Yet another Texan headed to Chilliwack! - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2017, 08:13 AM   #81

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Those icing conditions sound nasty. We only deal with them a few times a winter, usually from packed snow when it warms. Has me thinking about picking up at least one set of tire chains for my drive. Though it sounds the trailer may need them too in some places.
Got chains a couple weeks ago for the truck for the trip up - didn't want to get them for the trailer but decided we might need them to get out of the area so ordered a set yesterday for the trailer. Ugh!

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:20 AM   #82
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The problem for us here in the Pacific NorthWET is we can't predict weather... at all. Can't prepare for snow, we typically don't get any here in Portland. Rain is the norm. My city doesn't even own snow plows and we don't want tax payer dollars spent for something that may sit for several years due to non-use. So an inch of snow shuts us down, let alone a dang foot.

In 2015, there were three times and only three days that I had to scrape the frost off my truck windows so I could get to work. Really a mild, mild winter.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:27 AM   #83

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
I'm missing something. What is the value of putting chains on the trailer's wheels? I grew up in the high elevation snow country of Colorado where chains, when needed, went on the drive wheels only to get a deeper grab into the snow and aid in the prevention of spinning out. Back then, there was no such thing as front wheel drive transaxles. Every thing was rear wheel drive or 4-wheel drive, and chains only went on the front if you had 4-wheel drive - again to grab deeper into the snow for improved traction. So what's with chains on the the trailer nowadays? That's going to be one bouncy ride when you hit a patch of pavement not covered with snow. Along that line, does anyone still make, and states allow the use of, studded snow tires for better traction on ice? Feeling old....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:36 AM   #84
Site Team

I've got some friends who live up in the mountains outside Roseburg (former Scamp 5er owners). Mike said there's not enough wheel well clearance on his car to mount tire chains. He bought "Auto Socks" from Les Schwab and said they worked well. Something to consider for a trailer? At least it wouldn't beat the side of the trailer to death, unlike a chain if it let go. They'd certainly be lighter weight than chains and probably a lot easier to store too. This is his picture.
Attached Thumbnails
AutoSocks.jpg  
Old 01-11-2017, 08:45 AM   #85

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
I'm missing something. What is the value of putting chains on the trailer's wheels? ... Feeling old....
I have wondered the same thing. I would think that they would only be of much value when the trailer brakes are applied. So going down an icy road they would seem to offer some value.

To me, some of these chain laws ignore advances made to vehicles and ice/snow tires. Even on our front wheel drive only Corolla, with the built in traction control and the Michelin X Ice tires we use in the winter time, I have driven up our VERY steep 1/4 mile long driveway thru 4" of snow, from a dead stop at the bottom (yes I was experimenting ) At the other extreme was my 1961 F250 that could get stuck on nearly flat ground when it was slippery unless I put chains on it.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:10 AM   #86
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I'm thinking their rationale for trailer chains is to assist in traction when braking. There may be some benefit to tracking as well, but that'd be hard to quantify.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:13 AM   #87

Some of the states require chains on the trailer if it has brakes. I'm getting them to comply with the idea of running into a "gotta have them with you requirement" rather than a gonna actually get in a situation where "I gotta actually use them".

Old 01-11-2017, 09:21 AM   #88

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Along that line, does anyone still make, and states allow the use of, studded snow tires for better traction on ice? Feeling old....
Here in WA State you can legally use studded tires from something like Nov 1st to April 1st or thereabouts. The dates will change depending on the weather. I think a few times there were exemptions for those going over the passes, but don't quote me on that.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:21 AM   #89

Laura, thanks for the link to the WSDOT site. Sheesh, would someone out there please turn off this lousy weather!!!

Old 01-11-2017, 09:26 AM   #90

Donna D's friend makes a point. Wheel wells on cars don't seem to have nearly as much clearance today as there used to be. I guess it's for style and maybe better aerodynamics. Looks like the Auto Socks would work for trailer tires, too, if required by law. But it seems most pickups nowadays have even MORE clearance than back in the day - I guess to accommodate those huge monster tires that seem to be so popular among the younger crowd these days. Going back to my youth (sorry for so much time travel), traditional old steel wheels were relatively cheep, so most people had 2 complete sets of 4 mounted tires. One set of 4 mounted summer tires. Another set of 4 mounted tires with very aggressive mud and snow (M+S) tires for winter driving, including the front wheels for better steering traction. When winter set in, just jack up the car, change out all four wheels, like you're 4 flat tires, snap the hubcaps back on, and you were ready to go. Handled most Winter road conditions without chains going bumpity-bumpity-bumpity down the road - as long as the county snowplow crew was keeping accumulation on the roads to a minimum.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:26 AM   #91

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I'm thinking their rationale for trailer chains is to assist in traction when braking. There may be some benefit to tracking as well, but that'd be hard to quantify.
I think you are right on with this, on both accounts. Really, the only thing they would assist at is braking. With tracking, it is just following and very unlikely to have an issue there...... unless you were braking.

So, I could see a possible need for trailer chains, but only if you expect to encounter slippery, steep, downhill slopes..... or if the law tells you too.

As I pretty much tow my cargo trailer full time all winter long, I have many times played with the tracking of the trailer when cornering. On just heavy snow conditions, I have to really crank a corner hard before it skids to the side, and even then it pulls straight in line right away. When quite icy, it does have the tendency to swing out more. With normal winter cornering, the trailer does not skid out at all, in any condition.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:27 AM   #92
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by H46Driver View Post
Sheesh, would someone out there please turn off this lousy weather!!!
Would if I could. This showed up on my Facebook newsfeed. Thought I"d share
Attached Thumbnails
StopSnowing.jpg  
Old 01-11-2017, 09:30 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
To me, some of these chain laws ignore advances made to vehicles and ice/snow tires. Even on our front wheel drive only Corolla, with the built in traction control and the Michelin X Ice tires we use in the winter time, I have driven up our VERY steep 1/4 mile long driveway thru 4" of snow, from a dead stop at the bottom (yes I was experimenting ) At the other extreme was my 1961 F250 that could get stuck on nearly flat ground when it was slippery unless I put chains on it.
I wonder this too. Most front wheel drive cars, equipped with snow tires, perform very well in most winter conditions, definitely in snow, and much better on ice too. I never put winter tires on my F150 last winter, but did this year knowing I would tow more. Traction is never an issue with in this year, it made a world of difference. I keep it in AWD all the time, and on occasion will put it into 4WD.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-11-2017, 09:31 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Here in WA State you can legally use studded tires from something like Nov 1st to April 1st or thereabouts. The dates will change depending on the weather. I think a few times there were exemptions for those going over the passes, but don't quote me on that.
Studded tires were a blessing during many icy winters in West Virginia - until individual municipalities started outlawing them because of real or perceived damage they were doing to the road surface. You would sometimes have to completely reroute trips just to go around towns that outlawed studded tires. Best 2-wheel drive car I ever had for winter road conditions was a rear engine 1971 VW Superbeetle. Getting warm air to the windshield for defrosting was another matter.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:33 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Would if I could. This showed up on my Facebook newsfeed. Thought I"d share
I have to disagree with that meme. I would love it to snow more. Those nasty freezing rain conditions you guys are dealing with though, one could certainly do without.

The snowscape we have now is so quite and beautiful. Love it!
Old 01-11-2017, 09:37 AM   #96

Trailer: pondering.....
so it looks like the best time to pickup a trailer at ETI is late summer..after the gas blend has been switched to winter blend (cheaper) and you don't have to buy a set of tire chains..

looking at those live cams of winter driving..ain't nothing worth driving in that white knuckle mess....not even the rest stops look safe..white vehicle pulling white trailer in white snow and ice.....hats off to those who drive freight in the winter!
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:49 AM   #97

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
I have to disagree with that meme. I would love it to snow more. Those nasty freezing rain conditions you guys are dealing with though, one could certainly do without.

Wasn't quiet yesterday. Mann, the wind was blowing. Had to watch myself outside: almost ended up in Calgary without the use of car, fuel, chains, sled or skies. But yes: LOVE the seasons we have! (and my wood stove)
Old 01-11-2017, 09:53 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
.... almost ended up in Calgary.....
If that does happen, do stop in.

For the most part during this child snowy weather, the wind has not been too bad here. Makes a HUGE difference.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:10 AM   #99
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by H46Driver View Post
We're considering going through Las Vegas then up HWY 93 to Twin Falls then work our way up to I-90. Would Snoqualmie Pass be a better choice than I-5 and the Siskiyous? Looking for input from someone with experience in that area.
H46Driver,All I can say is please don't do it! The safest most viable route this time of year (especially this year) is the 5 with the 101 as an alternate. Safe Travels.
Tin
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:32 AM   #100

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:

Give me snow over freezing rain any day! We were just out clearing off our latest 6" -- I figure snow in the winter is meant help me keep exercised.

Be safe out there all you folks dealing with this nasty stuff during your pickup dates!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote