Why it's really important to know how tall your trailer is. - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-14-2017, 07:42 AM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I can't believe how many times that GPS has said "passing your destination on the right" only to find out that the destination was on the left or vice versa!
Old 02-14-2017, 09:32 AM   #22

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Haven't encountered any bridges/obstructions lower than 11'7", but Stupid (my Garmin's name) does inform me when I am approaching a rest area.
We really like our Garmin but we do refer to her as Delilah because sometimes she's a little deceptive.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:52 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Our Garmin is mostly now left unused whenever we have a cell phone signal. We have had much better luck with Google and then Waze when in city settings. The crowd sourcing of Waze has been really helpful in city congestion.

But Mary with map in hand is still my most trusted navigator by a long shot!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:13 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I'm with Eric, so far the Google Maps and Waze have not led me astray. The retired Garmin did, but perhaps it is because that woman inside it is from the UK and just doesn't really know our roads.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:54 PM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The original post is in FiberglassRV: Oh no! Scraped the AC off our Escape '19!!!

This update was posted today:
Quote:
And about the map... the gps has a habit of making us go in weird circles to turn left in Arizona. We need to learn to actually look at the map, not just get into interesting conversations and follow the voice commands blindly!

In this case, gps sent us into a hotel parking lot to make a big 1/2 block circle. There was a roof over part of the lot, supported by 2' black ibars. The roof was high enough, the invisible bars were not. We got just close enough and rrrrrip! Crash! (Dang!)
So the bars were part of a building structure in a hotel parking lot.

No navigation system should be expected to contain information about structures within a parking lot. A paper map is even more likely to be out of date and much less likely to indicate the existence of low overhead clearance on roads; it probably won't even show the existence of parking lots, let alone clearance within them. The driver needs to look.

Regardless of navigational information available, no system - GPS-based or otherwise - relieves the driver of the responsibility to choose where to drive, and if the path is not sufficiently visible, it's not suitable.

In this case knowing the height of the trailer was not the problem - seeing what clearance was available and choosing a suitable route were.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:57 PM   #26

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
Go here it is the toughest bridge in the US it is only 2.50 min long that if you wait you will see someone clean the top of their 5th wheel off completely at about 1.39 min This is a longer version if you want to be entertained:} . As for GPS accuracy ... one story of many Bad GPS Directions May Have Caused This Deadly Car Accident

Cypher
that is absolutely hilarious.......and a bit sad for those involved...

something those that purchase Pop-up trailers need not worry about!
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:57 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post

Saw a pop-up ( tent trailer ) on the shoulder near my home. Somebody forgot to latch the top and the entire canvas and the roof were laying on the road behind the trailer. Just another bad day for somebody. It's a good chance they were on their way to Whistler or to the ferry to the island for family vacation.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:31 PM   #28

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
So remind me again, now that I've stopped laughing at the YouTube video, how high exactly is a 2016 5.0TA?
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:38 PM   #29

Trailer: 2005 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17
Send a message via Skype™ to mdnf
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
If using a GPS, there are add ons that can be installed on the GP S to warn you if there are low bridges ahead, and they are customizable to display the minimum height you want. There are any number of databases available such as one which tells you that you are approaching a rest area or even a quilt shop. It has been a while since I "customized" my Garmin, but if anyone wants to do so please post saying so and I will refresh my "poor" memory by looking at my computer and then provide greater detail. Haven't encountered any bridges/obstructions lower than 11'7", but Stupid (my Garmin's name) does inform me when I am approaching a rest area.
I would appreciate the help!
mdnf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:59 PM   #30
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
The road to Widget Works passes under a railroad trestle with 10-10 clearance next to a tavern. I know the owners, and they said they pick up at least a dozen RV air conditioners every year despite the warning signs over 1/4 mile away (and on the trestle.)

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:03 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post

Unfortunately the bridge does not peel their driver's license with the top of their rigs. They missed the numerous signs and flashing lights
Old 02-14-2017, 09:08 PM   #32

I've got a towing checklist (similar to the one ETI provides) that I go over before towing. I've included the height of my trailer (metric and imperial) as well as things like lug nut torque, tire pressure, etc. Its always there for quick reference and a good reminder.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:58 PM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by davescape View Post
I've got a towing checklist (similar to the one ETI provides) that I go over before towing. I've included the height of my trailer (metric and imperial) as well as things like lug nut torque, tire pressure, etc. Its always there for quick reference and a good reminder.
Well crap. I just redid my checklist and had it laminated, and now I have to do it again, adding that information.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:52 PM   #34

Why not post it in the vehicle / on the corner of the camper in reverse so you can see it when you look in the side mirror.. Mine is on a clip on the rearview mirror the clip sits on top of the brake controller . You have to move it to adjust it after you hook up. Easy Peasy

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:35 AM   #35

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by davescape View Post
We really like our Garmin but we do refer to her as Delilah because sometimes she's a little deceptive.
Dave.......your name for the Garmin is far more clever than ours.
We knew our Garmin was "quirky," but it got named Stupid after it tried to bring us down a gravel road, downhill, to a an area I was later told was washed out with no place to turn around. I never would have gotten out of there. It was near Nolin State Park outside of Mammoth Cave NP in Kentucky. I was angry enough at the time that I instantly named it Stupid before any creative mind I might have could kick in!
Old 03-02-2017, 01:04 AM   #36

Trailer: 2011 19' Escape
Send a message via Skype™ to Abeltaine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
A lot of low bridges and overpasses have a very heavy I beam or channel iron in front of the bridge; This serves to bring your over height vehicle down to the correct dementions so you don't damage the bridge. Loren

Lol
This post was me. And Loren that is exactly what we hit. Lol
Amy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Abeltaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:12 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
I guess that people sometimes do forget that they are towing a trailer, the same way many forget that they have loaded the car roof and can't fit into the garage. I have to be careful about that myself. Hope the trailer does not have any really bad damage.
In this case, they could not see the obstruction in the dark.

Yep. Could not see the steel hanging below the roof. The gps sent us into a former mall to turn around. Well... we turned around!

We replaced the fan with an awesome fan with a remote control. Really moves the air!

Amy

Old 03-02-2017, 01:13 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
I guess that people sometimes do forget that they are towing a trailer, the same way many forget that they have loaded the car roof and can't fit into the garage. I have to be careful about that myself. Hope the trailer does not have any really bad damage.
In this case, they could not see the obstruction in the dark.

And thanks for sticking up for me float!
Amy

Old 03-02-2017, 09:12 PM   #39

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B, 2011 Ranger FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
On another note, a GPS is a poor substitute for eyes, ears, and situational awareness
Which were obviously lacking on the part of the guy who followed his GPS instructions to dive down into the Toronto subway tunnel a week or so ago. Shut down the subway system while they extricated his car.

Man fined $425 for driving SUV into streetcar tunnel was 'following GPS' - Toronto - CBC News