Why so many sizes? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)
Why so many sizes?

I saw this in another thread and thought I could add some input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
I find it amazing that they have so many models, a new one at least every two years. I don't know how they do it. 13', 15', 17', 19', 21', 5.0, new 5.0. So many in a very short time. As someone said, the mind boggles.
Just to clarify, the 13' and 5.0 have been discontinued. We now offer 15' (2 plans), 17' (2 plans), 19', 21' and 5.0 TA.

Why so many sizes?

For those of you who have not toured our fibreglass facility...the Escape body assembly is different than most, if not all fibreglass trailers, campers and boats. Most put the body together after the shell in halves have been removed from the molds. With our system, once the two halves have cured, we bolt the top mold on top of the bottom mold and seam the two halves together while everything is still tight in the mold. The shell is then demolded as a full unibody shell.

This method ensures consistency with every unit, however the shell is in the mold for a much longer period. To speed up production, we alternate mold sizes. In our fibreglass facility, there is a large spray booth where the parts are made. Once the two halves are built and cured, they are moved out to be joined together. At this point another set of molds is set up in the spray booth.

The fibreglass shop operates about a month ahead of the main production. If you have noticed our production schedule, we usually run a balance between two different sizes back to back. For example, the fibreglass shop will build 17,19,17,19,17,19,17,19, but for consistency, the production shop will build 17,17,17,17,19,19,19,19. Adding new sizes helps the fibreglass shop to squeeze in different sizes in their runs to keep up as the assembly is steadily increasing in speed.

We still want to be able to work with the customer in customizing their Escape, however we have had to streamline assembly a bit more and can't offer quite as many changes as we were once able to. For example we have to stay tighter to the floor plan designs offered. Small alterations, no problem. Moving a bathroom, major alteration...not possible.

More sizes coming? I don't anticipate anything larger. ( I know I have said that before! )
We are trying to maintain a nice flow that keeps us busy, but at a pace that will allow us to continue to work one on one with each customers' needs and wants.

Reace
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Personally, I don't understand why someone would be concerned about how many sizes are available in the first place. My concern is quality, availability, and of course profitability. Without profit, Escape would not exist, and we'd be left with less desirable choices...I take much comfort in knowing I'm getting (when I finally purchase) a quality product that will provide my family many years of reliable service, and that the manufacture stands behind.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:24 PM   #3

I found Escape trailers too late to get a 13'. I hope that the 15' does not become extinct too.

If you can dream it, you can do it
walloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
For what it is worth, my Escape 21' has been home for a little over 2 weeks and I have shown it to 3 prospective owners, 2 couples of them today. It's hard work selling these units………. The more you make, the more that can be sold.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Wow Jim, that's great. With those finder fees I nominate you to buy the beer or some appropriate beverage at the next Escape rally. They are certainly looking at a beautiful rig from the pictures you have posted.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I was under the impression that the 13' could still be ordered in rare cases. It would be a shame to never do the littlest one!

Perhaps this all means that a queen bed is possible in the 21'. And two-foot-itis will not visit you for at least another two years.

In any case, Reace, it still amazes me the amount you have done in a few short years with so many shells and all of the customization situations after beginning with one trailer not that long ago.

Thank you for the explanation on the unibody work.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:37 PM   #7

Trailer: 19'
Thanks for the post, Reace. j
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #8

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
I am more familiar with boat construction and my understanding is the longer the material is in the mold the better which results in more consistent/uniform and structurally superior shells. The better boat hulls were in the mold multiple days and the better boat hulls bolted the sections together and used few or no rivets. I am thankful Escape takes the extra steps to make the fiberglass shell.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #9

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
The same reason the major car manufacturers have so many models to offer.

Each person has their reasons and needs. Having a variety makes it easier to accommodate this.

Keep up the great work!
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:21 AM   #10

Trailer: 2016 21' sold, current class C, Now looking
We saw Jim's Blackjack today. After seeing a few of his trailers....this is another winner. We are really excited for our hatch date in July. Compared to our Casita, the finish, detail, and quality is unsurpassed. Nice Job Reace and Company. But I too find myself thinking okay, this year the 21' and in a few years the new 5.0TA..... Thanks for a great product!
Don W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Thanks Reace. Not many RV forums get expert replies from the owner himself. This is an example of one of the many many things that make Escape Trailer such an exceptional company.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Thanks Reace. Not many RV forums get expert replies from the owner himself. This is an example of one of the many many things that make Escape Trailer such an exceptional company.
Exactly!!!!!

Thanks Reace and Tammy
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:38 AM   #13

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
I concur!
Old 12-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #14

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Out of curiosity, is there a breakdown somewhere of the production numbers by year and model somewhere?
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I saw the 21' for the first time at the 2013 Oregon Gathering in July 2013. Oh my stars... it was/is beautiful. Almost enough to make me change my mind about owning an Escape 5er. BUT, then Reace posted.. about the new TA 5er... and I absolutely knew I was hooked. For me, it's not about size... it's about layout. And THIS ONE is perfect for ME. I created an image, taking both the published layout of the current 21 and the future 5er and this is what came up. Notice, the doorway is in the same place as is the kitchen and the rear dinette. Just goes to show... two different trailers, but both with front to rear beds (no crawl overs!). One requires a truck, the other an appropriate bumper pull... Different strokes for different folks!
Attached Thumbnails
5er-21_FloorPlanComparison.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:36 PM   #16

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Donna's gettin' exciiited
How's that build sheet coming along?
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:14 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
Donna's gettin' exciiited
How's that build sheet coming along?
Wearing out the build sheet. Put it on, take it off, change to this, change to that. Still struggling with the upholstery fabric!

A bit more than three weeks for you to go. I'm betting YOU and Norma are the ones getting excited.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:22 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Basically with the 5th TA you are sleeping in your truck bed, longer unit but with the extension over the truck bed about the same over all length bumper to bumper.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:38 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Basically with the 5th TA you are sleeping in your truck bed, longer unit but with the extension over the truck bed about the same over all length bumper to bumper.
Correct. The image of the 21' floor plan doesn't include the tongue which is where the bed is in a 5er. But the interior space of a 5er (square feet) is much larger than the 21' because of the loft.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:08 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That sounds like a comparison of the (original) 5.0 to the 17 Foot model, rather than the 21 Foot.

Assuming that the new 5.0 is only a few inches longer than the original, and that the pin is essentially at the front of the body, then
  • the overall coupler-to-bumper length is the same as the 21', but
  • the 5.0 has body for the whole distance so it has more body length, and
  • with the hitch well forward of the truck's bumper, the 5.0 tug&trailer combination (bumper to bumper) is shorter than the 21' conventional trailer.

So with the fifth-wheel you get the body length of a 23 ft, with the overall length of a 20 ft, and the overall rig length of the same truck with a 17 ft... but the front of you trailer is just a loft (the standing room length is only that of the 17 ft) and you need a truck. As always, life is a compromise.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote