Width between rear seats in 2017 17B - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2018, 09:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Width between rear seats in 2017 17B

We are scheming about storage under the rear bed in a 2017 17B and came upon the idea of a clothes washer riser/platform/stand as a large pull out drawer. Found one on CL locally, width is 27 inches and my rough measurement (before we stored the trailer) was 26 inches. The CL ad says 16 inches high and my rough height was 16 1/2". ETI says we can remove the flanges for the rear dinette, as we desire, to accommodate said unit. Can someone with a similar trailer measure these for us? It would be much appreciated.
Tony and Darlene
Tony N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 02:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
The idea of having a laundry pedestal fill the space under the rear dinette is interesting. I am considering an option similair to that or having Escape build the permanent bed option. With the permanent bed option it does cost $500.00 but that includes moving the converter to the front dinette area.
How often does one need to access the converter. If a laundry pedestal is installed in the back dinette, accessing the converter could be an issue. Does anyone have an idea if this would be a bid deal? Or would you be better off just to get the permanent bed built by Escape and having the converter moved.
(I originally posted this under the new stove thread, so likely people are wondering what the heck am I talking about)
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 02:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
The idea of having a laundry pedestal fill the space under the rear dinette is interesting.
(I originally posted this under the new stove thread, so likely people are wondering what the heck am I talking about)
I'm confused. What the heck is a laundry pedestal?
Old 04-05-2018, 02:47 PM   #4

A laundry pedestal is simply a cabinet with a drawer that is used to place under a washing machine to raise the height of the washing machine. Virtually all the manufacturers of washing machines offer these. The intriguing part is that it looks like it would fit quite nicely in the space between the rear dinette seats of a 17B, so if you wanted to make that more or less a permanent bed, the pedestal could be a simple placement versus building something
Old 04-05-2018, 02:51 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Why not build, or have built, a custom drawer or storage solution to maximize storage in that area?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
The intriguing part is that it looks like it would fit quite nicely in the space between the rear dinette seats of a 17B, so if you wanted to make that more or less a permanent bed, the pedestal could be a simple placement versus building something
I donno. We leave the rear dinette down to create the bed with cushions ( don't have mattress, but use a topper ). I've found four containers that fit perfectly under the table.
Haven't found enough stuff to put in them.
Can take them into the house to load up. Got them at Lordco, but can't find branding anywhere on them.
Attached Thumbnails
Storage.jpg  
Old 04-05-2018, 03:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Why not build, or have built, a custom drawer or storage solution to maximize storage in that area?
I agree that would be the best option, but I think the appeal of the laundry pedestal is that it appears to be very close in size to the opening under the dinette when in the bed position. For those that are not handy, just putting in something you can just buy off the shelf and install could be appealing. Overall look could be pretty good.

Do you have any thoughts with regard to limiting access to the converter if you installed such a thing, or for that matter made a custom made drawer? Would you be better off to have the converter moved?
Old 04-05-2018, 03:10 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Do you have any thoughts with regard to limiting access to the converter if you installed such a thing, or for that matter made a custom made drawer? Would you be better off to have the converter moved?
If you were permanently mounting anything, whether an appliance drawer or a custom build, I would definitely move the converter. Even if it is not convenient, you need easy access to the breakers and fuses. I know in a house, by code you need to keep 1m clear from in front of a panel.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:11 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
How often does one need to access the converter. If a laundry pedestal is installed in the back dinette, accessing the converter could be an issue. Does anyone have an idea if this would be a bid deal? Or would you be better off just to get the permanent bed built by Escape and having the converter moved.
I can say I would never want the converter blocked. It needs air for cooling and it could be a safety issue too. If an outlet or appliance was arcing I would want to be able to throw the main breaker quickly. If I blew a fuse on the 12V side I would want clear access for replacement.

WFCO who makes ETI's converter does not have a set number for clearance, but it appears it may be governed by the RVIA Handbook (and also common sense). This document from Parallax who makes a very similar converter to the WFCO 8955 indicates on page 3 their rationale behind a 22" clearance requirement in front of the converter.
http://d163axztg8am2h.cloudfront.net...bea329205a.pdf
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:16 PM   #10

Thanks Jim Bennett and Rubicon327,
I kind of thought limiting or blocking access to the converter could be a problem. Tony N before installing the laundry pedestal you might consider that.
For me I will just get Escape to make the permanent bed, move the converter, and then get a custom drawer built to be placed behind the doors Escape would install under the bed.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:18 PM   #11

I can't say enough about this forum. There are so many owners out there with great knowledge. I am learning lots reading all the various posts. So when I finally get to have my trailer built, I feel I will be making some good informed decisions.
Thanks everyone for sharing your expertise.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:25 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I am considering an option similair to that or having Escape build the permanent bed option. With the permanent bed option it does cost $500.00 but that includes moving the converter to the front dinette area.
Since almost all AC and DC circuits terminate at the power centre (which is the box containing the converter, AC breaker panel), it would be a pain to move it after the trailer is built. If Escape puts it in a different location while building the trailer, it shouldn't be much extra work for them.

Quote:
How often does one need to access the converter. If a laundry pedestal is installed in the back dinette, accessing the converter could be an issue. Does anyone have an idea if this would be a bid deal?
If you ever trip a circuit breaker, blow a fuse, or have a power problem which needs troubleshooting, you need to get at the panels. The power centre also needs some ventilation (because of the converter), and that usually depends on airflow through the front panel.

You never need access to the converter itself in normal use, although of course if it fails some day or you want a different converter, you would need to dig in there.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:30 PM   #13

Escape will move the converter to under the seat in the front dinette area when building the permanent bed option for the 17B. The cost for making a permanent bed, 8" mattress, doors under the bed area and moving the converter is $500.00 which doesn't seem unreasonable to me