Will 2017 production be sold out on April 1st 2016? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2016, 03:33 PM   #61
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm a saver, not a spender. I can't believe how much money I've saved myself over the years by not buying something I thought I wanted.

I live in the US, earn money in the US, budget in US dollars. I never once considered the exchange rate when buying my trailer and it wasn't nearly as good as now.

When I was working on the build sheet for Ten Forward, I had to put the brakes on somewhere. No A/C although wired for it, no solar wired for that too. No extra outside hatches, no shiny wheels. I just had the items done that I knew I wanted and would use now. The other things can wait. Maybe I'll need them later and maybe I won't. It's so easy to get carried away and add another $4-$5000 to the cost of a trailer. Will I enjoy Ten Forward less because it's not totally tricked out? Definitely not. Best of luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:51 PM   #62

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
(snip)At the old price and at the higher exchange rate we were at the limit of what we willing to spend on a luxury (Non Essential) purchase. Most people when purchasing any item have a price they are willing to spend for that item and Escape has surpassed our limit. I am in no way questioning anyone's decision to own or purchase an Escape Trailer. My point was that as Escape raises it's price, no matter how justified the price increase was and as the exchange rate gets less favorable for US customers, they will eventually reach a point of price resistance. We have viewed several Escapes and really like their trailers but there is a limit on what we are willing to spend on something that in our climate is only used 6 months out of a year. I would venture to say that I am not alone in believing that an Escape Trailer has risen to a price point where purchasing one is no longer in our / their future.
That's another reason we might stick with the 2016 version - can we afford that much more for the 2017? Yes, they will be pricing people out of the market, no doubt about that. We'll be stretching ourselves pretty darn thin over getting this trailer and a truck to pull it. It's gonna be tight for some time to come. (Never mind all the costs of outfitting the dang thing! Whew, it's like setting up your first apartment!)

Do we NEED this trailer? Nope, we don't. Do we (mostly *I*) want it? Yes. I want to vend at shows outside of my home territory and hopefully make more money. I want to travel around this wonderful country (both US and Canada; Baja may sneak in after the recent thread on that) and with all my food restrictions, I want to eat food without getting sick. Food that I can fix and control what's in each portion so nothing will surprise me.

My husband has seen lots of the world being his mom's sherpa on cruises and guided tours (she pays his way); now I want my turn to see the country as I'd never go on one of those cruises. He knows that and to ensure my better health (hopefully!), he's supporting my desire for this trailer.

Did I have depression era parents teaching me good money handling? Nope, too young for that. Yeah, their parents went through the depression, but that didn't carry down to my brother and I. We've taken out loans on every single new vehicle we've bought. We're not on the trailer, but that's only through a stroke of good luck and a few other things.

I feel very fortunate that we were able to order the trailer last December. If I were looking at 2017 or later (as I can only assume they'll continue going up in price) prices, I may not be able to say that.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:38 PM   #63

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
thank you for your perspective...Bigfoot is on my list to review also despite its cost and weight.
When we looked into buying the Bigfoot, the RV retailer who carried them no longer sold them. The owner of that RV business told me about Bigfoot going bankrupt and said they weren't confident they would have the same quality if they restarted. It made us pause and led us to discover the Escape trailers. Another Escape owner from Alberta told me he had owned a Bigfoot and had no help from customer service with his issues. I have personally had incredible support from ETI, including the owners Reace and Tammy!

Here is a line I read about the Bigfoot current quality:
"Sadly I am writing about the experiences I have had with my second Bigfoot truck camper. I used to feel that the Bigfoot campers were the "Cadillac" of campers but my second Bigfoot turned me into someone who believes they sell "lemons".
Read the full post here:
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Bigfoot

The post resulted in a flurry of responses stating that Bigfoot made quality products, but I didn't see any who had purchased a unit after they started up again, so I don't think their responses were relevant. The pre bankruptcy units were definitely quality builds. It could be this guy's problem camper was an anomaly but the fact that one of the biggest BC Bigfoot retailers no longer carries that brand is of more concern to me. I would look around for more evidence that they are back to where they were in quality before purchasing. To be fair, even our Escape 21 had a couple of minor problems when we picked it up, but Reace himself fixed one of the problems and the other they talked me through over the phone (rather than dragging our trailer out to Chilliwack).

So, I wish you well in your pursuit of a new trailer Freespirit, whether it is a Bigfoot, Oliver, Escape or stick built. I just wanted you to be aware of possible quality issues since Bigfoot started up business again. I would love to learn that what I previously heard is bunk. Until recently there were 2 Bigfoot trailers on our very short street, none of them new.

I also wonder at what the US dollar has done to Bigfoot pricing, as they are made in BC as well.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:44 PM   #64

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
One of the issues with a new Bigfoot trailer for a US buyer is that since they don't sell direct and use a US dealer network as well as CA dealers, you don't receive any exchange rate on the pricing. Puts them at a huge disadvantage against an Escape trailer in a pricing comparison for US buyers.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:05 PM   #65

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
One of the issues with a new Bigfoot trailer for a US buyer is that since they don't sell direct and use a US dealer network as well as CA dealers, you don't receive any exchange rate on the pricing. Puts them at a huge disadvantage against an Escape trailer in a pricing comparison for US buyers.
Thank you for your responses and have not researched Bigfoot that much but I did really like their 25B21FB layout. Did price it recently and if the quality was there, did not seem unreasonable with the exchange rate and delivery included. Escape seems to have no current interest in at least one alternate floor plan on the 21 and the current floor plan doesn't appeal. So that leaves the Escape 19 for this camper if buying an Escape. Not in a hurry so doesn't hurt to do more research, even if putting a deposit on an Escape ended up being written off as a loss next year. Also it seems to this trailer newbie that the trailer industry may be in a tech transition, those mfg that do it the old way of doing things with little or no apparent design engineering and documentation versus some mfg doing their whole design in 3D Cad first, which if nothing else can help a mfg improve,refine and advance their products quicker. Even with what some refer to as Stick trailers, there are those that are using modern materials and manufacturing techniques versus those that are stuck in the past and keep making something sloppy.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:05 PM   #66

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
The exchange rate would apply to a Bigfoot as well, but at the wholesale level (the cost of the trailer to the U.S. dealer)... unless BigfootRV has chosen to suggest a U.S. list price that doesn't reflect economic reality. If U.S. buyers of Bigfoot trailers pay too much, then as a Canadian buyer of U.S.-made good I can sympathize.

The closest Bigfoot model to any Escape is the 25B21RB (21-foot rear bedroom), which is like an Escape 21 (but with the ends reversed in the floorplan). BigfootRV lists their dealers, but apparently does not publish pricing on their website, so I don't know how they are handling pricing.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:27 PM   #67
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Other than the fact there's not enough counter space in the 19' (for ME and my big sink ) I could have found the layout changed to a front bed very doable.

I wonder if Anne did that? She's an artist and I would think she'd love the rear to be a big dinette...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:57 PM   #68

Trailer: Escape 21NE (our third Escape)
YIKES! I'm going to buy an Escape because I believe that the value is there - even WITH the recent price increase. What I was pondering was how the recent price increase would affect sales vs capacity. It was more of a business question rather than me grousing about the price increase. ANYTIME you have people standing in line to buy your product your price is too low. (oh, dear - I can smell the tar and feathers now)
Richard in Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:13 PM   #69

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I've seen a few examples in my life where production could not keep up with demand usually for a short lived time period. Whether it was a popularity phenomenon, lack of raw materials used in production or whatever. I know that at times this led to price gouging but there are also any number of honorable companies who publicly acknowledged the shortage, asked for patience and did not raise prices. I think the quality of a product over time is recognized and results in customers either being willing to wait or looking elsewhere. Once Escape gets their production capability up where they project it is possible and the back orders are worked out, a true picture for that point in time will become clear. Successful companies are always looking to the future and those who anticipate trends before they become apparent to everyone else find great success. It's still as true today as it was in the American Civil War, you gotta be the firstest with the mostest.
Dave
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:05 PM   #70

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Speaking of supply and demand, one of the southern states passes a law against gouging customers in an emergency, to stop people from bringing in generators and charging premium prices for them.
So, next emergency, there wasn't a generator, or any other emergency supplies, to be had in the entire state.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:10 PM   #71

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Sump pumps get that way too in flood areas as well as chainsaws in tornado alley.
There's a special place in the afterlife for gougers. Has to do with ice water.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:21 PM   #72

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Problem is, government outsmarted themselves. No gouging, but no equipment that was dearly needed.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:27 AM   #73
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Speaking of supply and demand, one of the southern states passes a law against gouging customers in an emergency, to stop people from bringing in generators and charging premium prices for them.
So, next emergency, there wasn't a generator, or any other emergency supplies, to be had in the entire state.
The law of unintended consequences. Seems we see that everywhere nowadays. Meaning well doesn't mean a good outcome.

Economic ignorance is, unfortunately, widepsread. Here's an article by one of my favorite economists on the subject of 'gouging'.

http://townhall.com/columnists/thoma...rida/page/full
Old 03-15-2016, 10:37 AM   #74

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
" I HAVE NO ISSUE WITH THE QUALITY OF ESCAPE TRAILER'S "
The concept of value is a personnal decision. . Rolls Royse builds a quality vehicle and it may be of great value but I have no intention of buying one.. At the old price and at the higher exchange rate we were at the limit of what we willing to spend on a luxury ( Non Essential) purchase..Most people when purchasing any item have a price they are willing to spend for that item and Escape has surpassed our limit. I am in no way questioning anyone's decision to own or purchase an Escape Trailer. My point was that as Escape raises it's price ,no matter how justified the price increase was and
as the exchange rate gets less favorable for US customers , they will eventually reach a point of price resistance .. We have viewed several Escapes and really like their trailers but there is a limit on what we are willing to spend on something that in our climate is only used 6 months out of a year. I would venture to say that I am not alone in believing that an Escape Trailer has risen to a price point where purchasing one is no longer in our / their future.
Given the current exchange rate, an Escape is fairly comparable in price with a Casita, even with their recent price increase. It is the Canadian customers who are currently bearing the brunt of price increases. But valid point if echange rate becomes less favorable for US customers.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:40 PM   #75

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I got my current issue of Trailer Life magazine yesterday and featured on the cover was a 23' Oliver fiberglass trailer made in Tennessee. Price as equipped was $57,000. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:50 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
I got my current issue of Trailer Life magazine yesterday and featured on the cover was a 23' Oliver fiberglass trailer made in Tennessee. Price as equipped was $57,000. Loren
design engineering and engineers ain't cheap!
ducking head now....
Old 03-15-2016, 05:05 PM   #77

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
design engineering and engineers ain't cheap!
ducking head now....
Don't duck . Trailer if you can swing it , is worth it . Base price is 48,000. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:33 PM   #78

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That equals over $76,000 canadian dollars or 2 of their models, with options.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:06 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Don't duck . Trailer if you can swing it , is worth it . Base price is 48,000. Pat
I duck only because I ain't wearing a helmet while surfing this forum!

checked 23 Ollie out some..lot of pros but not without a few cons like anything else.
I can't help but wonder what the impact if any of Rice Texas sales would be on Escape sales if the exchange rate was 1 to 1 and if Rice Texas had any interest in offering a tandem axle trailer either 19 and /or a 21 with some improvements and even while lacking the Escapes custom ability.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:31 PM   #80

another random thought..
if the 2017 Escape price increase included rising costs associated with components sourced in USA & the current USA/CAD exchange rate being less than 1 to 1
...if the exchange rate creeps back to 1 to 1 will the Escape price decrease?