Yet another build list deradline appraoching - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2018, 04:11 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16
Yet another build list deradline appraoching

Hi all,

Our build list is 99.9% complete. Deadline May 8. Just a few questions...

Any value on adding the External Fridge Fan?
Perhaps if we are back in Organ Pipe CacutsNP during the summer or other SW locations it may be necessary.

Draft list:

External Fridge Fan pondering

Microwave 700 W(Built into Cabinet)
2 - Way Hot Water Tank (Propane & 120V)
Foot Flush Toilet
Winterizing T-Valve
Toilet Shut-Off Valve
# _ Additional 12V/USB Interior Outlet ($75.00 each) May be able to post install power tower to dinette table as posted elsewhere

Additional 120V Interior Outlets under front dinette?

Dual 6V Batteries (225 amp hrs)
Surge Protector
Removable Power Cord
# _ LED Captains Reading Lamps ($40/each) Location(s)TBD by Customer Bed area + 2 in front dinette

Air Conditioner with Digital Thermostat (11,000 BTU Dometic)
MaxxFan Upgrade 7500K (with remote) Smoke Grey
Extra Insulation & Frame-less Thermal Windows

2 - 12V Heat Pads with Spray Foam Insulation
Opening Window in Bathroom (Frame-less Thermal)
Opening Window in Kitchen (Frame-less Thermal) with the hood vent is this necessary??

Power Tongue Jack
Exterior Access Hatch (Front Passenger Side)
Wireless backup camera
Shelves in Wardrobe Closet ($75/each) Location(s)TBD by Customer pondering usefulness

Additional Cabinet Door under Bed beside Bathroom Door
Storage Box (Front of Trailer) What does this gain?

Shelves in wardrobe maybe 1?

Additional Exterior LED Light over front storage

1 drawer under wardrobe closet

Additional Options:
Starter kit
Sand pads
Interior Fridge Fan

wireless temp gauge
Leveling Blocks (Set of 10)
Deluxe Sewer Tube Kit
Equalizer Hitch with Sway Control Bar (Pro-Series)
Sewer Tube Adapter
X - Chocks

Bat Dude and family
Bat Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
What model are you getting?
Old 04-26-2018, 04:59 PM   #3

opps

It is the 19'
Old 04-26-2018, 05:36 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Dude View Post
Additional Cabinet Door under Bed beside Bathroom Door

I’m confused by this. Where would this be on a 19?
Old 04-26-2018, 05:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 19'
Surprised no solar.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:32 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
There are several iterations of elfa shelves (container store) that will likely fit in your wardrobe. Search this forum for elfa and you'll probably find a few pictures. IMHO a better option than permanent shelves. I'm planning the 14" wide shelves in the wardrobe of my 17A.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:42 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 21 2018 "Gypsy Cat"
You might want to evaluate this product (searchable on Amazon) in lieu of the wireless thermometer offered as an accessory by ETI: SensorPush Wireless Thermometer / Hygrometer for iPhone / Android - Humidity & Temperature Smart Sensor with Alerts. Others have used one for the fridge and another for the freezer. Reports to your tablet or smartphone so that you should be able to monitor the temperatures from your tow vehicle.

Consider whether to add a solar panel, and/or port for portable solar panel use if at least some of your camping is expected to be at sites where you're not connecting to "shore power". I think many see these as advantageous because it reduces the temptation to use a generator, which is potentially loud and annoying to neighbors if in a campground. Of course, the solar will not deliver 120 volts AC, but helps keep your batteries topped off. The portable solar panel permits you to capture insolation at low sun angles or when the roof-top panels are shaded by tree canopy. Some owners have devised ways to tilt the roof panels.

You might want to search for threads about the front storage box: my assessment is that everyone that has it finds it useful. Some owners with the necessary skills have made their own. Unless you have significant available storage in your tow vehicle, you will likely eventually be glad you elected it...

Evaluate whether you would benefit from the optional propane connection. Many owners do the bulk of their cooking outdoors, reserving the in-trailer range for inclement days. There are several threads about the selection and use of grills and outdoor range tops. Some prefer to have a separate 11 pound propane cylinder separate from the trailer's supply and avoid the hose, but this probably means carrying it in the bed of a truck or the like...

You may also wish to evaluate whether having ETI run any pre-wiring for eventual needs makes sense. It's probably easier to have them run these before the vinyl liner is up, rather than fishing the wires yourself post-build. Examples include: 12-volt lines run to the overhead cabinets (to accommodate unforeseen devices or cabinet lighting, sound system wiring, battery monitor pre-wiring).

Be aware that you can convert the short stack drawer cabinet with counter top into a tall cabinet if you think you need additional wardrobe space. [On edit, I think this comment may be relevant only to the 21' trailer...]

I think your inclusion of the surge protector is a smart idea.

Just a few ideas from having created our build sheet. As many on the forum have noted: different owners value different features, and there are variable approaches to creation of the build sheet...

Thanks!

Claude
MadCAT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:28 PM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Any value on adding the External Fridge Fan? Mine would not come on till I added a switch to it. I've found no use for the fan, but then I don't camp on the Mex border in the summer.

Opening Window in Kitchen (Frame-less Thermal) with the hood vent is this necessary?? Necessary, no, but highly recommended. The light and view make it worth while as well as the air flow when open.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:58 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I prefer adjustable shelves instead of fixed shelves; not hard to add after you get the rig and decide what you want to store, possibly add sliding drawers on the moveable shelves.

In a 19, a door under the bench (next to the door I believe) provides access without having to move cushions, etc. Several people have added drawers under there to provide a means of swapping muddy shoes for clean ones.

Opening kitchen window - YES. You don't want to run the hood fan if you wind up boondocking, plus it's great cross ventilation.

Storage box - YES. You can cram all kinds of messy stuff in there (has drain holes) plus all your chocks, water hose, tool box, crossbar and torque wrench, spare parts, air compressor, etc..........

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:11 PM   #10

Trailer: None now
Bat DudeHi all,
Our build list is 99.9% complete. Deadline May 8. Just a few questions...
Any value on adding the External Fridge Fan? So far we have not found it useful. It makes a high pitch whine that Karen can hear is all we can tell about it so far. Maybe in Death Valley it might come in handy but we never used it this summer in Florida.
Toilet Shut-Off Valve you want this !
Surge Protector We found this very useful
Removable Power Cord Convenient but could be left off if saving money
Opening Window in Kitchen (Frame-less Thermal) with the hood vent is this necessary?? It is nice to look out while standing there.
Shelves in Wardrobe Closet ($75/each) Location(s)TBD by Customer pondering usefulness Did not get. I can add them myself if I decide I want them.
Storage Box (Front of Trailer) What does this gain? valuable storage, and a place to put bulky items or your electric and water hoses and such,
Sand pads you want these

Bat Dude and family
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:28 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Sand pads are not just for sand. They spread the load for the stablizer jacks - so they won't dig into your driveway at home and keep from digging in the dirt when boondocking.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:46 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
External Fridge Fan - We had this on our 19' and will be getting it on our 21'. While we didn't camp in the desert, we were in South Dakota and Utah during some pretty hot days and never had a problem with our fridge keeping things cold.
Microwave 700W - Don't use one at home all that much and never missed it in our 19'.
2 - Way Hot Water Tank - Had this in our 19' and never used it. However, will still have it on our 21'. Our 19' used very little propane no matter what we did but, if camping for a long period of time, it would be nice to use other people's electricity.

Foot Flush Toilet - People talked us out of this and we regretted it. Will be getting it this time.
Winterizing T-Valve - While we don't live in the frozen north, we decided that this is cheap insurance should we ever need to winterize.
Toilet Shut-Off Valve - Invaluable if something happens to the water supply.[/COLOR]
Additional 12V/USB Outlet - Had an additional outlet installed and never used it. Will pass this time.
Additional 120V Interior Outlets - Good for charging tablets. There's one outlet in the dinette area already. Do you really need another?
Dual 6V Batteries - A must with solar ... which we highly recommend (the solar, that is)
Surge Protector - Having blown the fuses a couple of times, wouldn't be without it.
Removable Power Cord - Better for keeping the bugs out
LED Captains Reading Lamps - Depends on your lifestyle. We like reading while sitting at the dinette so will be getting them again (back corners of the dinette).
Air Conditioner with Digital Thermostat - While we tend not to camp during the hottest days of the year, when the temps go up, this is nice to have.
MaxxFan Upgrade 7500K (with remote) Smoke Grey - No longer offered (check with ETI)
Extra Insulation & Frame-less Thermal Windows - Thermal windows are SO nice.
2 - 12V Heat Pads with Spray Foam Insulation - We nixed the heat pads but did get the spray foam which, I feel, kept the interior temps a little more even.
Opening Window in Bathroom - Invaluable when cleaning out your toilet with the wand
Opening Window in Kitchen (Frame-less Thermal) with the hood vent is this necessary?? - Oh yes!! Not only for air, but the light it lets in makes everything so much more open.
Power Tongue Jack - Didn't have it before but definitely will be getting it this time (we're getting older you know ... )
Exterior Access Hatch (Front Passenger Side) - Nice not to have to pull up the cushions and such when accessing items underneath but definitely not a deal-breaker.
Wireless backup camera - We prefer the 'human touch' and there's more to watch out for than just the rear of the trailer ....
Shelves in Wardrobe Closet ($75/each) Location(s)- Didn't have them in the 19' and thought we missed them. Started to order for the 21' but decided to go with the Elfa system (Container Store)
Additional Cabinet Door under Bed beside Bathroom Door - Assume you mean door at the end of the dinette. Very, very useful!! Don't pass this up.
Storage Box (Front of Trailer) What does this gain? - Lots. You can store junk and, for you, the batteries. We were surprised how much we used this.
Shelves in wardrobe maybe 1? (See comment on the Elfa systems)
Additional Exterior LED Light over front storage - Use a flashlight or headlamp.
1 drawer under wardrobe closet - Oh yes. I forgot to order this on our 19' and regretted it the entire time we owned it.
Additional Options:
Starter kit - Some things are cheaper at Camping world
Sand pads - YES
Interior Fridge Fan - Go to Camping World
wireless temp gauge - Amazon
Leveling Blocks (Set of 10) - Amazon
Deluxe Sewer Tube Kit - Amazon
Equalizer Hitch with Sway Control Bar (Pro-Series) - Had the Andersen on our 19' and loved it.
Sewer Tube Adapter - Amazon for the kit and adapter
X - Chocks - Toss-up. Check the price on Amazon vs. ETI's price w/Exchange Rate

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 02:11 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Additional outlets

We added a number of 12/5 volt and 120 volt outlets and have used them all. We have a 12/5 volt in front of the kitchen counter by the 120 volt outlet, one on the front of the back bench of our U shaped dinette, one at the head of the bed and two 12 volt outlets outside for the small electric tire compressor. We added a 120 volt to the other side of the dinette bench, giving us one on each side so we don't have to run computer cords across under the dinette. We have one by the bathroom door, the head of the bed and two at the foot of the bed near the TV (one high and one low). However this is on a 21 and may be appropriate for a 19.

In addition we bought a number of options that I felt I could have installed myself. However I'm sure it would have been a number of years before I completed them all, so how we have them immediately.. At a price.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:29 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Yes, we use the 12V and 120 outlets we added. It is most of the standard ones that we do not use, or very rarely.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:18 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
I was in Big Bend National Park a couple weeks ago and the temperature was a hundred or more a couple of the days. In the afternoons I did notice the the water in the ice trays did not want to freeze after using it all earlier in the day. Of course I was sitting in the shade under a tree drinking a lot of cold drinks and went through the ice rather quickly. A refrig fan might have helped?
James Gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:23 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Gang View Post
I was in Big Bend National Park a couple weeks ago and the temperature was a hundred or more a couple of the days. In the afternoons I did notice the the water in the ice trays did not want to freeze after using it all earlier in the day. Of course I was sitting in the shade under a tree drinking a lot of cold drinks and went through the ice rather quickly. A refrig fan might have helped?
An ice maker is what you really need. Although, since I expect you may not have had shore power, you also need a generator.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:41 PM   #17

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Agree ... you needed the optional ice maker.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:47 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Yep, no ice maker and no generator. One of those hot days, I went across the river to Boquillas.
Attached Thumbnails
222.jpg  
James Gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:06 AM   #19

Tnx all

Tnx all,

Many great suggestions and helped push our decisions to eliminate or include.

The kitchen window is a go, ETI shelves not so much.
External fridge fan not necessary and should be easy to add a 12v surplus computer fan if need be at some point.

We will not do solar as Mich is not a great solar area. We already have the Honda 2000i so will be able to top up batteries etc. when boondocking.

Now the really BIG Decision - travel to pick it up or have it delivered LOL

Bat Dude
Old 04-28-2018, 09:23 AM   #20

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Dude View Post
Tnx all,

Many great suggestions and helped push our decisions to eliminate or include.

The kitchen window is a go, ETI shelves not so much.
External fridge fan not necessary and should be easy to add a 12v surplus computer fan if need be at some point.

We will not do solar as Mich is not a great solar area. We already have the Honda 2000i so will be able to top up batteries etc. when boondocking.

Now the really BIG Decision - travel to pick it up or have it delivered LOL

Bat Dude
If you pick it up on May 8th and spend a couple days around the area exploring you would be set to head to the Rally.
There is plenty to do in Washington state near Chilliwack as well as around that area in Canada. We hated that we had not allowed more time to explore.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote