Will Honda 1000? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2018, 08:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Will Honda 1000?

Electrical is not my forte.
Planning ahead for a power failure this winter, might my Honda EU1000i generator be capable of running a 1,500 watt electric heater at 750 watt or half power? I also have a 850 watt oil filled heater. Any joy with that one?
Old 11-16-2018, 09:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Should work Glenn although the 850 will be close as the Honda 1000 is rated at 900 continuous watts.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:59 PM   #3

I do know that the genset will start on the first pull after a friend, who used to repair small engines for a living, cleaned the carb. He says the carb was full of water and it could only come from one place, the gas pump where I bought it.
The problem is that I relied on Stabil instead of draining the gas tank and the carb at the end of camping season.

After multiple flushes and a sonic cleaning of the carb, he filled the gas tank with Aspen fuel ( about $36 a gallon ). It doesn't take much to fill the Honda gas tank. It's supposed to be good for a couple years before problems with stale fuel.
I've found that stale gas, poured on bamboo, takes care of that problem too.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda carb.jpg  
Old 11-16-2018, 10:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Draining the fuel at the end of the season for about any gas engine that isn’t going to be run before the next seasons is a very good idea. I use a clear plastic hose to siphon the fuel out of the tank and start it up and run it completely dry. Then if the machine needs further winterization like a pressure washer I take care of that. On rigs with a large tank and battery start I make sure the battery is charged and put a battery tender on it after checking the cells for water. Then I start the engine and run it awile about once a month. Stabil is a good product but can only do so much. I use fogging oil on my outboard engine at the end of the season. I think the Honda 1000 will probably run the oil heater as it has a thermostat but not a “hard start” or heavy load fluctuation. Honda 2800 generators are 67 lbs and run 12 hours on 2.1 gallons of fuel. You can pick one up for about a thousand bucks right now. They have a 30 amp plug on them and would run your camper AC and more.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-16-2018, 10:49 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
A good thing about electric heaters is that they don't require a big surge of current when starting, the way electric motors (such as in air conditioners) do. So yes, if you can stand the little engine running nearly flat-out, it should run either of the heaters without trouble, as long as you stay at reasonable elevations (get high enough, and the engine may not have enough power, especially with little margin as Doug mentioned).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:01 PM   #6

According to MotionX GPS, I'm at 149 feet, so I should be OK at the house. Just have to watch for the tsunami.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:55 AM   #7

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Yes you will have sufficient power with the 1000 to do it. Close to capacity but okay. I use my Honda 2000 for the same purpose periodically.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:34 AM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Draining the fuel at the end of the season for about any gas engine that isn’t going to be run before the next seasons is a very good idea. I use a clear plastic hose to siphon the fuel out of the tank and start it up and run it completely dry.
The newer Honda EU2200i has a fuel shutoff feature that allows the carb to run dry. I assume that this combined with some Stabil in the tank for the off-season would avoid what Glenn experienced. I agree that the best solution would be to empty the small onboard tank and start with some fresh fuel in the spring.
Attached Thumbnails
F21B7962-3278-4294-A5D8-1D7E36F693AA.jpg  
Old 11-17-2018, 07:40 AM   #9

I installed a tri-fuel conversion kit on my EU2000 Honda. No problems with the carb anymore, we just run it on propane. Nice and clean and very convenient. An added benefit is it was easy to find tanks of propane when all the gas stations were out of gasoline during a few hurricanes.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:59 AM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
A good thing about electric heaters is that they don't require a big surge of current when starting, the way electric motors (such as in air conditioners) do. So yes, if you can stand the little engine running nearly flat-out, it should run either of the heaters without trouble, as long as you stay at reasonable elevations (get high enough, and the engine may not have enough power, especially with little margin as Doug mentioned).
I once ran a 1500W electric pizza oven on my campsite so a family could have dinner. They thought their state park site would have electric power but were wrong. The Honda 2000 (1600W continuous; 2000W maximum) ran hard, but got the job done. You just need to get used to it backing way down when the element turns off and ramping up to near the 5000 rpm maximum speed with element on. The good news is that any of the Hondas will tell you if you are overloaded. Picture is of a EU1000i like Glenn has.
Attached Thumbnails
D2FC5E6C-AE66-47E7-83DA-935059C1EDE0.jpg  
Old 11-17-2018, 09:26 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Actually, an electric heater does draw a start up surge. Not as high as that of an air conditioner, but the cold heater element will draw more current until it warms up. I had that problem with a 750 watt heater that would not run on a 1000 watt inverter (I was using it as a temporary load; not as a way to make heat).

Before I depended on it, I'd give it a try...
Old 11-17-2018, 10:44 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Glenn,
Just order some firewood to keep you warm... it will heat you twice, once when splitting and again when burning.....
Old 11-17-2018, 11:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Actually, an electric heater does draw a start up surge. Not as high as that of an air conditioner, but the cold heater element will draw more current until it warms up.
True, but much lower than with a motor... and the resistive load (no reactance) doesn't cause the current to be out of phase with the voltage, so it's not hard for the generator to manage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Before I depended on it, I'd give it a try...
Sure, but the generator has a substantial surge margin, so I wouldn't expect this to be an issue.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:14 AM   #14

I would have to add a 25' extension cord, running through a window. That going to cause a problem?
Old 11-17-2018, 12:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I would have to add a 25' extension cord, running through a window. That going to cause a problem?
No problem unless you use an inappropriately light-gauge cord, such as 16-gauge. Your home's 15-amp outlets are all supplied by long runs of 14-gauge cable built into the house, and if you're choosing a cord to suit the purpose 12-gauge cords are readily available.