Willing to share your build sheet? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2017, 01:36 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
My build sheet is WAY to convoluted to share. I chose probably way less options than most, and eliminated a lot of standard items too. A few of my extras would only make sense to me too (and hopefully to Escape as well).
Yes, I could tell that. You are able to do anything yourself after picking up which most here cannot do.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:40 PM   #42

This is a point for those doing their build sheets. There are many people on here who have been contractors, carpenters, electricians, IT people, chefs, engineers, and they, of course, want all kinds of items and changes that the rest of us would not think of nor want. So just because you see it here, be advised that you may not need it a bit!!

Then again, there may be something useful for many others.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:48 PM   #43

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
You got that right Cathy....for some these trailers are another Erector set. One electrical contractor told me he couldn't leave it alone.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:10 PM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
You got that right Cathy....for some these trailers are another Erector set. One electrical contractor told me he couldn't leave it alone.
Here is a renovation contractor saying the same thing too, Ross. Is the nature of the beast that got me into the business in the first place.

One can be like my brother and his new 19 (that is still sitting at Escape) who is just happy doing nothing, 'cause he has my number on speed dial.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:12 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Oh my...it is beautiful country! Last year, we spent a month between Vancouver and Whistler. We enjoyed it immensely!
Lots to do there, I still have a ton to discover. So many other places on the continent too that have great things to see.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-16-2017, 02:13 PM   #46

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 aka "Bon Temps"
Quote:
Here is a renovation contractor saying the same thing too, Ross. Is the nature of the beast that got me into the business in the first place.

One can be like my brother and his new 19 (that is still sitting at Escape) who is just happy doing nothing, 'cause he has my number on speed dial.
Must be nice having you for a brother. And on speed dial, no less. Fast service and prices that can't be beat. I should be so lucky.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:23 PM   #47

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Give me that number again will yah?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:40 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike & Donna View Post
Must be nice having you for a brother. And on speed dial, no less. Fast service and prices that can't be beat. I should be so lucky.
I never said I was cheap!

Actually, I will be helping him a bit with a few things. I do charge him for all the work I have done on his house over the years though, but he sure has a nice house now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Give me that number again will yah?
For sure, it is 403-438-5678 (get lost)!
Old 01-18-2017, 04:14 PM   #49

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
This is a point for those doing their build sheets. There are many people on here who have been contractors, carpenters, electricians, IT people, chefs, engineers, and they, of course, want all kinds of items and changes that the rest of us would not think of nor want. So just because you see it here, be advised that you may not need it a bit!!

Then again, there may be something useful for many others.
Yes, Cathy I am still considering if I need an inverter?!?
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:19 PM   #50

So if I don't have solar or an inverter, is there still away to boon dock for 4 or5 days or more?
I know the cowboys did it somehow, right? but they weren't a sissy like me.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:34 PM   #51

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
With solar and dual six volts you can go for a long time without hookups. If you plan it correctly, everything but the a/c can be operated off 12v or propane. You can cook off propane, heat your water and trailer with propane and even keep your food cold with propane. Your lights are 12v as well as any radio or tv, all in one package. Inverters are for those that have to have a 120v appliance, such as microwave or coffee machine. I have both 120v or stove top coffee makers as well as over the campfire coffee percolator, just like the cowboys did as you mentioned.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:43 PM   #52

Thanks JIM, that is good to know. We won't be doing solar because we live in baseball hail country. I have experienced it myself. Cars were totaled and none anywhere to rent, because they were totaled too.
What about charging phones and laptops, do we need an inverter for that?
Old 01-18-2017, 04:45 PM   #53

Jim maybe we do a portable solar. What kind of wiring do we need to get done to do that?
Nancy
Old 01-18-2017, 05:17 PM   #54

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
Thanks JIM, that is good to know. We won't be doing solar because we live in baseball hail country. I have experienced it myself. Cars were totaled and none anywhere to rent, because they were totaled too.
Solar panels are pretty tough. I may be wrong (far from the first time ) but I think hail large enough to damage the solar panels is also going to damage the trailer itself. Did your Casita go undamaged by those storms?

Phones can be charged with 12v adapters, same kind you would use in your car, and if you know the volage/current your laptop charger provides, you will most likely be able to find a 12V charger for it on Amazon.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:51 PM   #55

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Exactly, if it damages the panel your vent and a/c shroud will be gone as well as damage to the shell. Just make sure your insurance covers hail and you will be fine, get the solar from the factory. Most of your laptops use USB and they are already in the trailer and ready to use. If you do need 120v for something small they have plug in units, into the 12v round outlets, again already installed.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:58 PM   #56

Quote:
We won't be doing solar because we live in baseball hail country. I have experienced it myself. Cars were totaled and none anywhere to rent, because they were totaled too.
Nancy, we had the trailer in Texas for four and a half months in the last year. There was an absolutely awful hail storm and I was sure from the sound of it that the panel must be in pieces and the roof full of gashes. Nothing. No sign of it. There must be other Texas Escapes with solar. If damaged, we would like to hear about it. Of course, we could be damaged later.

We have the two 6vs and solar and inverter. The inverter can be used for the microwave but not too long, and same for a hairdryer which can be put on a low setting, or any other high-draws. Quite a few Escape owners are glad to have that inverter and use it.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:26 PM   #57

Quote:
So if I don't have solar or an inverter, is there still away to boon dock for 4 or5 days or more?
I know the cowboys did it somehow, right? but they weren't a sissy like me.
We have done 4 days and 3 nights where temperatures dropped a bit below freezing every night, and never had solar, and have had dual 6V batteries last fine. We did keep the furnace (the largest power draw under these conditions) off during the day, and turned down to 10C at night, and up to room temp for a bit in the morning and evening. Lights and water pump are about the only other draw, and use was kept minimal. We never used an inverter as they are not needed, but if desired can be a good luxury. Never actually measured the voltage drop, but at times it got down to the last 1/3 level indicator on the control panel.

We have done 6 days and 5 nights in warm weather where the furnace ran very little, and the batteries held up solid.

Any use of solar will only improve upon this.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:09 PM   #58

Thanks for all the wonderful information. It is really putting my mind at ease as I decide what we are to do. The reason I mention the hail was because I was in a hailstorm a few years ago and the hail was the size of the large eggs. I was doing a quilting booth in a large Convention center that had hundreds of large solar panels on the roof. The hail came down very heavily for 20 minutes and I could hear the smashing glass from the solar panels on the roof. It cost our city thousands. Many were without transportation for weeks. My car had $9000 worth of damages and was full of glass shards. I couldn't even rent a car because all the rental places also had their cars damaged It was pretty tough times for much of our city. Fortunately a teenager from my church loaned me her little red truck.But it's good to hear that these panels can be pretty tough. I think I would still opt for portable ones. There is a funny saying in our town. If you don't like the color of your roof don't worry about it. You will get to change it it a couple years. I want to thank everybody for all your help.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:11 PM   #59

Quote:
We have done 4 days and 3 nights where temperatures dropped a bit below freezing every night, and never had solar, and have had dual 6V batteries last fine. We did keep the furnace (the largest power draw under these conditions) off during the day, and turned down to 10C at night, and up to room temp for a bit in the morning and evening. Lights and water pump are about the only other draw, and use was kept minimal. We never used an inverter as they are not needed, but if desired can be a good luxury. Never actually measured the voltage drop, but at times it got down to the last 1/3 level indicator on the control panel.

We have done 6 days and 5 nights in warm weather where the furnace ran very little, and the batteries held up solid.

Any use of solar will only improve upon this.

Thanks for all of your good advice Jim.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:26 PM   #60

Quote:
Thanks for all the wonderful information. It is really putting my mind at ease as I decide what we are to do. The reason I mention the hail was because I was in a hailstorm a few years ago and the hail was the size of the large eggs. I was doing a quilting booth in a large Convention center that had hundreds of large solar panels on the roof. The hail came down very heavily for 20 minutes and I could hear the smashing glass from the solar panels on the roof. It cost our city thousands. Many were without transportation for weeks. My car had $9000 worth of damages and was full of glass shards. I couldn't even rent a car because all the rental places also had their cars damaged It was pretty tough times for much of our city. Fortunately a teenager from my church loaned me her little red truck.But it's good to hear that these panels can be pretty tough. I think I would still opt for portable ones. There is a funny saying in our town. If you don't like the color of your roof don't worry about it. You will get to change it it a couple years. I want to thank everybody for all your help.
Did your insurance company not cover this under comprehensive?