Willing to share your build sheet? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2017, 10:35 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That is what happens when we get old, Dave, we need help...
Old 01-15-2017, 10:38 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
More questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
richardr,
In my first 19, the queen mattress was "squeezed" into the space, making it hard to make the bed, change the linens and the dreaded condensation issues. I conferred with Escape and they are now making the mattress smaller in the 19 to allow air around the mattress. On the 21, the area also needed some space around the exterior walls, thus the request for the 2" difference.
The stock 2 captain lights over the bed were not used that much, the one over the night stand and over the kitchen cabinet was helpful at night when letting the dogs out to see the exterior steps. The 2 in the rear dinette were used a lot as the stock lights were not too bright. That said, Escape is not using new lights which are much brighter. If I were getting another 21, I'd just get one over the bed, one over the rear dinette and one over the door and one over the night stand. Total of 2 extras.
I also got something like 4 extra 12v outlets and a couple of 120v outlets. If you plan on an electric heater under the bed, plan ahead for that.
Thanks for the reply. Here are some follow-up questions.

The captain's light over the door. Is that attached to the end of the upper kitchen cabinet? Does it light up the stairs better than the outside light?

I had not thought of an electric heater under the bed? Is yours permanently mounted? Is this to keep the black tank from freezing?

We are planning on visiting ETI before completing our build sheet. I've added to our list of things to check, the snugness of the mattress.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:58 AM   #23

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Our trailer was built in August of 2015 and the mattress is perfect in my opinion. When it is tight against the bathroom wall there is probably 2 inches of space against the outer wall and the same at the head without any hangover at the foot. This was discussed with several other forum members and we came to the conclusion that ETI started to downsize the mattress somewhere in that time frame. You do need some space or condensation becomes an issue on the outer wall in cold temps. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:32 PM   #24

I tend to agree with you, Loren, after making some adjustments to customers units ETI seems to agree with what was being done and started doing that as standard.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:19 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Richard

It would be easier to list what your not getting.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:52 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I take it that this is the list you are working on, but a number of these items have not been approved by Escape?

We have the standard 12v/120v outlets at the foot of the bed and our counter extension is over those, so have to lift it to use them if it is down.

They may not approve a few of these such as locations for exterior outlets, battery and solar situation, plug or others.(unless they have already.) There are others you list that are not standard options and will have to be approved.

The captain's lights are great at the bed and they no doubt would be nice elsewhere.

You just have to go over this on the items that are not standard options to have them approve them and the placements. You can ask them about any of those things now.

You have one great big list that should serve you well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
Here is a copy of our current build sheet. As you can tell, it is still a work in progress.
  • 3 burner stove with oven (does this include stainless steel hood?)
  • External fridge fan
  • Microwave
  • Foot flush toilet
  • Winterizing T valve
  • External shower with 15’ hose. Install on passenger side above the wheels?
  • Exterior 12v outlet aft of wheels on passenger’s side
  • Have 12 volt drops in the following cabinet for lights ($25 each): Under bed, under sink, above sink, above back of dinette, bed side just forward of drawer stack (5 drops) (Not Under both dinette seats, Not under back dinette seat unless I add external access) (Both sides of dinette, head of bed and bed driver’s side already have 12v drops for the bed reading lights?)
  • Place the standard 12V/USB interior and one standard 120v outlet to just above drawer stack hinged counter top at foot of bed
  • With the TV 120 volt outlet in overhead cabinet just forward of drawer stack closet, move outlet #4 to the cabinet at the head of the bed on the passenger’s side.
  • 2 additional 120v outlets. 1) on the 45 degree slanted part at foot of the bed. 2) Driver’s side of dinette seat toward the back of the trailer across from outlet #2.
  • 1 additional external 120 volt external outlet on passenger’s side just aft of the door (want one outlet just aft of the door and the other on the rear side of the wheel well near the external hatch to the storage area below the dinette seat)
  • Dual 6 volt batteries. (Standard is a single 12v battery.)
  • Inverter with transfer switch
  • 160 watt solar panel with charge controller
  • Wires connected at the solar panel input to the solar controller and run down under the driver’s side dinette seat for a future portable solar panel.
  • Install a second electrical cord hatch under driver’s side dinette seat near the back of the trailer for a future portable solar panel wire.
  • Surge protector
  • 3 additional exterior LED lights. 1) Front installed as high as possible, 2) Back installed as high as possible. 3) Driver’s side above the water and sewer connections
  • 2 LED Captains reading lamps for rear corners of dinette
  • LED Awning white light strip.
  • 3 switches inside the front door to control 5 lights. 1) Control the light on passengers side by the door. 2) Control the front, back and driver’s side exterior lights. 2) Control the overhead interior light Is one of these switches standard or all optional?
  • AC
  • Wireless backup camera connected to trailer tail lights for power.
  • Stereo/DVD with 4 speakers.
  • Jack TV Antenna and cable ready with TV 120 volt outlet in overhead cabinet forward of drawer stack closet.
  • Extra insulation and frame-less thermal windows (rear window opens)
  • Frame-less Bathroom window
  • High lift axle
  • Kitchen Counter extension at forward end by door
  • 2 additional exterior hatches 1) into space under passenger dinette seat, 2) into space under driver’s dinette seat for connecting additional solar and other cables coming in through the second electrical hatch
  • Exterior propane connection with 12 foot hose
  • 12v heat pads and foam insulation under trailer
  • 2 shelves in wardrobe closet below microwave of equal distance
  • Storage box in front of trailer. Do not put batteries in it.
  • Custom Flooring. Please return left over material
  • Custom Formica (trim color - black). Please return left over material.
  • Custom Fabric - supplying 25 yards. Please cover all sides of cushions with fabric, (no vinyl) and return unused material.
  • U shaped Dinette
  • Full hight cabinet on drawer stack with counter extension
  • 2 shelves in the full height cabinet with equal distance between
  • Additional door to under bed storage
  • Outside graphic color - gray or silver
  • 1 inch ball on the trailer hitch to be used with anti-sway bar I already have
  • 4 pin plug near receiver at rear bumper
  • Toilet shut off valve
  • Second sewer tube holder
  • Propane tanks filled
  • X - Chocks
  • Fridge storage bars
  • Hitch lock
  • Please don’t mount fire extinguisher. I will replace it with a larger one.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:26 PM   #27

Nancy, you probably had a bunch of build sheets with various changes. Every time we would add an item, we were given a new build sheet so that we had many of them, all different. When you have the final one, you need to go through carefully, maybe using the old ones, to see that everything is there. Also need to see that any nonstandard options have the correct information. Things get dropped. Our A/C disappeared at one point (we never made any change to that). People have made changes that somehow did not make it to their final build sheet. Need to go over it carefully.

Any unusual or nonstandard options or changes you want should all have been done prior to signing, when it is due, items and their placements approved in advance.

They are reading that build sheet as they build your trailer. After all of your time putting the build sheet together, they actually build the trailer very quickly. You need to look at it that way and see to it that everything is there.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:49 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Cathy, As far as I can remember, I asked about all the non-standard options on the build sheet to get the price. However I've not gone over things like the specific placement of outlets, lights and the 12v wiring.

We are planning to visit ETI the end of Feb. At that time I hope to go through the model 21 and see exactly where we want each item then sit down with someone to finalize the build sheet. I don't plan on getting any build sheet updates until then. I don't want to go through the frustration of checking to see if everything was brought forward from the last build sheet.

There are several options I wanted but I was told they were unavailable. One is a double step for the entrance, like we have on our Casita. Another is a curtain around the foot of the bed. There was also heat tape on the exposed dump piping. At least these will give me something to do after taking delivery of the trailer.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:39 PM   #29

I cannot stress enough for anyone else that there are 21's and other models in everyone's region where no visit is needed to Escape. The owners can give information that you will not get at Escape. Of course, Escape has to decide what they want to approve on certain items and no one else can do that. But that does not take a visit.

Since you will be full-timing, it is a more important purchase to you and you want to make the visit. Since you are able and want to go, then that is good for you. When they say though, that you cannot do this and this while visiting, are you going to decide on the spot what you will do? I expect you will have further time to decide.

You will have the very same consideration with the build sheet except that you will be discussing many items in person instead of in writing. You are not saving yourself any frustration on the build sheet because you then have to see that what they said they would do is on the build sheet. There were items that they would not put on our build sheet but said that they would do. They said so in e-mails instead.

Of course, many talk to Escape on the phone about their options also. That is especially the case with some nonstandard items.

On the items that they will not do, they are doing less and less these days in consideration of their production line moving along. They have their big backlog to try to address.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:26 AM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
I cannot stress enough for anyone else that there are 21's and other models in everyone's region where no visit is needed to Escape.
This is true, BUT it makes a wonderful trip. We have done it with both the 19 and the 5.0TA, and have made a fun trip out of it. Vancouver is a great place to spend a bit of getaway time visiting. Lunch with baglo is not so bad either.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:54 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
This is true, BUT it makes a wonderful trip. We have done it with both the 19 and the 5.0TA, and have made a fun trip out of it. Vancouver is a great place to spend a bit of getaway time visiting. Lunch with baglo is not so bad either.
Yes, nice for those of you who are "close" compared to NS, NY, Florida, or Texas.
Who's paying?
Old 01-16-2017, 10:14 AM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Yes, nice for those of you who are "close" compared to NS, NY, Florida, or Texas.
Who's paying?
I never said you have to believe me, but I think it is a great trip for anyone. I have been to NYC three times now, a cheaper flight for those closer, but I had to pay. Do you think Vancouver area not worthy of a visit?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:42 AM   #33

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
Here is a copy of our current build sheet. As you can tell, it is still a work in progress.
have a one ton tow truck to pull it?...
just kidding...may as well get what you want

..this camper is still trying to justify the leap from packing lite for backpacking to a trailer.....
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:47 AM   #34

Quote:
I tend to agree with you, Loren, after making some adjustments to customers units ETI seems to agree with what was being done and started doing that as standard.
so are you saying in your 2nd gen 19 the queen bed is not standard queen dimensions?...when this camper inquired to ETI they responded with standard queen dimensions..so maybe the bed space itself has increased in 2nd gen 19?
Old 01-16-2017, 10:51 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
so are you saying in your 2nd gen 19 the queen bed is not standard queen dimensions?...when this camper inquired to ETI they responded with standard queen dimensions..so maybe the bed space itself has increased in 2nd gen 19?
Do not know, but I do know there is more space around it than my original 2012 Escape 19 and that is what I wanted, more air between the wall and the mattress.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:56 AM   #36

Quote:
Do not know, but I do know there is more space around it than my original 2012 Escape 19 and that is what I wanted, more air between the wall and the mattress.
agree the air space is needed..maybe the straighter side walls of 2nd gen has provided some space...was unaware they would possibly decrease the size of a standard mattress....thought they just buy a standard size queen at the mattress store for the 19...so for the 19 thought the only option for more air space was to request a standard Full size mattress rather than the queen.
another email to ETI...
Old 01-16-2017, 10:59 AM   #37

Quote:
agree the air space is needed..was unaware they would decrease the size of a standard mattress as mentioned in some post..thought they just buy a standard size queen at the mattress store for the 19...
another email to ETI...
They may not have decreased the mattress but increased the space in the new model, it is still a queen mattress and queen linens work. Also queen and king size beds in rv's sometimes are different than residential mattress sizes.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:16 AM   #38

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
I never said you have to believe me, but I think it is a great trip for anyone. I have been to NYC three times now, a cheaper flight for those closer, but I had to pay. Do you think Vancouver area not worthy of a visit?

Oh my...it is beautiful country! Last year, we spent a month between Vancouver and Whistler. We enjoyed it immensely!

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:09 PM   #39

Quote:
I have been to the Vancouver area and loved it. Of course, if flying and one has lots of flyer miles, that would be much more reasonable on time and money. I would not drive from the Midwest even, or closer, for a build sheet.

A trip all the way there to pick up, one can see Vancouver or anywhere then, no need for another trip. Been to Quebec though, Toronto and Ottawa and much more in between. We saw a good deal in BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba with our 21', so many fantastic sights.

Everyone does not have the time and money. Also, it seems your build will be quite different from most others from what you say.

I mean, if Glenn pays for lunch, that's worth it!
Old 01-16-2017, 01:34 PM   #40

Quote:
It will be close to standard queen dimensions. Our bed at home is off a few inches and we weren't even getting something for condensation on the walls!