Will 2017 production be sold out on April 1st 2016? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2016, 11:02 AM   #41

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Ruthe:
A lot of us have the depression training inherited from our parents. I am fortunate to have had parents who knew how to make a lot of low cost memories, balanced with living basically a debt free life. As adults,
it took us about 45 years to progress from tents to the Escape. The desire of some people to live beyond their means or to not understand how to live a financially balanced life has my sympathy.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:22 AM   #42

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Alf,
You need Mary Anne to clear your cache......
Old 03-14-2016, 11:36 AM   #43

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Will 2017 production be sold out on April 1st 2016?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Alf,

Jim is that cache or cash, I know which one my wife can clear quickly. [emoji6]

Cheers

Doug
Old 03-14-2016, 12:00 PM   #44

I thought a cache was where a wolverine stored some food for eating later. Kinda like cold pizza in a box in the back of the Dometic.
Dave
Old 03-14-2016, 12:04 PM   #45

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
After experiencing 2 devastating slow leaks in our 2002 Nash trailer that finally made it a write-off, we decided to go for a fiberglass trailer, as we saw so many Bigfoot trailers that seemed impervious to water and long lasting. We hesitated because they went out of business briefly, and we found the Escape trailers. Before buying our Escape I compared it with similar Bigfoot models and found the latter to be a lot heavier and about $10,000 Canadian more. Despite the announced price increase the Escape is still cheaper and lighter than the Bigfoot, and the customer service no where near as good as ETI (according to owners I spoke with). If we were in the market for s trailer right now I wouldn't hesitate to go with the Escape again. I continue to gush about these trailers even with the price increase. We spent a ton of money on our stick built and watched it rot away in 12 years. Our Escape is a far better investment!

Bob K
2015 Canadian purchaser
thank you for your perspective...Bigfoot is on my list to review also despite its cost and weight.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:27 PM   #46

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Alf,
Hi: cpaharley2008... I can chuck my own cookies while I cash my cheque.
I doubt with the production increase, that ETI will be sold out for 2017 in one day.
I could be wrong though.
We have an appointment with a kitchen designer tomorrow. I may need to sell some or all of my toys to pay that bill!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:01 PM   #47

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
(snip)Value is determined by what you get for what you pay, NOT for how much you have to pay. Where else can you get the combination of features that Escape offers? Things like the ability to choose from as many standard options that they offer, PLUS to be able to may custom modifications to suit your needs. This alone has huge value.
That was one of the biggest draws to us for getting an Escape. Nothing in the stick builts appealed to us, especially all the stinking brown interiors. And leather - yuck! But now I can pick the colors *I* want for the interior and know that it will keep me happy for many, many years.

Anxiously awaiting the next 10 days to see if we go with the 2017 version and spend more money or stay with the 2016 version. Ack!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:08 PM   #48
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Anxiously awaiting the next 10 days to see if we go with the 2017 version and spend more money or stay with the 2016 version. Ack!
Aw, c'mon Laura - you know you're going to go for the 2017...
Old 03-14-2016, 01:08 PM   #49

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
" I HAVE NO ISSUE WITH THE QUALITY OF ESCAPE TRAILER'S "
The concept of value is a personnal decision. . Rolls Royse builds a quality vehicle and it may be of great value but I have no intention of buying one.. At the old price and at the higher exchange rate we were at the limit of what we willing to spend on a luxury ( Non Essential) purchase..Most people when purchasing any item have a price they are willing to spend for that item and Escape has surpassed our limit. I am in no way questioning anyone's decision to own or purchase an Escape Trailer. My point was that as Escape raises it's price ,no matter how justified the price increase was and
as the exchange rate gets less favorable for US customers , they will eventually reach a point of price resistance .. We have viewed several Escapes and really like their trailers but there is a limit on what we are willing to spend on something that in our climate is only used 6 months out of a year. I would venture to say that I am not alone in believing that an Escape Trailer has risen to a price point where purchasing one is no longer in our / their future.
I can see Steve's point here very clearly. Our 2016 17B is going to end up costing just a little north of what we considered our max limit on a camper. And while we are comfortable with that, if the US/CDN exchange rate had not been so much in our favor, or if we had to absorb the new prices for the 2017 model, we would not be getting an Escape.

So while we may see the changes for the 2017 and think it would be wonderful to have one, there is no way we could justify that extra cost, so we are going to be very happy that we got our 2016 model at a cost that we are comfortable with.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:14 PM   #50

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Let's see. I got a RAV4 instead of a 4Runner. Didn't have as many features and cost less.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:17 PM   #51

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
I can see Steve's point here very clearly. Our 2016 17B is going to end up costing just a little north of what we considered our max limit on a camper. And while we are comfortable with that, if the US/CDN exchange rate had not been so much in our favor, or if we had to absorb the new prices for the 2017 model, we would not be getting an Escape.

So while we may see the changes for the 2017 and think it would be wonderful to have one, there is no way we could justify that extra cost, so we are going to be very happy that we got our 2016 model at a cost that we are comfortable with.
I can't argue this point at all, I just wonder what folks would choose that is comparable, but cheaper. Unless I am mistaken (and this has been known to be a regular thing with me), the only option to save money is to get less trailer. When I say less, that is pretty open ended, as it could be less feature, less quality, or a number of other sacrifices. With buying an Escape, paying for it can definitely be looked at as a sacrifice too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:20 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I can't argue this point at all, I just wonder what folks would choose that is comparable, but cheaper. Unless I am mistaken (and this has been known to be a regular thing with me), the only option to save money is to get less trailer. When I say less, that is pretty open ended, as it could be less feature, less quality, or a number of other sacrifices. With buying an Escape, paying for it can definitely be looked at as a sacrifice too.
In our case, that would have probably meant getting a Scamp. We actually started our search for Scamp or Casita, and could have been happy with either. But when we saw that we could afford an Escape with the exchange rate, that made for an easy decision
Old 03-14-2016, 01:28 PM   #53

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
One way of dealing with price increases is to restrict options. Mine is pretty much basic and does everything I want or need it to do.
I read the build lists here and don't suffer any envy. In fact, if I were to do it again, I'd eliminate the three-burner stove and my exterior front hatch.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:31 PM   #54

Good point Glenn. While we could do without the U-shaped dinette and storage box and exterior front hatch, we are glad that the exchange rate meant that we could get them
Old 03-14-2016, 01:37 PM   #55

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
One has to be careful not to confuse value vs affordability. I don't think anyone is questioning the value of the Escape, just look at the resale capability. However, price increases do affect affordability for people and one has to be sensitive to that. I priced our exact trailer that we bought last year and we don't have the option prices yet, so I used last years. Converted it with yesterday's exchange rate and we would not be able to consider buying at this years price with the current exchange rate. There was some sadness at that moment as we love our 19 and I was thinking of the folks who would now find themselves in our position that we could no longer have considered it.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:41 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
One has to be careful not to confuse value vs affordability. I don't think anyone is questioning the value of the Escape, just look at the resale capability. However, price increases do affect affordability for people and one has to be sensitive to that. I priced our exact trailer that we bought last year and we don't have the option prices yet, so I used last years. Converted it with yesterday's exchange rate and we would not be able to consider buying at this years price with the current exchange rate. There was some sadness at that moment as we love our 19 and I was thinking of the folks who would now find themselves in our position that we could no longer have considered it.

Ding, ding, ding. Give that man a prize. I could not have stated it better.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:56 PM   #57

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
(snip)Anxiously awaiting the next 10 days to see if we go with the 2017 version and spend more money or stay with the 2016 version. Ack!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Aw, c'mon Laura - you know you're going to go for the 2017...
A big part of the decision will be the additional cost. I'm assuming that if we go with the 2017 version, we'll be paying more for the options I already have locked in (price-wise) since I signed off on my build sheet in mid-January. In looking at the options for the 2016 version I see that at least one of the options we're getting (and maybe more) has increased since then. Two of the options increased between the time we lucked out with an unexpected opening in early December and when I signed off on it.

We're getting (at our cost and installation) Bali blinds for it and I'm thinking the straighter walls will work better with them, however I also know my mechanical engineer husband can figure out a way for them to attach to the curved walls of the 2016 so there won't be a gap along the sides when they're pulled down. Someone else on this forum had Bali blinds, but when I wrote to them asking about the loop they said they used to hold them down, I never got a reply. But, Dirk is great at figuring out stuff like that. If not, I'm sure someone on this forum will have ideas. So, is it really worth it to pay more so the blinds hang better when I know there's a fix for it? Probably not. But the thought of not needing a fix for them won't leave my brain.

Some have speculated that there might be a larger door opening, which my big butt says "yeah!". And how a different frig could fit in. Well, the situation with the frigs and how they stay cool or not kind of goes over my head, so I can't say one way or the other which would be better (a different frig or the current one).

I don't have a bone to pick on either the current windows or frameless as my only experience with RVs is a month long rental trip almost a year ago. The Jayco had frameless, but I'm not a huge fan of crank out windows. I know it's been debated if you get better air flow with side to side opening windows (like they have now) or with awning style windows (which it would be with frameless - I'm assuming as I think there are frameless that slide side to side). I just know I hated the crank windows in the single wide we had in Spokane. It's been said with awning style windows you can leave them open when it rains. Well, I got the info on making your own window awnings when it was posted and I'll probably get Dirk to rustle up some of those. So, that may not make a difference to me in the long run.

And like Nathan posted when he was asked about getting the 2016 version of the 5.0TA. He's going with a tried and true version that has all the kinks worked out (maybe not those exact words, but that's what I'm saying!). Will there be problems/kinks with a 2017 version? Who the heck knows. I know if there are, ETI will do their darndest to fix 'em and at least I'm close enough to haul the trailer up there if need be (3 hours south). But do I want to deal with them getting fixed? Probably not as it's time I'm not using it!

I do know our delivery date won't change if we switch to a 2017 version as we're quite far down the production line.

I'm hoping they'll have at least one of the new 2017 trailers available for viewing both the inside and outside soon after the March 24th reveal. I know they said they would just have photos of the outside, but I'm hoping there will be interior photos. I'd love to go up there and take one of our Bali blinds to hold it up to the inside of the window to see how it hangs and if there are any gaps.

I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering which version to go with. Decisions, decisions, decisions. And wondering how much more it'll cost when compared to what we've already paid (all of it and we actually have a $150 credit with ETI) and what we would have to additionally pay.

So, yeah, lots on my mind. Whew! Got more than you bargained for with your comment, huh Bryan?
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:08 PM   #58

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
When my son and I went to Ontario in 2010 to hunt bears I trusted Clay to make all the arrangements and to " let me know what my 1/2 is". I cannot tell you what the exchange rate was or even how much money we spent. I vividly remember the fishing, the other people in camp, the outfitter and his employees. And I remember the shot I made on my bear. Every day I look at the two mounts, his and mine hanging on our great room wall. Probably couldn't afford it then and probably not now, but we did it. We made some memories that will last both of us for the rest of our lives. I look at camping with the Escape the same way. Memories for the rest of our lives. My Dad's best friend from the 1930s died this past weekend. He was 103. My dad however, only made 49. Life can be fleeting. Live every day as if it is your last and someday you will be right.
Dave
Agreed, Dave. Rational decision makers satisfice. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satisficing

We are happily "stuck" with our decision to purchase a 21. Rates go up and down and time moves on.

For me Robin Williams summed it up nicely with Carpe Diem:
Old 03-14-2016, 02:13 PM   #59

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Ruthe:
A lot of us have the depression training inherited from our parents. I am fortunate to have had parents who knew how to make a lot of low cost memories, balanced with living basically a debt free life. As adults,
it took us about 45 years to progress from tents to the Escape. The desire of some people to live beyond their means or to not understand how to live a financially balanced life has my sympathy.
Dave
My parents were products of the Great Depression and passed on to me the depression area mentality . My grandfather worked at a small grocery store during the depression and on Saturday evening he would bring home any bread ,produce or meat that would go bad by the next Monday .He would take what he needed for his family and give the rest to the neighbors. Fist fights broke out over the food he was passing out because many of the families were literally starving . My father constantly told me that you don't buy luxuries when you can't afford necessities . As an example ,my dad never borrowed money to buy a car and following his example neither have I. Escape is a great trailer but it still goes under the heading of a luxury IMHO . AMEN
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 03:24 PM   #60

As a friend of mine who was a fire and brimstone type of preacher would end each sentence and especially, funeral anecdote, give me an Amen, Amen. Satisficing, I have to admit I never heard that term before but I have lived it successfully for many years. It's great for met to set around with people roughly my age and compare lives on any level. I often ask if we had the same dad, spinster elementary school principal, wizard neighbor with a garage shop and any number of similar experiences. Makes you believe in a parallel universe existed throughout America and Canada in the 50s at the least.
Iowa Dave