Will 2017 production be sold out on April 1st 2016? - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2016, 06:34 PM   #81
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
another random thought..
if the 2017 Escape price increase included rising costs associated with components sourced in USA & the current USA/CAD exchange rate being less than 1 to 1
...if the exchange rate creeps back to 1 to 1 will the Escape price decrease?
I can think of at least one time when Escape actually decreased the purchase price. That was several years ago when they were able to negotiate better prices for the products (appliances?) they were using to build the trailers. So it can happen. Whether it does or not
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:38 PM   #82

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'm sure Escape purchases a set number of units at a set price for a contract term.
I expect that they have been losing money having to sell trailers for less, with components that they paid for at par.
So, I wouldn't expect prices to be adjusted weekly as the dollar goes up or down.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:39 PM   #83

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Don't forget that the E21 is only 8" shorter than the largest Ollie.

The E17 is 1" longer than the smaller Ollie.

This is for cabin to cabin measurements as given by the factories, not overall lengths.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:40 PM   #84

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Thanks, Donna. You took the wind right out of my sails. I was going to mention that price decrease.

Only Escape can answer that question for certain anyway. Though our dollar may strengthen somewhat, based on everything I have heard, it will not likely be very much, not for some time yet.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:45 PM   #85

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I can't help but wonder what the impact if any of Rice Texas sales would be on Escape sales if the exchange rate was 1 to 1 and if they had any interest in offering a tandem axle trailer either 19 and /or a 21 with some improvements and even while lacking the Escapes custom ability.
I assume that this is a reference to Casita; since this is an Escape forum, some readers may not recognize Rice as the Casita company's location.

As far as I recall, Casita hasn't added a model or made a significant design change since the introduction of the 17-foot model... which I don't think was in this century (interior furnishing changes may be the exception). The most recent Scamp model change (the introduction of the 19') was some time before that. The relative value of Canadian and U.S. currently was close to at par for much of the time since those model additions.

Both of these competing companies (Casita and Evelands) seem to have settled on what they have been building for decades as the only models of interest to them... and if those models suit a buyer, then those companies are providing good products for that right buyer - they certainly should have worked out any kinks by now. Asking what the effect would be of Casita building a 19' to 21' tandem seems to me to be a bit like asking what the impact on the world would be if it started to spin the other direction: interesting, but irrelevant to reality.

Quote:
... if the 2017 Escape price increase included rising costs associated with components sourced in USA & the current USA/CAD exchange rate being less than 1 to 1
One might guess so. Since Escape kept paying increased costs for imported materials and components for a long time before raising prices, it seems reasonable to me to expect that a return to previous pricing might take a long time, too.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:50 PM   #86

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
And some of us have stories about the wonderful customer service one of those other 2 firms offer[emoji849]

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:18 PM   #87

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
One might guess so. Since Escape kept paying increased costs for imported materials and components for a long time before raising prices, it seems reasonable to me to expect that a return to previous pricing might take a long time, too.
With the changes and upgrades to standard features that Escape is doing (though all details have yet to be revealed), a good percentage of that increase is irrespective of the exchange rates effect on pricing. For example, should the new windows cost Escape twice as much as the previous ones, that extra cost is included in the price increase. If these windows are sourced through a US company, and the Canadian dollar strengthens a bit, only a very small percentage of the price increase would be affected, not the entire upgrade amount.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:33 PM   #88

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Freespirit, that's what I've been wondering. Escape would have a backlog of items they've already purchased outside Canada so they couldn't drop the prices on that. It's really tricky for them.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:56 PM   #89

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Just in time ordering is what created Wal-Mart. As a cellphone retailer starting in 2011 when smartphones began to take off I was ordering daily rather than weekly to better manage inventory because prices and handsets were constantly changing...and there was no price protection or returns beyond a paltry amount.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:23 PM   #90

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
With the changes and upgrades to standard features that Escape is doing (though all details have yet to be revealed), a good percentage of that increase is irrespective of the exchange rates effect on pricing.
Good point - price drops due to the cost of imported goods would only match the rises due to the same magnitude of cost increases. Of course, over the last few years that's a meaningful fraction of the cost of the trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Just in time ordering is what created Wal-Mart. As a cellphone retailer starting in 2011 when smartphones began to take off I was ordering daily rather than weekly to better manage inventory because prices and handsets were constantly changing...and there was no price protection or returns beyond a paltry amount.
Just-in-time ordering offloads inventory management to the supplier, and requires transportation of variable small quantities of stock on demand. For huge companies such as Walmart (and auto manufacturers), they buy so much that they can force the supplier to absorb these costs, and the "small" daily quantities are still truckloads. For Escape, having each stovetop separately delivered doesn't seem reasonable or economically feasible. I'm guessing that they buy months of components and materials at a time.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:50 PM   #91

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
another random thought..
if the 2017 Escape price increase included rising costs associated with components sourced in USA & the current USA/CAD exchange rate being less than 1 to 1
HA! That's like asking if the airlines are gonna do away with all their extra surcharges that they claimed they needed to charge to cover the high fuel costs. But now with lower costs, are we seeing those charges go away? Nope!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:00 PM   #92

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
It is a difficult thing for a company to back a products base pricing down, but if CA $ does strengthen, and it ultimately will, you can reduce option prices or include popular options for no charge. Most folks probably have almost 30% of their final price in options and reducing the hit on that figure can lower the pricing without having to touch the base price if need be in the future.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:02 PM   #93

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
another random thought..

You do realize that ETI is a private company and can set their prices as they see fit regardless of what the exchange rate is or does.
As consumers we can choose if there is value for money in their product. Judging by the wait for their product we have determined there indeed is.

Cheers
Doug
Old 03-15-2016, 10:36 PM   #94

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
For huge companies such as Walmart (and auto manufacturers), they buy so much that they can force the supplier to absorb these costs, and the "small" daily quantities are still truckloads.
The operative word here being force. Don't even get me started on the Walmarts of the world driving small (supplier) operations out of business or creating a world of cheap and throw-away goods; low prices and even lower expectations. End of rant. Thank goodness, ETI does not follow this business model.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:39 AM   #95

Trailer: 17
Escape did lower their prices one year. The materials cost lowered so they lowered the trailer prices. Its in the archives. Reace and Tammy got in here and told us. They are the most honest people you can meet. A rare treat, we are very lucky to have them.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:10 AM   #96

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Will 2017 production be sold out on April 1st 2016?

Also, I was surprised how long it was before they raised their prices. The dollar differential was big and clearly not a fluctuation before they acted. You could see it had to happen. The changes to standard features will likely explain the portion of the increase exceeding the exchange rate. BTW the LED interior lighting was standardized since we got our trailer in May 2015. I can't wait for April 1st to come and see what other goodies are now included.
Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:14 AM   #97

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
The operative word here being force. Don't even get me started on the Walmarts of the world driving small (supplier) operations out of business or creating a world of cheap and throw-away goods; low prices and even lower expectations. End of rant. Thank goodness, ETI does not follow this business model.
Yay Karen.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:13 AM   #98

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone

We bought two Escape trailers, one in 2010 and another in 2013. I believe the 2010 exchange rate was close to par and the 2013 was not too far away. I would have liked current exchange rates, but we thought the price was good then due to quality and service and if we had to buy another we would because it would still be the best unit available regardless of exchange rates.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:45 PM   #99

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
I got my current issue of Trailer Life magazine yesterday and featured on the cover was a 23' Oliver fiberglass trailer made in Tennessee. Price as equipped was $57,000. Loren
Exactly why we did not even consider the Olivers. Even though they are a short 45 minute drive from us, and I drive by their factory about once a month.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:54 PM   #100

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
After reading this thread through several times and taking the sentiments expressed to their logical conclusion ,we have decided to go for an Oliver or Airstream trailer. It will wipe out a large portion of our retirement savings but what the heck you only live once.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote