Why not use the trunk instead of the front storage box? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2017, 09:55 AM   #61

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan Blake View Post
Thank you for your thoughts. Just wondering if the rhino-like lining for the storage box is applied to the exterior of the box? Is there a buckle with a hole to padlock it shut? It must be bolted to the frame? Lots of questions--just trying to justify the price, but I am being persuaded.
Hi yes the Rhino like coating is applied to the front exterior of the box. There are holes in the hasp so you can put locks through . It is bolted through with extra plates on the front hitch frame for the box . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:00 AM   #62
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan Blake View Post
just trying to justify the price, but I am being persuaded.
We originally thought it was very expensive. Then we looked at other storage box solutions. It was money very well spent, and it's one of the most used things on our trailer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2017, 10:06 AM   #63

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
How large would a storage box have to be before it wouldn't be packed full of stuff?
There is no limit, you will just keep adding stuff until it is full. Just like having lots of home storage, which we do, and have a ton of stuff that never gets used.

There is something to be said about a minimalistic approach, though we all tend to stray from that point of view.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:34 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
How large would a storage box have to be before it wouldn't be packed full of stuff?
Our box in the front has a sticker limiting our box to 100 lbs . We have the 19 so our batteries are in the box too . We have 2 batteries . The 100 lb limit is no problem for what is in the box . Hoses , extra sewer fittings .wheel chocks . extra cables and locks for wheels . Things for trailer that are easy to get without bending down . Real easy to come from trailer to box to batteries in the 19 for solar, battery monitor hookups etc. Pat
Old 04-15-2017, 09:46 PM   #65

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Appreciate all the comments about the storage box. I think we will get the box! I think it'll make packing up for a trip just that much easier for us and I'm ALL about that!

"It is better to travel well than to arrive" - Buddha
Ljswany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:13 PM   #66
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Top layer of the box is full of all the bulky crap needed to set up when I arrive at a site. Next layer is tools and incidentals like spare parts. One side has the water hoses and filter. Doesn't get much simpler than that to come and go at a site!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 11:12 AM   #67

Trailer: 19' - Picking up November 29, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
If you don't get the box, you can spend your afternoons wondering what you can use that space for. I do.
What about a somewhat smaller, better looking diamond plate aluminum box instead? I personally think the ETI box is god awful ugly. I understand the benefits of front storage but I want it to look good too. Has anyone put a diamond box up front? Pics please.
Dan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 11:25 AM   #68

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have on other trailers, both rectangle and triangle shaped, but there is limited space due to the propane tanks and only a rectangle will fit. Some members have made their own, that is always a choice.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:50 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
What about a somewhat smaller, better looking diamond plate aluminum box instead? I personally think the ETI box is god awful ugly. I understand the benefits of front storage but I want it to look good too. Has anyone put a diamond box up front? Pics please.
I hear you , put on build , took off build, put on final build . Reason was cost etc. went back and forth . One of our most favorite options . The Escape one will help protect the front of your trailer , very important for us . Didn't care for snap on vinyl that is what you will get , Tammy told us which you will have to replace maybe in 3 years .can put wet items or that you want handy in box . The front of box has like a linex coverings . One of the great options in our opinion . Pat
Old 05-13-2017, 01:27 PM   #70

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
A few have done aluminum truck boxes. Thread here: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ongue-512.html
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 03:24 PM   #71

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
If you leave the propane tanks where Escape puts them, you have the front-to-back space allowed for Escape's optional box; it is awkward because the lower front wall of the trailer body leans forward. You can build a small trapezoidal box just out to the edge of the frame, or go further (but presumably not as far as the Escape box; since the propane tanks overhang anyway it would make sense to me to go out at least that far.

An alternative is to build a box which contains the propane tanks, which you can relocate if desired. You could even move the tanks to Escape's original inline configuration (one ahead of the other, down the centre line of the tongue area), and add "saddlebag" style boxes - probably tapered in width - on each side. There are certainly options!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 03:31 PM   #72
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
I personally think the ETI box is god awful ugly.
Different strokes. I happen to like it's appearance. Fiberglass to match the fiberglass trailer. I suppose you could do a diamondplate, but you're talking more weight. And, the one from Escape does an excellent job protecting the front lower corners of the trailer.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:42 PM   #73

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I didn't like the box either as I would prefer the trailer plain, but need the storage for all of the chocks and blocks, ball mount grease, WDH parts when off, and more. And the box also protects the front of the trailer from rocks as mentioned.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 05:48 PM   #74
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I remember when I first saw the front storage box, it was a bit jarring... I'm visual and UGH. But after four years or so seeing the same box on many, many Escapes, it's no longer an issue. I have an aluminum diamond plate tongue box for my Scamp. Now IT is looking like something that belongs on a farm tractor rather than a rounded all-molded-towable. When I originally bought it, I thought it was kinda cool. No more. And it doesn't stay shiny without a lot of FLITZ and a buff ball. Who needs all that work...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:10 PM   #75

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
I liked the look of the box from the first time I saw it. Still lovin it, especially for keeping set up equipment and dirty stuff away from the our clean trailer interior and truck bed.
Bob K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:32 PM   #76

Trailer: 2010 Escape 15A
A bit late to this discussion, but we bought our Escape used - without the front box. We picked it up at Escape in Canada and had two things added to it: a front box and an outside outlet. Yes, it was pricey because it was custom made for our 15A, but its value has been more than paid for in just a year or so. It is so great to have all the hook up items easily accessible, as well as items like the axe hidden away safely in there. Just my experience.
kkinna is offline   Reply With Quote