure it's because I've done it for so many years. I'm getting much better with the 5.0. Seems a little "slower" to respond, but the pivot point being over the axle, takes a little getting used to. But oh, that hooking up and de-hooking, you back up, hear the "clank" of the retaining rod on the hitch, and you're done!
6- It's cool! - As wonderful as ALL Escape trailers are (and there are none like them, for all the reasons we ALL know), the 5.0 stands out above all the fiberglass trailers on the market, as being different! I caught a lot of stares with my Casita, and I know you all do when you stop for gas, but .... on the road, at the gas pumps, at the campground, I've never had as many people gawk, and twist their necks, and ask questions, and want to "take a look", as I have with the 5.0! What can you say but, "it's cool". I used to think it was just because of my beautiful wife sitting beside me, but alas, they're looking at the camper : - )
Well, I could only think of 6 more "for" the 5.0. I'm sure Alf will weigh in an opinion or two. But, it's been fun on a cold, windy, icy Christmas Eve, to think camping for a little while. Oh, I hear a sound up on my roof...I'd better sign off and get to bed!!!!!
Merry Christmas to all, and to all, a Good night. And don't get mad at me if I've made you dream of sugar plum 5.0's, GoCougsKev asked the question : - )
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:20 PM   #7

Great views available out the rear of the camper, if the dinette is located in the rear.
One is in Lancaster, PA
The second in on a lake in Anderson, SC
Attached Thumbnails
LancasterPA2.jpg   CampingatAnderson1009.jpg  
Old 12-25-2009, 01:06 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)

Lol...love the references of length and ease of hook-up Dan...Even Alf can do it....lol!

Your comments on the 5.0 feeling narrow have not gone unheard....we have received numerous comments on this and although it is not in the budget to make the unit wider with a new mold, adjusting the cabinets inside has achieved this.

We now use the same shower stall as in the 19', however it is a bit taller due to the roof line. This has made for a wider wardrobe closet (20" rather than 15") The counter on the opposite wall is now 3" narrower. Small changes....but effective.

I received criticism from Ian (owner of #1 5.0) when discussing the proposed changes....he was out yesterday to have a look at the new model....liked it enough to start considering a trade....

For our two bitz on the trailers.....Tammy and I have camped in all of the units and we thought the 19' would be the one for us. After touring with the 19 demo this year, we are going back to the 5.0 next year for the following reasons:

More interior storage

The layout works better for our family with the 'loft'. Lets the kids lounge up out of the way when preparing meals if the weather is a bit nasty.

Easier hook-up and towing.

Better fuel economy.

And similar to Dan...the cool factor of the 5.0!

Reace

reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 02:46 PM   #9

Heh Rease, and Merry Christmas to you 4! Tell the girls they have to wear their Virginia Tech shirts on the 31st, when Tech takes on Tennessee in the Chick-fillet Bowl : - ) Need all the "rooters" we can get!
The "narrow" you speak of, is in the shower? Actually, even though it's narrower than the Casita, it's deeper, and taller, so it works GREAT for us, and we USE IT! It always surprises me when someone on the Forum says they never use the shower. Never know what "creepy crawlies" are lerking in the campground shower, ready to jump between your toes : - ( There are NONE of those dudes in our shower! If you had a little weight problem, or a handicap, a little wider would be nice. And we do find the cabinets opposite the bath a little too deep. It's kind of like a lower kitchen cabinet with no drawers, you can get stuff on the back side and kind of "lose them". So, that change sounds great, but not enough for me to "trade". This spring I'm planning on doing drawers on that side with full extension slides. That should solve the problem! Our best to you all!
Attached Thumbnails
thatcool5.0.jpg   MrGoose.jpg  
Old 12-25-2009, 04:28 PM   #10

Hi: All..."Why's everybody always pickin' on ME" Narrow isn't all bad...especially if one spouse is and one isn't!!! A hug in passing can't be all bad either!!! There would have to be some drastic changes made to the layout, to make me want to change. Alf
Old 12-25-2009, 07:51 PM   #11

I'm with you Alf, I like those narrow passages : - ) Hope you've recovered from the hoard! We're on the Outer Banks of North Carolina tonight, until the 4th. Expecting the younger son with his wife and 6 kids. It won't be quiet too much longer : -)
Old 12-26-2009, 06:02 AM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieEscape
This spring I'm planning on doing drawers on that side with full extension slides. That should solve the problem!
Here's a site for rolling shelves, there's locking slides for RVs, etc. May work for you!
http://yhst-55148511090951.stores.yahoo.net/
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:13 AM   #13

Thanks Donna, that is a very useful site for home and RV. I may be able to by from them cheaper than I can do it myself! Looks like a great DIY site
Old 12-27-2009, 07:57 AM   #14

Hi: HokieEscape...Dan I too have the same problem...not enough "Drawers". We inherited a raft of plastic trays with "Our Escape Hatch". Dollar $tore kind so any stuff destined for the back recesses of the pantry shelves goes in them. Easier to pull out later!!! I put a "Dot It" light in the small cupboard at the stairs as it seems so dark& deep.
Good luck on your drawer glides...I'll be looking for pic's!!!
Speaking of looking, we are thinking of a spring trip south to warmer climes!!! How warm would it be for camping in Virginia say in Apr. or May Alf
Old 12-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #15

Hello everyone and Happy New Year. I don't disagree that the 5 is a great unit provided your lifestyle is adaptable to a pickup. In my case it isn't. As a (semi) retired person, and with my wife's disability and now a one vehicle couple I find the mini van to be ideal being lower to step into. (looking forward to towing my 17B.) (Small SUV good to). To compensate for the lack of drawer storage space and expanded closet space needed for longer excursions we have adapted the rear of the van. 1) a full width rod for hanging clothes. 2) drawers for undies, socks, etc. We found the combination worked great on recent 2 month trip to Alaska. Shorter trips no problem anyway. As the saying goes, "each to their own".

Alf, let us know when you have set your going south dates.

Jerry
Old 12-27-2009, 03:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist
Good luck on your drawer glides...I'll be looking for pic's!!!
Speaking of looking, we are thinking of a spring trip south to warmer climes!!! How warm would it be for camping in Virginia say in Apr. or May Alf escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Jerry, you are very right. If a pickup is not suitable, then a 5.0 is not in the picture. Thank you Escape Trailers, that we have many fantastic choices according to our needs!!!!! I'd be proud as a peacock to pull up beside another Escape and wave, shout, and throw kisses! We're family, are we not? (Notice I said, just "throw kisses"!).
Wait til you meet your 17!!!!!! You will be soooooo pleased!
Alf, when I get back from Christmas/New Years at the beach, I'm gonna start evaluating those cabinets, and when I do something, you bet, pics will be coming!
April can still have some pretty cool temps in the Western parts of VA. East can be beautiful though. May in SW VA is fabulous usually, because all the wild flowers are blooming, and the trees are blooming, and all's well with the world : - ) The Blue Ridge Parkway is one of the most wonderful drives you will ever find. Starts up closer to Washington, goes through the beautiful Shenandoah Valley, into the mountains of North Carolina and ends up down in SW North Carolina at Cherokee, right next to the Great Smokey Montains National Park! Of course, Mid way down is Blacksburg, and a free place to camp right next to Hokie. We might come outside and camp with you : - )