You've got to eat - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2019, 12:02 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You've got to eat

If you are visiting ETI for any reason and need a happy tummy, drive right on by that Tim Hortons ( McDonalds wanna be ) and have a meal at Cookies Grill.
It's about a kilometre away from ETI, but you'll get a superb 'all day breakfast' at a reasonable price.
I had classic eggs Benedict with shredded potato hash browns and ate every bit.

You might have to wait for a table, but it will be worth it.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restauran..._Columbia.html
Old 03-14-2019, 12:37 AM   #2

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Cookies also makes some delightful poutine [emoji6]
Old 03-14-2019, 12:43 AM   #3

Here's a link to the full menu. You may never go home.
https://cookiesgrill.ca/menu/
Old 03-14-2019, 06:10 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Great advice, Glenn & Scott, will try that next trip. Since we stay at the Best Western next to Escape, they provide free breakfast with the room and we got hooked on their Belgian Waffles. I'll go down first and eat while Noelia stays with the dogs and then we reverse. But always looking for some other local flavorful place in Chilliwack, especially those with poutine and there are 2 other meals/per day to contend with, thanks agin for the advice.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:01 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Is the diner 2 doors east of ETI, by Valley Driving School, still open? We had an excellent breakfast there, including freshly baked biscuits (we watched the lady in the kitchen pull them out of the oven - yum.)
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:14 AM   #6

Trailer: TBD
At the risk of offending our Canadian brothers & sisters, poutine conjures up an image in my mind of the service staff going around the restaurant and cleaning up all the leftovers, putting on a plate and serving to the next customer to order poutine. My passport came through (perhaps I've been dropped from the no-fly list!) so I'll have to give it a try when I'm up in Chilliwack in the next few weeks.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:19 AM   #7

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farther View Post
At the risk of offending our Canadian brothers & sisters, poutine conjures up an image in my mind of the service staff going around the restaurant and cleaning up all the leftovers, putting on a plate and serving to the next customer to order poutine. My passport came through (perhaps I've been dropped from the no-fly list!) so I'll have to give it a try when I'm up in Chilliwack in the next few weeks.

John, you can find some excellent poutine right here in PT at The Old Whiskey Mill. I give my highest recommendation to their Indian Poutine. There are three things my mom looks forward to when she comes to visit: seeing the grandkids, a London Fog from Better Living Through Coffee, and the Indian Poutine at The Whiskey Milll. I’m fond of those three as well.
[emoji1303][emoji6]
Old 03-14-2019, 10:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
John, you can find some excellent poutine right here in PT at The Old Whiskey Mill.
Thanks, I will give it a try, perhaps today!
Old 03-14-2019, 10:35 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Two surprisingly good meals at Best Western--much needed after I emptied the highlander and the car top carrier into my room. And then of course, back into the car the next morning. That day holds such wonderful memories. I still feel like Cinderella with my castle. Thanks, Escape.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:42 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had to purchase a belgian waffle maker, similar to the BW, when we got home. Noelia still raves about them and is looking forward to having them soon.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:14 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
At the risk of offending our Canadian brothers & sisters, poutine conjures up an image in my mind of the service staff going around the restaurant and cleaning up all the leftovers, putting on a plate and serving to the next customer to order poutine.
No offense taken. I'm a Canadian and I've never eaten Poutine in Canada. That sloppy mess looks too much like another sloppy ethnic food that I'm also not fond of.

I did order Poutine in a US McDonalds once. Eventually the memory will fade from my mind. Especially if folks stop mentioning Poutine.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:34 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Personally, I'm a coffee and jelly donuts kind of guy.
Attached Thumbnails
breakfast.jpg  
Old 03-14-2019, 01:50 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
At the risk of offending our Canadian brothers & sisters, poutine conjures up an image in my mind of the service staff going around the restaurant and cleaning up all the leftovers, putting on a plate and serving to the next customer to order poutine.
I wouldn't worry about offending anyone - poutine isn't a traditional food for most of Canada, and most Canadians don't eat it. But it isn't like that: it is french fries (which need to be crisp and fresh), cheese curds (a specialty product, not just random cheese), and gravy. There is now a trend to put other stuff on to make variations, just like you can put anything on a flatbread and call it "pizza"... although it's nothing like the original Italian item.

I finally tried poutine for the first time on a trip last year through Quebec. I was as unimpressed as I expected, but I've never been a fan of gravy on fries, and the gravy made the fries soggy as I suspected they would be.

My guess is that there are more Canadians who are passionate about their donairs than care about poutine. But that's something that one normally gets from a specialty take-out restaurant (which may do pizza as well).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I finally tried poutine for the first time on a trip last year through Quebec. I was as unimpressed as I expected, but I've never been a fan of gravy on fries, and the gravy made the fries soggy as I suspected they would be.

My guess is that there are more Canadians who are passionate about their donairs than care about poutine.
I remember the first time, years ago in the US, when a waitress asked if I wanted gravy on my fries. I probably gave her a bit of a blank look because that seemed like a foreign concept. Of course she kind of gave me a blank look when I asked for malt vinegar.

I love donairs but my weak spot is cinnamon buns. I started many days at UBC with one . Most commercial ones are poor substitutes. Sometimes no raisins , coated with sugar and dough that doesn't come close to the real thing. The best cinnamon buns in the world are at a little place in the woods near Skookumchuck Narrows. Long drive for a cinnamon bun but I've done it.

Ron
Old 03-14-2019, 04:04 PM   #15

We make a special trip to Solly's on Main Street in Vancouver for cinnamon rolls. Better than my mother's, but only because they are bigger than hers.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:40 PM   #16

I checked out their website with great anticipation. Lot's of brown sugar goo and no raisins Like an Escape without wheels, might look good but doesn't get very far, at least with me. Ah well, the search continues.

Ron
Old 03-14-2019, 04:53 PM   #17

No raisins on my cinnamon buns, but pecans or second choice walnuts for sure.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:02 PM   #18

Tastes are weird. I object to icing on my cinnamon buns. Not keen on raisins or nuts. I get incensed when what the waiter claims are hash browns turn out to be deep fried potato cubes.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:40 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I get incensed when what the waiter claims are hash browns turn out to be deep fried potato cubes.
Amen to that. Hash Browns and Home Fries are not the same thing. Oh, and if your Hash Browns come out white and soggy instead of "brown" and crispy, send 'em back.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:41 PM   #20

Trailer: 21C 2023. Previous 2019 17B
Scott and I enjoy the Royal hotel cafe in downtown Chilliwack when we are at ETI. They have fantastic donuts too and the old hotel is a nice atmosphere.
Bcescapist is offline   Reply With Quote