Wishes and Regrets - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2017, 12:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 (One Life...Live It)
Wishes and Regrets

My wife and I are working on our build sheet for a 21' we are wondering if anyone has regretted getting an option or wishing they had gotten mote options?
Fun&Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
We pretty much ordered most of the options available at the time and even though we haven't used some of them, they are there if we want them. The only mistake I feel we made is getting only one shelf in the wardrobe, 10 inches from the bottom. I would go with 2 or even 3 if doing it today, I know I can always add them later but I am a big stickler about having accessories factory installed rather than doing them later. But the biggest thing in getting everything so perfect for us was all of the advice found on this forum. Without it, I think it would have really been botched. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:16 PM   #3

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
The only mistake I feel we made is getting only one shelf in the wardrobe, 10 inches from the bottom. I would go with 2 or even 3 if doing it today
We got 2 shelves and I really like it. I think they have nice spacing and it's been perfect for the things I'm wadding in there.

One thing I would have liked that I never thought of, so I don't know if they do it. Add a second undercounter light in the kitchen. I really like LOTS of light when I'm cooking. I was never able to see the trailers with power when we were at ETI, so I didn't realize another light would have been nice. We got two magnetic ones to put under the hood, which should help a bit.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:20 PM   #4

Thank you for your input, this form has been invaluable in helping to choose options and gain information. We are looking for ideas, we will be doing some camping in paid camp grounds some free camping and visiting rec sites through out BC and other provinces. We plan to head South next winter for 3 or more months.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
If you were to read through previous threads on options, and even ones discussing just this topic, you will see a broad spectrum of options that some like, and others don't care to have. That said, only you can decide what is best for you. And don't forget, that most options are doable after the fact if one decides later that they are needed. A thermal package is one that is not doable, dual fuel water heater upgrade would just be a waste of money, and a few other things, but not much.

I would bet if folks were honest, there are likely WAY more options added and not used than ones they really wish they had of got. For me, options I am getting this time for the most part were not even available in 2009.

Ones I got in our first trailer, and would not do again are;
- Built in stereo, as it does no good for outside where we usually are wanting to listen, and technology rapidly changes. I love listening to music, but our bluetooth speaker does well for that, as well as boosting sound for our TV.
- Exterior shower on drivers side (not convenient for our use, but I am going to install one - one the passenger side in our 5.0.

Things I am adding to the 5.0 that we did not have in the 19 are;
- Air Conditioning - would have used it maybe 6-10 times in 6 years with the 19, but getting it in anticipation of travelling to hot places.
- Solar Ready so I can do whatever I wish for solar. Solar was not even available when I bought in 2009.
- Removable power cord. Was not available when we bought either, but I added it later and much prefer it.
- Surge protector. Again, was not available, but you know, just in case.....
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
We got 2 shelves and I really like it. I think they have nice spacing and it's been perfect for the things I'm wadding in there.

One thing I would have liked that I never thought of, so I don't know if they do it. Add a second undercounter light in the kitchen......
You mean under upper cabinet lights? We have two: one over the sink and one about 8" left of the range hood. You only have one light illuminating the counter?
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:37 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Only regret - not ordering sooner!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:38 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Only regret - not ordering sooner!
Good one!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:01 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Many factory options can be adied at a later date by the owner.
If one has the time , skill , tools , knowledge than doing it yourself may make sense if not having Escape perform the installation may be a better route. We have done several owner mods that were available factory options to our trailer and after adding up the cost of the parts and placing some value for my labor ,there was little or no real cost savings . Everyone has different ideas about what is useful , we like our dual fuel water heater and have added a built in stereo .
We do not have any factory options that we wish we did not buy , but there are several factory options we wish we would have purchased. We do not have the electric tongue jack and now that my arthritis has gotten worse , I wish we did . As I get older there are many options that when I was younger were not necessary and now they would be very useful.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:14 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
The only option we didn't buy was the solar. I figured that the trailer would probably be in the shade most of the time when parked and the TV charges it when traveling. Of course, the wife was adamant that she had to have at least electric/water when camping - after the build sheet was final, she says Quartzite would be fun. Go figure

Well, I can always go portable!
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:28 PM   #11

That's right and an easy way to do so is in the Files: Solar Made Easy.

Escape Trailer Owners Community - Downloads - Solar Made Easy
Old 01-02-2017, 02:34 PM   #12

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
tongue jack

Steve, when my shoulder started complaining I had Amazon deliver a jack to our next camp ground. 30 minutes to physically install and another hour with the final electrics after we arrived home.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:53 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post

One thing I would have liked that I never thought of, so I don't know if they do it. Add a second under-counter light in the kitchen. I really like LOTS of light when I'm cooking. I was never able to see the trailers with power when we were at ETI, so I didn't realize another light would have been nice. We got two magnetic ones to put under the hood, which should help a bit.
We tried to get a second under-counter light, but we could not. If you omit the range hood then you can add one. Instead, we added an additional Double Dome LED light to our build sheet that I'll wire in after we get the trailer.

Gary
garysd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 03:22 PM   #14

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
You mean under upper cabinet lights? We have two: one over the sink and one about 8" left of the range hood. You only have one light illuminating the counter?
Yep, only one light there, in about the middle. I would have preferred to have two. At home we've added lights under all the cabinets and I really like it. I like lots of light when I'm reading, working, whatever (but not sleeping), which is why I kind of laugh when I read someone wants to *dim* the lights inside their trailer. Not me!

Bummer they used to have two and now there's only one under cabinet light.

I probably would have figured out I needed more light if they ran power to their demo trailers, but I asked once and was told they weren't able to it.

Oh well, that's what stick-on battery operated lights are for! More to add to the list of stuff bought for the trailer, huh?
Old 01-02-2017, 03:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysd View Post
We tried to get a second under-counter light, but we could not. If you omit the range hood then you can add one.
Thanks Gary for commenting! Least I won't have to wonder and think "I should have asked". If I had, the answer would have been no.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:30 PM   #16

If it makes you feel any better I can't remember ever using both as those LED's are very bright. Those puck lights seem to chew up the 3 AAA batteries required though.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:34 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You could try changing the bulb in the over the counter/sink fixture. I stuck one of the blue/white bulbs in there ( I'd removed it from another fixture ). Definitely brighter appearing anyway. Too harsh for reading, but more light, I think.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:37 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Lighting options are model dependent, some have 2 lamps under the cabinet, particularly if you delete the hood.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:37 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Wish we had a switch to turn on an inside light but the kitchen light can be turned on. We have switches but all are for the exterior lights.

Spending months in the South which I suppose means the South in the U.S., I expect you will be set up for a while with hook-ups and can use a dual water heater and maybe A/C even in winter.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Wish we had a switch to turn on an inside light but the kitchen light can be turned on. We have switches but all are for the exterior lights.

Spending months in the South which I suppose means the South in the U.S., I expect you will be set up for a while with hook-ups and can use a dual water heater and maybe A/C even in winter.
Good suggestions, yes we have friends that go south every year and we hope to join them.