17B wardrobe by dinette & top 3 options - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2017, 06:44 PM   #41

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
So basically the extra insulation is in the areas you can not see, behind the exposed vinyl and basically below the belly band under the seats, bed,kitchen, and as he states, the entire trailer is now covered except the floor, which I thought was clearly conveyed in my response.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:48 PM   #42

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If you order a trailer with the Standard Insulation Package it comes with the headliner material glued directly to the fiberglass shell. We will then cover any exposed or visible areas under the benches with the Reflectix Insulation.

If you add the Extra Insulation option, Reflectix Insulation then completely covers the interior of the trailer (except the floor). However, the 21' Escape and the NEW Escape 5.0 Tandem Axle Fifth Wheel, we do not line the ceiling with Reflectix, we use a honeycomb material in the fiberglass process which strengthens the roof and provides additional insulation.
It should be pointed out that this is pre 2017 information. They don't use Reflectix anymore, at least not in my trailer with the extra insulation option. The insulation is now 1/2" foam insulation.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:50 PM   #43

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes the material has changed but the process is still the same. If you look at the build pictures some have the extra, some does not, before the vinyl is applied.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:58 PM   #44

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Here is what Reace said awhile back
Hello Everyone,

We would like to take a moment to clarify a couple of things regarding the Extra Insulation with Thermal Window Option.

If you order a trailer with the Standard Insulation Package it comes with the headliner material glued directly to the fiberglass shell. We will then cover any exposed or visible areas under the benches with the Reflectix Insulation.

If you add the Extra Insulation option, Reflectix Insulation then completely covers the interior of the trailer (except the floor). However, the 21' Escape and the NEW Escape 5.0 Tandem Axle Fifth Wheel, we do not line the ceiling with Reflectix, we use a honeycomb material in the fiberglass process which strengthens the roof and provides additional insulation.

During the last 5-6 months we have been changing the method of insulation throughout the trailer including:
- behind the bathroom
- wheel wells
- exterior door

This is why you are seeing the differences between your trailers. If you have ordered a trailer with the Extra Insulation but do not see it in your trailer, you may have to peel the headliner back slightly.

Thank you,

Reace
the second to last paragraph says that during the last 5-6 months things have changed but they don't state if this change is for those that order extra insulation or all trailer orders. It seems to be a new paragraph.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:00 PM   #45

Quote:
Yes the material has changed but the process is still the same. If you look at the build pictures some have the extra, some does not, before the vinyl is applied.
How old are the build photos you're referring to?
Old 09-11-2017, 07:02 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Were you referring to me? Jim's answer was dang on.
Checking our build pictures, a classic '16, there is insulation from top to bottom between the wall and the "insulated" headliner.
Pretty sure the headliner will give some insulation, but the stuff put in between the outside wall and the inside wall, when ordering extra insulation, will be very costly as an after construction option.
The word "EXTRA" is probably the answer to the question about wether or not a standard Escape trailer has insulation.
the materials and process has/have changed since your Classic 16.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:16 PM   #47

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
the materials and process has/have changed since your Classic 16.
Quote:

Just trying to help here
Old 09-11-2017, 07:21 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post

Just trying to help here

Hey!, I appreciate that, I just keep getting vague information.

I originally just wanted to give my opinion, to the original poster, that any and all options can be done at a later date, based on the current info and option list provided by Escape Trailer's brochure. I've read about members pouring over and sweating over build sheets unnecessarily. My advice was to get your trailer, and hit the road and sweat the options after you get more cash and really know, from experience what you want.

My had Escape install twin 12 volt batteries on my 17b. I assumed, and still assume that twin 6 volt batteries can and could be installed the same way. (one on the bumper and one under the bed.
Donna mentioned that it might be difficult to install a bathroom. The OP was ordering a 17b so the point was moot.
The insulation aspect was brought up and then the confusion (to me anyway) started. The brochure is old and out of date and gives vague inconsistent information. Escape has changed methods, and materials and maybe pricing without editing.
Maybe the insulation IS THE ONLY OPTION that cannot be done at a later time. Maybe sweat over that option and relax over the others, because they can all be done at a later time. I've seen so many mods on this site I don't see why this option list can't be done by the user or by Escape Trailer Industries.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:37 PM   #49

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
Quote:
Hello Everyone,

We would like to take a moment to clarify a couple of things regarding the Extra Insulation with Thermal Window Option.

During the last 5-6 months we have been changing the method of insulation throughout the trailer including:
- behind the bathroom
- wheel wells
- exterior door

This is why you are seeing the differences between your trailers. If you have ordered a trailer with the Extra Insulation but do not see it in your trailer, you may have to peel the headliner back slightly.

Thank you,

Reace
Hey Jim,
Do you know the date of Reace's info?
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:52 PM   #50

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Exposed areas of the walls and the ceiling are all covered with the same material. The only areas without this vinyl-faced foam headliner are inside some cabinets. Some of the photos in the It's Friday! - 2017 and beyond! thread show this well; however, you need to look somewhat carefully to distinguish between the off-white headliner and the white insulation.

Quote:
Quote:
Hello Everyone,

Since then, the Reflectix has been replaced by the white closed-cell poly foam mentioned earlier. The rest of the description presumably still applies.

It isn't really the belly seam that matters to the insulation and covering material - it's the cabinets.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:55 PM   #51

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapitre View Post
Do you know the date of Reace's info?
That quote is from Reace's post #63, of 2013 November 27, in the thread Extra Insulation and Spray Foam Insulation??
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:59 PM   #52

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
Thanks Brian.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:19 PM   #53

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
This is what I did

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...age-11059.html
Old 09-11-2017, 08:40 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Exposed areas of the walls and the ceiling are all covered with the same material. The only areas without this vinyl-faced foam headliner are inside some cabinets. Some of the photos in the It's Friday! - 2017 and beyond! thread show this well; however, you need to look somewhat carefully to distinguish between the off-white headliner and the white insulation.

Since then, the Reflectix has been replaced by the white closed-cell poly foam mentioned earlier. The rest of the description presumably still applies.

It isn't really the belly seam that matters to the insulation and covering material - it's the cabinets.
Are you quoting information regarding the standard insulation package or the Optional Extra Insulation package? In other words, is the stock, standard, no frills Escape trailer covered with a unique insulated vinyl headliner/wall covering, like the brochure says, on its walls and it's ceiling? or only partial walls? It's kind of hard to get this answer from the forum.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:03 PM   #55

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
If you don't order the extra insulation option you are just getting the vinyl headliner material with a thin 3/8" foam backing. They might call it "insulated" but it isn't much. They state R-5 on the ETI website. When "extra insulation" was opted for on older trailers you had varying degrees of Reflectix applied with improvements made over the years which is the basis of Reace's clarifications. The extra insulation package on the newer trailer molds gets you the closed-cell poly foam applied underneath in most areas. If you study the newer build photos closely you will also see some Reflectix still used - primarily behind the refrigerators and bathrooms.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:14 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
If you don't order the extra insulation option you are just getting the vinyl headliner material with a thin 3/8" foam backing. They might call it "insulated" but it isn't much. They state R-5 on the ETI website. When "extra insulation" was opted for on older trailers you had varying degrees of Reflectix applied with improvements made over the years which is the basis of Reace's clarifications. The extra insulation package on the newer trailer molds gets you the closed-cell poly foam applied underneath in most areas. If you study the newer build photos closely you will also see some Reflectix still used - primarily behind the refrigerators and bathrooms.
So, is the 3/8" headliner material installed on walls and ceiling? Like the brochure indicates?
Old 09-11-2017, 11:19 PM   #57

Trailer: 2018 17B / 2010 GMC Sierra
Great discussion

Thank you to everyone. Lots of good advice and items to think about and investigate further. I think once we get the trailer next year taking off and having some fun with it is a point well made. We don't have any experience with this style of travelling so realistically we won't really know what will work for us until we gain some experience. As also pointed out these trailers come well equipped stock so I guess we shouldn't fret too much about the options (especially coming from tent camping).

I agree that most options can be added after we take delivery there are a few that would make sense to do at time of build (upgraded windows and extra insulation). It seems that the two 6 volt batteries and solar panels are also useful.

Thanks again,

Scott
lilkuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:07 AM   #58

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Portable solar?

Just read this string. I'm surprised everyone likes the fixed solar so much. Our portable solar panel always met our needs with our Scamp. We did order the dual six volts for our new unit, along with a Zamp solar port to plug in our 60 watt Renogy panel. On other threads, I found that several owners with the fixed panels still also used portable panels! With all LEDs and dual batteries, I can't imagine that we would ever run out of battery power. Of course, we did not order an inverter or micowave, nor do we anticipate using any new power sucking devices.

"It is better to travel well than to arrive" - Buddha
Ljswany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:54 AM   #59

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilkuma View Post
Thank you to everyone. Lots of good advice and items to think about and investigate further. I think once we get the trailer next year taking off and having some fun with it is a point well made. We don't have any experience with this style of travelling so realistically we won't really know what will work for us until we gain some experience. As also pointed out these trailers come well equipped stock so I guess we shouldn't fret too much about the options (especially coming from tent camping).

I agree that most options can be added after we take delivery there are a few that would make sense to do at time of build (upgraded windows and extra insulation). It seems that the two 6 volt batteries and solar panels are also useful.

Thanks again,

Scott
We decided to pay a small amount extra and have our trailer prewired for solar just in case we wanted to add it later, which we did, but in fact only six months later. If you don't have the budget now, but may do in the future, its one way of considering it as certain retro fit items are much easier than others.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:10 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilkuma View Post

Thanks again,

Scott
I'm sure you find a number of options you'll want to add or change once you've owned your trailer for a while. That's the beauty of Escape Trailer. Options can wait, because options can be done at any time except, of course, the insulation. Happy trails, don't sweat the build sheet... it's all doable sooner or later.