17B questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2019, 12:08 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
17B questions

I have a 17B on order, the build sheet hasn't been signed off yet.

I have two questions,

The overhead cabinets have lights under them. I may want to add lights inside the overhead cabinets later, can I easily access the 12 V for these lights ? or do need to ask for 12 V drops from the factory ?

The location diagram supplied from the factory indicates the TV bracket is located on the face of the passenger side overhead cabinet above the bed closest to the microwave cabinet. We have ordered the full time double bed configuration. They suggest a max 22" TV. Is there any reason a 24" TV wouldn't fit there ? I could see it being a problem if it was configured in the dinette version but as long as the TV arm is long enough it should work ? yes ? (I have no feel for this as I haven't ever seen a 17 B ! I hope an owner will advise me.)

thanks, Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanark Camper View Post

I have two questions,

The overhead cabinets have lights under them. I may want to add lights inside the overhead cabinets later, can I easily access the 12 V for these lights ? or do need to ask for 12 V drops from the factory ?
While anything is possible, the "floor" of the overhead cabinets is double hulled, ie it is not easy to wire between the under cabinet lights & the cabinet space. I'd ask for drops if you want to add interior cabinet lighting.
Quote:

The location diagram supplied from the factory indicates the TV bracket is located on the face of the passenger side overhead cabinet above the bed closest to the microwave cabinet. We have ordered the full time double bed configuration. They suggest a max 22" TV. Is there any reason a 24" TV wouldn't fit there ? I could see it being a problem if it was configured in the dinette version but as long as the TV arm is long enough it should work ? yes ? (I have no feel for this as I haven't ever seen a 17 B ! I hope an owner will advise me.)

thanks, Bob
Can't help with the TV - I didn't have one...
Old 03-15-2019, 12:50 PM   #3

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
17 tv

When we down sized to a 17 from the 19 & 21 we also down sized the TV to what measures about 13" diagonally. It fits nicely under the thermostat, folds against the wall next to the microwave/fridge cabinet, can be seen from bed and also from the dinette with our usual specs.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Thought it was reported recently that ETI is not doing 12V drops any more. I did tie into my under counter lights with no problems. Drilled a hole very close to outside edge near corner.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:

I have two questions,

thanks, Bob
In our previous 17B, we had a 24” TV in the “standard” position as you describe, mounted with ETI’s standard TV arm. It worked fine for us viewed from the bed, or from the dinette at the other end. You should have no issue. Incidentally, we didn’t worry about the microwave and the so called “microwave” cupboard was great for storage.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:32 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Unless you plan on removing the tv while towing, the additional weight maybe an issue for the bigger model.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:15 AM   #7

Thanks for all the advice.

I've also searched the photos on this site and elsewhere trying to get feel for that area of the trailer.

I'm not so concerned with a bigger screen but a better selection of models and features to choose from. I can see where having the dinette a bigger screen mounted on the upper cabinet could be an issue with your head ! With our full time bed option that should not be a problem.

My plan now is to ask ETI if the arm, antenna and electrical connections could be mounted on the bulkhead between the bed area and microwave/refrigerator, say about 12" below the overhead cabinet.

Hopefully the mount is designed for quickly removing the TV while on the road if weight becomes an issue.

I'll also inquire about the 12V cabinet drops.

Bob
Old 03-16-2019, 12:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice.

I've also searched the photos on this site and elsewhere trying to get feel for that area of the trailer.

I'm not so concerned with a bigger screen but a better selection of models and features to choose from. I can see where having the dinette a bigger screen mounted on the upper cabinet could be an issue with your head ! With our full time bed option that should not be a problem.

My plan now is to ask ETI if the arm, antenna and electrical connections could be mounted on the bulkhead between the bed area and microwave/refrigerator, say about 12" below the overhead cabinet.

Hopefully the mount is designed for quickly removing the TV while on the road if weight becomes an issue.

I'll also inquire about the 12V cabinet drops.

Bob
When we picked up out trailer, we took the TV with us to make sure the arm got fitted correctly. The edge of the cabinet is reinforced and so the arm screws into the reinforced area. I think there are some limitations as to where ETI will fit the electrics and connections for the aerial. Are you getting the Jack TV aerial, it works well. The TV arm can be relatively easily detached if you need to for travel. We try to not to have to disconnect it using a selection of burgess cords and foam packing to protect the TV. The arms are designed to take a much heavier TV than you are likely to end up with, a 24 inch LED TV isn't that heavy.

Couple of other things you may want to think about. Consider getting a 12V TV. This means it will run more efficiently than a 120V TV using an inverter.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
When we picked up out trailer, we took the TV with us to make sure the arm got fitted correctly. The edge of the cabinet is reinforced and so the arm screws into the reinforced area. I think there are some limitations as to where ETI will fit the electrics and connections for the aerial. Are you getting the Jack TV aerial, it works well. The TV arm can be relatively easily detached if you need to for travel. We try to not to have to disconnect it using a selection of burgess cords and foam packing to protect the TV. The arms are designed to take a much heavier TV than you are likely to end up with, a 24 inch LED TV isn't that heavy.

Couple of other things you may want to think about. Consider getting a 12V TV. This means it will run more efficiently than a 120V TV using an inverter.
Is your TV mount attached to the face of the overhead cabinet as indicated in the ESI document ? You wouldn't have a picture of your TV in its mount would you ?

We are getting the roof mount TV antenna. Also asked for both a 110 V and 12 V outlet by the TV mount. We would prefer a 12 V TV if we can find what we want with that feature.
Good news about the arm strength and ease of use.

Do you think the bulkhead between the microwave/fridge and bed is strong enough to mount the TV arm without additional reinforcement ? If so I'd ask them to let me attach the arm after we pickup the trailer in July.

Regards, Bob
Old 03-18-2019, 01:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Is your TV mount attached to the face of the overhead cabinet as indicated in the ESI document ? You wouldn't have a picture of your TV in its mount would you ?

We are getting the roof mount TV antenna. Also asked for both a 110 V and 12 V outlet by the TV mount. We would prefer a 12 V TV if we can find what we want with that feature.
Good news about the arm strength and ease of use.

Do you think the bulkhead between the microwave/fridge and bed is strong enough to mount the TV arm without additional reinforcement ? If so I'd ask them to let me attach the arm after we pickup the trailer in July.

Regards, Bob
d

You can get reinforced walls. but there is a reinforced corners where our TV arm was mounted that should be more than sufficient. See attached pics from our 17B.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3691.jpg   IMG_3692.jpg   tv bracket.jpg  
Old 03-18-2019, 06:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
d

You can get reinforced walls. but there is a reinforced corners where our TV arm was mounted that should be more than sufficient. See attached pics from our 17B.
perfect ! now I understand, thanks, Bob
Old 03-18-2019, 06:59 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Somewhat off topic, but we have chosen to view media on our 17" computer while sitting side by side on the bed supported by pillows, with the computer situated between us on a plastic box. The viewing distance of 20" or so gives the same field of view as a 30" tv mounted on the opposite wall. Moreover, the computer is put away when not in use and does not take up any of the limited space in the 17B.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:24 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Thought it was reported recently that ETI is not doing 12V drops any more. I did tie into my under counter lights with no problems. Drilled a hole very close to outside edge near corner.

ETI will do a “reasonable number” of 12v drops. We have three on our build sheet finalized last week.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote