1 or 2 solar panels?? - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2018, 01:54 PM   #101

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Ventilation. We have them in all cabinets and benches to promote airflow, helpful to reduce condensation within enclosed spaces in cold temps. We had ETI install them during the build, but later found the same vents for much cheaper on The Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AFESESG..._iHLxAbBK6MW1V
Old 01-16-2018, 02:12 PM   #102

Location: In my Escape...full time. Currently in Maine, Maine
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Thanks for the link! I'm surprised that ETI does not provide ventilation for all enclosed areas that are adjacent to outer walls or floors. Condensation can lead to unhealthy mold growth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Ventilation. We have them in all cabinets and benches to promote airflow, helpful to reduce condensation within enclosed spaces in cold temps. We had ETI install them during the build, but later found the same vents for much cheaper on The Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AFESESG..._iHLxAbBK6MW1V
CarlNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:21 PM   #103

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlNH View Post
Thanks for the link! I'm surprised that ETI does not provide ventilation for all enclosed areas that are adjacent to outer walls or floors. Condensation can lead to unhealthy mold growth.
I've not got ventilated benches and I've not got condensation or mold growth. The sky is falling.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:38 PM   #104
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I too am thinking that the stock 160W isn't really enough for a 200+ AH dual golf cart system. lets say you discharge those batteries 50%, so thats 14V at 100AH to recharge them, or 1400 watt*hours. A 160W flat solar panel will be lucky to produce 80 watts for 8 hours average on a 100% sunny day with no shade, thats 640 watt*hours.

so.... just how many panels *CAN* we fit on an Escape 21? I just happened ot be playing with my new drone and took this 'plan view' of the roof...

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:40 PM   #105

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Could vents be counterproductive for such areas as the benches and actually promote condensation there?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:42 PM   #106

Trailer: 2018 17A
Is it allowed to ask about portable panels? What brands have been best? Output? With travel case? Can I get portables without controller?
noblets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:52 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I've not got ventilated benches and I've not got condensation or mold growth. The sky is falling.

Glad you’ve never experienced condensation or mold, Glen. Unfortunately, your experience is not universal. We have experienced significant condensation issues while living in the trailer for extended periods of time in varied climatic conditions. Fortunately no mold, as we kept on top of the condensation. The most effective preventative we found is to keep doors and cabinets open at night for good air exchange. The vents we put into our 19 don’t work as well by themselves, but they do provide full time air exchange, if only modestly so. They seem to help.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:09 PM   #108

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
In a wet climate as I guess you have, you could have a constant problem with that. I am supposing that you open a couple of windows and roof vents, even if cold, at least a little, and get as much air in and out again as it is comfortable to do.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:11 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
In a wet climate as I guess you have, you could have a constant problem with that. I am supposing that you open a couple of windows and roof vents, even if cold, at least a little, and get as much air in and out again as it is comfortable to do.

Oh yeah!
Old 01-16-2018, 05:27 PM   #110
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblets View Post
Is it allowed to ask about portable panels? What brands have been best? Output? With travel case? Can I get portables without controller?
Renogy is the gold standard in portable kits, I believe their 100W kit is available with and without controller. I've got the one with the integral controller, and I was going to remove the controller and install it in my Casita hard wired to the battery, but now I've got an Escape, with integral 160W solar, so the Renogy will either get sold separately, bundled with the Casita, or kept for charging portable equipment like astronomy gear.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:30 PM   #111

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Renogy makes a nice 100 watt suitcase type panel without controller that comes with a decent case.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:40 PM   #112

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
I purchased the Renogy 150 watt panel from Amazon. It, like most bare panels, does not come with a controller. I wired the output from the portable to work in parallel with the existing roof mounted panel.

Its a little large at about 40" x 40" and roughly 25 pounds. It does fit into my pickup truck under the topper, but at my advanced state of creaky I am wishing for a pair of smaller panels. Two 75 watt units in parallel will be the same output.

Rated output (in full sun, noon, at the equator, cool temperatures, etc.) is 8.4 amps at 17.9 volts. My real-world measurements, if aimed directly at the winter noon sun, was about 75 watts. If flat on the ground, same conditions, expect less than 25 watts. If you don't camp in the general vicinity of the winter solstice you can expect more output, but not likely the rated absolute maximum of 150 watts.

No case. I had a local welder to attach some aluminum legs I designed for tilting (looks like an "A" frame when deployed.)

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:40 PM   #113

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
I like the Lensun portable. It weighs about 8 lbs and stores easily. I had some QC problems with the first unit they shipped but they took care of it. I'm really pleased with the panels and they seem to be the best available on the market. I like the ETFE construction, light, tough, and picks up sunlight from a wider angle than the glass panels.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...nel-10725.html
Old 01-16-2018, 07:10 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Could vents be counterproductive for such areas as the benches and actually promote condensation there?
Great question! Typically ventilation is beneficial. But in an enclosed space where ambient humidity may be high at times, perhaps isolating the storage areas might be better? Probably a discussion for another thread though 😁
Old 01-16-2018, 07:21 PM   #115

You may want to keep your portable panel to use when your rooftop panel is in the shade and there is sun nearby. Also, portable can be tilted to sun angle in non-summer months, dramatically improving output. Bypass the integral controller and connect directly to the controller in the Escape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
Renogy is the gold standard in portable kits, I believe their 100W kit is available with and without controller. I've got the one with the integral controller, and I was going to remove the controller and install it in my Casita hard wired to the battery, but now I've got an Escape, with integral 160W solar, so the Renogy will either get sold separately, bundled with the Casita, or kept for charging portable equipment like astronomy gear.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:19 PM   #116

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
Renogy makes a nice 100 watt suitcase type panel without controller that comes with a decent case.
I got the Renogy without controller too. It works great.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:03 AM   #117

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
For portable and/or foldable panels I would look to Solar Boulevard as a possible source. Their supply of foldable seems to vary greatly but it does give you another option to look at.

I would consider weight and size in a purchase rather than brand. I was fortunate to find a 120 watt model that fits into the wardrobe on my Escape 21. Very convenient.

Everyone is right that a model without a controller is preferred. However, it is easy to remove a controller and discard.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:20 AM   #118

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have a GoPower 80W, which is a tough built unit in a great case. If I ever was to replace it I would definitely go with the Lensun semi-flexible panel that Tom linked too. Much lighter and smaller (narrower) to store.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:26 AM   #119

Trailer: Escape 21 - Nov 2017 "Harvey"
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I too am thinking that the stock 160W isn't really enough for a 200+ AH dual golf cart system....
so.... just how many panels *CAN* we fit on an Escape 21?
A rule of thumb is to have 2 to 1, solar watts to battery AH. So, a 200Ah battery bank should have about 400watts of panels to charge it. This is only a rule of thumb. It probably assumes some wooded/shaded situations some of the time, rather than typical western US of wide open sky, bright sun. And that ratio is probably assuming doing a near full charge per day, not just a "top it off" charge.

As to how many panels, the better question is "how many watts" can fit on an Escape 21 roof? Since different panels can be used. Looking at your drone photo, for example, there is room along the sides of the A/C unit and towards the front for a skinny panel, perhaps 12 inches wide. Then another ETI sized panel in front of the A/C as ETI installs the second option on a 21. Skinny panels do exist, but they are like 75w, not 160.

For me, I have a new 21. I did not order any ETI solar panels, because as this thread has shown, there is several ways to improve on the retail kit that ETI installs. I am still in the measuring/calculating/shopping phase. But what I am looking at is 4 panels, 180watt each for a total of 720w on the roof, all tiltable. Plus I will still carry my 100w Renogy portable for those times when my site is completely shaded. The 180w panels from AMSolar in Oregon are about the same size as the ETI 160w panels. The mount location will be the same as ETI does: across in the rear and across in front of the A/C unit. I will "stack" two panels in each location. When folded down flat, in travel mode, only two panels will be exposed to the sky. The other two will be underneath the top pair. At camp site, will be able to "un-fold" the panels and tilt them so that they are above the A/C unit, MaxxFan or other roof vents. Wired so that front pair are in parallel, rear pair in parallel. That way, when folded/covered the one exposed panel per pair still runs un-restricted. Then the front and rear pairs wired in series to each other to boost incoming voltage, reducing amps. This, of course, requires a MPPT controller.

That is my current thinking. More measuring and figuring to come in the spring when its a bit warmer.
jking1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:32 AM   #120

1 or 2 solar panels??

Wow, Jeff, that sounds crazy impressive! Do such mounts already exist or are you designing these from scratch? Would love to see lots of pics when you get that around.